F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!

have you noticed any poor build quality issues on your truck? Ive noticed when i close my door, you can see the sheet metal on the door wobble quite a bit. Also the screen on my 2013's radio sometimes lags when i press a button, or it will be completely black for 5 or 6 seconds after i press a button. Have you guys noticed these or other things?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Nope but my front bumper gap doesn't match on each side, my bed rattles like a shock is out while driving, my ac won't blow cold unless I get some extended drive time first when it's hot, my tranny shifts rough from 2-3 and 1-2 in long stop and go traffic periods, when I first start the truck and let off the ebrake the truck won't move without substantial more throttle than it should need and it shoots off once you get it to move, I've been told it clunks when shifting into reverse (I'm thinking the driveshaft yoke issue), drivers door rattles when driving, engine idles rough every now and then, really annoying front dash high pitch plastic on metal screech from time to time.

So no not your issues but little issues I find annoying for a new truck. If I hadn't got such a good deal on it, I'd be extremely pissed. I don't want perfect but I bought new to get the little things to work right haha.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hahahahaha... Oh man, now you've got me worried.

When I push my back into the seat I can sometimes hear creaking noises coming from the lumbar adjustment. My front door isn't perfectly aligned to my back door on the passenger side. My front bumper seems to stick out more on one side than the other. Im really reaching on this stuff though. Need to give it more time to see what really annoys me, and where possible I'll take it in and have them try to make it right.

·
Registered
873 Posts
That's what in doing too. I'm at 4500 miles so I'm testing until prolly 10k and them ill take it in for adjustments. Not extremely worried about any of it specifically, just a little frustrated by it all overall together.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Some of the ergonomics suck. I shouldn't have to bend and look around the steering wheel for the key hole or pedal adjuster. When driving, accessing the USB or line in is difficult, especially if middle seat-back is down. There are also too many damn buttons on the radio and the visor only wants to lock in one position. The Sync has some issues.

Other than that, the driver's door rattles some when I'm on rough pavement.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey folks!

have you noticed any poor build quality issues on your truck? Ive noticed when i close my door, you can see the sheet metal on the door wobble quite a bit. Also the screen on my 2013's radio sometimes lags when i press a button, or it will be completely black for 5 or 6 seconds after i press a button. Have you guys noticed these or other things?
Does your truck have SYNC with or without MFT? Upgrading to MFT 3.6.2 as resolved a number of issues for many people. Response is better in most cases. It's not perfect but a far cry from where SYNC and MFT was 24 months ago.

I've noted the same issues and others:

The door skins flutter when shutting the door. I don't believe this has anything to do with the individual build, but something that sources from the '09 cab redesign to increase cab space. The front doors where lengthened as part of this. I don't recollect experiencing the '08 and earlier models having this issue. Related the entire door when closing into the B pillar striker reverberates. You can see it visually. It's not a solid stop when it contacts the striker and pillar. Almost like the door has a 25 pound weight inside.

Design of the door open detent. There's one. You get two choices, 15 degrees or fully open. No reason for not having another detent at 30 degrees. The detent won't hold the door open, even on a slight hill doors are so heavy the door won't stay open. Even sideways on the hill same issue. If your not your not paying attention you may get severely punished by the door assaulting you. )

The hood to quarter panel alignment at the top of the headlight bezel is around 3/16" off.

No corrosion protection on the front spindles and rear axle. Or if it's there it's limited.

Under the hood there's several instances of wiring going to components that's not seethed. One example the IAT. Its wrapped in tape. Different and better choices could have been made.

Don't care for the third gear to first gear deceleration transmission strategy from 23 mph to 3mph. If you call on throttle at 7pm or close, takes an considerable amount of time for the truck to figure out and execute on the acceleration command.

Found a rubber band floating loose around the hood release cable close to the hood release mechanism. Strange not sure what that was left over from.

The AC performance is poor. The auto temperature AC seems to have only one fan position, around 3/4 of full all the time. Other vehicles I've owned would manage temperature by setting the output on cold and varying the fan speed to regulate the cabin temperature. I'm not sure how Ford qualified this system.

Other than that I love my truck :) I think I love my old one more every day. Which I could have both. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Found a rubber band floating loose around the hood release cable close to the hood release mechanism. Strange not sure what that was left over from.
There are rubber bands tying up the tether straps for the child seats in the back. Maybe one of those found it's way over there.

Here's my list of annoyances, don't really have any build quality concerns so far but I've only got 2000km on it so far.

-Mine has been rock solid, no rattles or creaks of any kind so far.
-The only thing out of alignment were the stickers on the windows which I got rid of.
-My FX4 decal on the drivers side has a few bubbles in it but I have an in with a shop that specializes in that and they are going to take care of it while they put the 3M rock guard on the leading edges and rocker panels.
-I don't much care for the wobble in the sheet metal on the door and one guy I know shied away from buying a new truck because of that issue, I bet you could fix it with some spray foam insulation but I'm not willing to rip the door panel apart just yet.
-I too find it could use another detent on the door opening as it's tricky in some parking spaces to keep the door in check. Pretty well all the vehicles I have owned seem to overlook this simple thing that would be an excellent feature. On a positive note the rear doors on my screw seem to be just short enough to open fully in most parking spaces which makes getting my son out of his carseat easy. The same can't be said for our Q7.
-The update on the SYNC system seems to have made it a bit faster and easier to use. I think it will continue to get better.
-I hate that the rear parking aid comes on by default every time you shut down and start the truck up. I use a bike carrier and I would like it to stay off until I turn it back on. Maybe there is a way to set the default but I haven't figured that out yet.
-I don't like the cruise control downshifting when not in towhaul mode. Drove highway 40 here in Alberta which some might be familiar with and it was shifting non stop. Putting it in manual of course stopped it but there should be an option.
-I'm average height at 5'9" and it's tricky getting at the oil dipstick. They could have extended that a few inches I think so I wouldn't have to rub up against the truck to get at it.
-SIRIUS is nice to have here in Canada, we have plenty of areas where there are simply no radio stations. I do have a problem paying for a service and having to deal with commercials. Precisely why I do not pay for cable or satellite at home. I can't see continuing with it when the freebie runs out.

Overall the build quality of the truck seems great and I simply can't keep my foot out of it ;). I am however annoyed with the quality of the plastic parts on the bakflip cover I got. Had the truck two weeks and every time I open the cover the damn struts have bounced out of the clips. Went to rotate one of them and the cheap plastic ball joint on the end disintegrated. I see you can get parts on their website but plastic like that has no place on a truck IMO. If it's brittle like that now I can't imagine how they will last when it gets cold.

Edit: bak is going to send me a new prop rod, will have to be more careful.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Here's my thoughts after reading all these comments. These trucks are ultimately made by humans (i.e. us). Put some thought into it the next time you are at "work" doing your job....don't let quality issues slide in your line of work either. Because, somebody, somewhere is bitching about that on some other forum too. :)

Reactions: Crouse

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have noticed that the gap between my front bumper and plastic piece above it don't have the same spacing and there is more space in the middle under the grill than in the corners. The hood and quarter panels don't line up perfect either and my front passenger door sounds loose when closing and not solid. I also notice a hard idle sometimes when starting after it has sit over night. might be nitpicking but when the sticker price on anything is over 50k I expect certain things. Oh and yes my sync and MFT does lag sometimes and resets but after having the system in my last 2 explorers before this i have gotten use to that and except it, after all it is microsoft system so i don't expect to much out of it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Design of the door open detent. There's one. You get two choices, 15 degrees or fully open. No reason for not having another detent at 30 degrees. The detent won't hold the door open, even on a slight hill doors are so heavy the door won't stay open.
Already noticing this... At the first detent, you have to really squeeze in there (portly gentlemen need not apply). And from there it has nothing to hold it back from swinging all the way open and getting ganked by the door stops. I am already worried about passengers un-knowingly letting the door open into other peoples cars. Not cool.

·
Registered
360 Posts
And for the record, it's not really a "build quality" issue, but whoever designed the space for the spare tire kit should be fired! Just took it out for the first time, and while it didnt come out the first time easy, I put it back in to see if I could figure out a better way to do it and it got so jammed in there it was a fight just to get it free. I finally gave up, slid it back to the passenger side and put the screws to it again. A half inch bigger opening please!?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my truck, but like some of you all I have noticed a few things. sorry in advance if someone has aready mentioned these. grab the rear bumper at the corners and notice how week it is. I had an 08 with virtually the same bumper and it did'nt move like this one. Then ,take a look under the truck on the back side of the rocker panels there are several golf ball size holes covered by a duct tape materia,l which on mine is aready starting to peel off. Oh, while your under the truck look at the park brake cable rubbing against the front left running bourd bracket. not to keep going on and on but my check engine light came on at 5200 miles, took it in last week it turned out to be the catylatic converter. all is good now.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess mine's still too new (380 miles) - no issues yet...

Mike :D

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey folks!

I've noticed the door wobble, but the door panel is huge...so I'd expect that.
As far as the MFT, I've had multiple problems. Screen going black, turning up the volume and then there being a black square on the screen for awhile, BT not working, Voice command freaking out and freezing the MFT, iPod's stopping in middle of play (happened to three different iPods). The MFT system is up to date, had it done at dealer before I left in June.

Other than than, I LOVE the truck.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I hate the random "scheduled system maintenance" at the worst possible time. One time on the hour long drive home it did it every five minutes.

I also hate how slow the response time is and it loves to freeze. Those are my only gripes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts