F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my tune in from Casey at BCB yesterday afternoon. He turned it around in about 24 hours, which I wasn't expecting. Pleasant surprise. I was able to get it loaded onto the truck this morning. For those that don't know, I've been running the BCB Highlander adaptive octane performance tune for about a month. I also ran the BCB MacGyver towing tune for the past couple of days just to check it out. I've been running 93 octane the whole time and still am. OAR has been pegged at -1.00 ever since I got my nGauge tuner a month ago. I'm running NGK 6510 (one step colder) spark plugs gapped at 0.028" that I installed right before I loaded the HIghlander.

Since I loaded it this morning, I would say that my truck is still learning the tune. I did take a trip an hour down I-10 and back today for work, so it does have some miles on it. I was able to do some spirited passing on the interstate. For comparison, last month when I loaded the Highlander tune, I noticed drastic improvements to the feel of the tune over the first 48 hours when I'd say it got fully settled in. I really liked the Highlander tune and still do. The MacGyver was good too, but not quite as nice as the Highlander. It is meant for towing though (which I haven't done yet), so I can better describe that one next time I tow.

The 93 Performance tune feels a lot like the Highlander right now. Since this is Version 1.0, it's conservative on the power until I do a datalog and send it in for review / revision. I've yet to do any WOT runs. Some things I notice in comparison to the Highlander:

1. Even though this is the most conservative this tune will be right out of the gate, I'm seeing higher boost across the board.
2. Knock Retard is seeming to stay more negative more often, even while cruising the interstate.
3. When I was first getting on the road after filling up with gas, I noticed that my coolant temp hit 219*, which is the highest I've ever seen it. It was within the usual range the rest of the trip though.

I've got the nGauge ready to go for datalogging, so I'll probably try to do some tomorrow or Friday and this weekend and send the logs into Casey for review / revision. I'll try to keep this post updated with the results.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thanks for the review...Looking forward to your updates

·
Registered
38 Posts
Around revision 3 he will have you pretty well dialed in and seeing max boost levels they run. Each revision gets better as Im sure is the same with most other companies. Glad you are having a good experience...Im a big fan of those guys.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I haven't had an opportunity to datalog due to consistent rain around here since I loaded the tune. I'm looking forward to the revision process. I don't know what to expect since I've never gotten a revised tune before, but from everyone's descriptions, it sounds like it'll provide noticeable improvements.

At this point, really the only other thing for me to report on the original version of the tune is that I have seen some positive knock retard numbers accelerating moderately from a stop. It's not every time, but I have noticed it. KR stays negative or zero most other times, including staying very negative at higher throttle. I'm sure Casey will get it all sorted out and optimized once he reviews my datalog.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally stopped raining long enough for me to log a couple 20-80MPH WOT runs on Friday. Sent them in to Casey Friday afternoon. Should be about a week before I get my revised tune in. Can't wait to check out the difference. Will report back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Finally stopped raining long enough for me to log a couple 20-80MPH WOT runs on Friday. Sent them in to Casey Friday afternoon. Should be about a week before I get my revised tune in. Can't wait to check out the difference. Will report back.

Have their custom tune on my 2.7. I use the Highlander most of the time as I have traction problems with the custom tune, need dry and not too cool temperatures to keep the tires hooked up. It is a blaster when I do use it!
Remember to tell Casey your shifting preferences, I use + 5% with the Highlander and he added that to the finished tune. Took me 3 updates to finish, each a boost on the earlier version. KM

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have their custom tune on my 2.7. I use the Highlander most of the time as I have traction problems with the custom tune, need dry and not too cool temperatures to keep the tires hooked up. It is a blaster when I do use it!
Remember to tell Casey your shifting preferences, I use + 5% with the Highlander and he added that to the finished tune. Took me 3 updates to finish, each a boost on the earlier version. KM
That's for the info! I loved the Highlander tune. Very impressive for a non-custom adaptive octane tune.

I'm very interested to see the difference in this custom tune after a log and revision. As I mentioned, the first / original version of the 93 Performance is very similar to the Highlander tune, and that's with making more boost. Can't wait to see what a custom revision will yield, as I've never gone through the process before...

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
Dangit I wish I had that problem!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my first revision from Casey at BCB yesterday afternoon and loaded it up. Put a few miles on it yesterday, and about 20 miles on it this afternoon. Feels much better! KR is even lower on average than it was before (I've heard that usually means there's more potential). The mid-range and high end power is very strong. Low end feels about the same (as the Highlander and the original 93). Shifting is about the same (as Highlander / original 93). Very pleased with this step up. Casey said he gave me 1 PSI more max boost with this revision and aligned the spark under WOT.

I'll ride with this one for a while and then do some more datalogs and send them in. Will likely do a couple more 20-80MPH WOT runs again this time. Then, next time, I might send it some spirited daily driving logs 0-60MPH and 50-85MPH moderate throttle) to refine that as well. So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Iv'e gotta get with the times and learn to data log...... can't be too difficult.....

Sounds like you on the right track.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iv'e gotta get with the times and learn to data log...... can't be too difficult.....

Sounds like you on the right track.....
It's as easy as can be. There's nothing to it on the nGauge. You just hit record (after setting up the PIDs you want to log).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did u ever end up towing with the Macgyver tune? Likes/Dislikes?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Nope, never did... not yet at least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Drew3419
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing