F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
675 Posts
Machine shop could turn those down pretty quick to the same size and the factory? Best of both worlds….

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2020 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4, 3.5L, SuperCrew, 6.5' Bed
77 Posts
Disappointing to hear that the FactionFab studs interfere with the flange on the AMS downpipe. FWIW, I ordered the same and have yet to install. I guess a visit to the machine shop will be in order.

Does the downpipe flange only have minor interference with the larger bolt section on the stud. I'm curious if it could be fixed by grinding off the corners on the bolt so a ratchet could still be used to remove the stud if needed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I received the FactionFab studs today. The nut portion of the stud definitely will not insert through the hole on the flange of the AMS downpipe but that is a minor clearance problem IMHO.

It is probably too late in your case but a simple solution would be to put each stud on a vice and use a grinder to remove about 1mm off of the corners of each nut area on the stud. After doing so, the nut portion on the stud can still be used to torque down the turbo adapter while also being able to pass through the flange on the AMS downpipe itself so everything can be tightened together to have a solid connection.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That is actually a PIC of the stud before trimming the corners off of the nut. I posted it so people could see that not much trimming is needed on the nut for it to pass through the flange.

I'll grind the corners off and post another PIC after modifying.

·
Moderstrator
1,870 Posts
It looks like the corners already fit inside? I thought you were already done grinding!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why not enlarge the hole rather than cutting the corners off? Seems like less risk of stripping it out, plus probably easier to do. Or am I missing something
I thought about that since the flange has a tapered edge where the stud passes through. The only problem with widening that hole is that the nut on the other end will have even less surface material to bite into when tightening down.

Automotive tire Rim Carbon Composite material Auto part

·
Registered
77 Posts
I only needed to use a file to knock down the corners of the nut.

Household hardware Auto part Nickel Metal Titanium

A 15mm socket can still be used to torque the stud down when installing. Here is a PIC showing the nut portion of the stud that is now able to pass through the flange so the fluted end of the downpipe can now tighten against the turbo adapter.

Household hardware Auto part Bicycle part Fashion accessory Metal

21 - 31 of 31 Posts