F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 93 Posts
Looked in there this morning to see what's needed to make something. The ones pictured above leave no provision for the engine heater cord so I'm going to attach to the bumper bracket a little further back. Got some expanded metal and weld steel strap this afternoon. Photos to come soon.

Update:
Just finished fabrication and when paint dries will be ready to install. Film at 11...

Finished the install a few minutes ago. Looks good and is set back far enough its not noticable unless you're looking for it! Here's some photos of the fabrication process and install. Cut strapping to 7.75" on the truck left and 7.5 right. After making a cardboard template I welded the straps sandwich style through drilled holes to frame the screen. Did it this way because my stick welder is quite unfriendly with thin materials like that!

Wood Table Metal
Bumper Metal
Japanese chisel Tool Chisel Wood Burin
Cage Mesh Chain-link fencing Animal shelter Muridae
Auto part Suspension Automotive exterior Bumper Suspension part

More...

Next was to cut a piece 18" long for a header. Sandwiched that as well. Then I test fit the screen to the truck and found a near perfect fit. I did remove the aftercooler cross member mount to make it much easier to get the screen in and out for final fit, etc. The cord for the engine heater had to be relocated to avoice a big ugly notch needing to be cut in the screen. The retainer simply pulls out of the hole and was inserted in reverse in the same hole and the connector now rests on the left tow hook. After locating and drilling the two mounting holes a final fit was done and the screen painted with gloss black enamel and baked dry.

Iron Glass Window Metal Art
Automotive exterior Bumper
Vehicle Car Auto part Compact car Engine
Metal

After drying, the final install went without a hitch. Re installed the aftercooler mount and buttoned it up!
As you can see, its nearly invisible and will get the job done with minimal airflow restriction. Total cost? Twenty five bucks and two hours work.

Vehicle registration plate Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car
Automotive exterior Bumper Grille Vehicle Car
Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle

By the way, we got ice and snow last night and it was colder than a witches heart in the Klondike out in the driveway doing this today!

Check out the first page, M, I posted photos of the one I fabricated a couple months back. Only problem is the paint wasn't sufficient to prevent some surface rust. I'll fix that soon when the weather cooperates a bit better!

1 - 10 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.