F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing my 2012 F150 King Ranch I noticed that there was a wide open place in my front lower bumper that allowed air to come in for my Ecoboost intercooler. I read that if a rock or even a bug flying in there at 50+mph could severly damage my intercooler and cost $$$'s. I got on Ebay and found a nice stainless steel bumper billet grill kit for around $40. After you open the hood you can easily install it within 10 minutes or so. The grill not only looks good but gives you some peace of mind too that your intercooler has some protection.:) IMG_0171.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep.. I had one installed on my truck too.. I did not like the idea of a rock or stick getting into the inter cooler area..

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Looked in there this morning to see what's needed to make something. The ones pictured above leave no provision for the engine heater cord so I'm going to attach to the bumper bracket a little further back. Got some expanded metal and weld steel strap this afternoon. Photos to come soon.

Update:
Just finished fabrication and when paint dries will be ready to install. Film at 11...

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Finished the install a few minutes ago. Looks good and is set back far enough its not noticable unless you're looking for it! Here's some photos of the fabrication process and install. Cut strapping to 7.75" on the truck left and 7.5 right. After making a cardboard template I welded the straps sandwich style through drilled holes to frame the screen. Did it this way because my stick welder is quite unfriendly with thin materials like that!

DSC08146.JPG DSC08147.JPG DSC08149.JPG DSC08151.JPG DSC08150.JPG

More...

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Next was to cut a piece 18" long for a header. Sandwiched that as well. Then I test fit the screen to the truck and found a near perfect fit. I did remove the aftercooler cross member mount to make it much easier to get the screen in and out for final fit, etc. The cord for the engine heater had to be relocated to avoice a big ugly notch needing to be cut in the screen. The retainer simply pulls out of the hole and was inserted in reverse in the same hole and the connector now rests on the left tow hook. After locating and drilling the two mounting holes a final fit was done and the screen painted with gloss black enamel and baked dry.

DSC08158.JPG DSC08153.JPG DSC08155.JPG DSC08156.JPG DSC08157.JPG

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
After drying, the final install went without a hitch. Re installed the aftercooler mount and buttoned it up!
As you can see, its nearly invisible and will get the job done with minimal airflow restriction. Total cost? Twenty five bucks and two hours work.

DSC08162.JPG DSC08159.JPG DSC08160.JPG DSC08161.JPG

By the way, we got ice and snow last night and it was colder than a witches heart in the Klondike out in the driveway doing this today!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I didn't pay attention as it was the only piece Lowes had and it fit what I had in mind. I think it was 18 or 20 gauge. Thanks for the kudos!

·
Registered
11 Posts
After purchasing my 2012 F150 King Ranch I noticed that there was a wide open place in my front lower bumper that allowed air to come in for my Ecoboost intercooler. I read that if a rock or even a bug flying in there at 50+mph could severly damage my intercooler and cost $$$'s. I got on Ebay and found a nice stainless steel bumper billet grill kit for around $40. After you open the hood you can easily install it within 10 minutes or so. The grill not only looks good but gives you some peace of mind too that your intercooler has some protection.:) View attachment 92
Like the way the Bumper Grille looks. ordered one yesterday. My truck looks exactly like the one in your picture except for the chrome on the hood and above the headlights, is that an add on? haven't seen that before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks good Mike, Found one on line, Will be putting it on when it gets here, love the color of your truck, what model is it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
After purchasing my 2012 F150 King Ranch I noticed that there was a wide open place in my front lower bumper that allowed air to come in for my Ecoboost intercooler. I read that if a rock or even a bug flying in there at 50+mph could severly damage my intercooler and cost $$$'s. I got on Ebay and found a nice stainless steel bumper billet grill kit for around $40. After you open the hood you can easily install it within 10 minutes or so. The grill not only looks good but gives you some peace of mind too that your intercooler has some protection.:) View attachment 92
Billet Grille looks good, after seeing this I ordered one for my truck. where did you find the chrome on the hood & over the headlights? Is it a bug deflector?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice just ordered mine today for my 2012 EB. I am sure I will like the look and that it will save on repairs down the road, but I just read that anything that covers the opening more than 5% will cause problems. Have you heard any of this or heard of any problems with these grilles?

·
Registered
3 Posts
very nice!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts