F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post! I have had an ecoboost before (2011) and absolutely loved it, and sold it like an idiot. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2015 F-150 Lariat, crew cab, 5.5 bed, 80k miles, for $20,000. It was in an accident before where only the two passenger side doors were replaced (funny enough with super duty doors, the powerstroke tag is still there, adding 15 hp). If there is no structural damage and everything works fine, is this a good option or should i remain clear from it? I'm about to take a look at it here in a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Might not be Super Duty doors... the F150 with the 3.0 Diesel also gets the "Power Stroke" badging.

Salvage titles are inherently problematic from a vehicle registration and insurance perspective. You'd better make sure you have your ducks in a row there. I also have to wonder why a truck got a salvage title even though only 2 doors were replaced... there's gotta be more to that story, and that "more" is what will bite you on the arse.

Finally, KBB says a mid-range 2015 Lariat 5.5' SCrew with 80K on the clock is valued in the $26K-$31K range. $20K sounds awful steep for a truck with a salvage title. I wouldn't consider it for a few K. If the price was $10K, maybe that would be a different story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might not be Super Duty doors... the F150 with the 3.0 Diesel also gets the "Power Stroke" badging.

Salvage titles are inherently problematic from a vehicle registration and insurance perspective. You'd better make sure you have your ducks in a row there. I also have to wonder why a truck got a salvage title even though only 2 doors were replaced... there's gotta be more to that story, and that "more" is what will bite you on the arse.

Finally, KBB says a mid-range 2015 Lariat 5.5' SCrew with 80K on the clock is valued in the $26K-$31K range. $20K sounds awful steep for a truck with a salvage title. I wouldn't consider it for a few K. If the price was $10K, maybe that would be a different story.
Yeah, I'll have to keep doing the research on it. I would also have it inspected by my mechanic to clear it up as well. If i can talk him down quite a bit for what its worth then that could work, depending on the issues associated with it. Thank you, is there any other advice? or a good place to look for used F150s for sale? I'm in no rush to buy, but if there's a good deal I may take advantage of it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is the vehicle still acrually Salvage, or has it been inspected, approved, and moved to Rebuilt status? 20k is too much IMO.

I also agree with the above, the truck didnt get totalled over 2 doors. Theres more to that story.

That being said, I have no problem with Rebuilt title vehicles. I currently daily drive one. You can typically Carry full coverage insurance on them AS LONG AS it's not from the company that originally deemed the vehicle a loss. Also, Lightstream will give you loans on them. My neighbor got a loan on an R title SRT8 Chrysler 300 from his local credit union, which i think is Seven Seventeen. Anyway, my point is you have options and as long as it's been properly repaired Its nothing to be afraid of. Just dont overpay.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Definitely not SuperDuty doors, as tvsjr stated. But admittedly, there must be an F150 Powerstroke in the salvage yard somewhere. Kind of sad. :(

Salvage title....... I have a strong opinion, based on personal experience..... And I think as long as you KNOW going into it what the repercussions are, no worries.

First, it's 100% a value-equa$ion. Period. And the value is not in your favor unless it's SO MUCH in your favor that you can't go wrong. What I mean by that is the bargain is SO good that you don't mind the fact that you have ZERO warranty, you have ZERO trade in value, and your insurance company is going to treat you like you are a liability insurance customer only. (Although you might get them to agree to a comprehensive policy based on a low value)

Basically, I ask myself will I be satisfied with being the only owner from here on out for the life of the vehicle. If I can honestly say yes, and it's a BARGAIN even in those circumstances, then yea, go for it.

Notice I have not addressed anything related to the vehicle being in perfect running condition. I am assuming that you will do the due diligence on that regard?

Below is a Salvage title car that I picked up a couple of years ago. The price was just too good to pass up, considering I had photos of the crash and could clearly see it was cosmetic. In fact, had the airbags not deployed, it probably wouldn't have been totaled by the insurance company. I drive it daily, and honestly, because it was inexpensive and doesn't have a warranty, I think I abuse it even more. Which is a hoot!

I personally would rather see the truck you are looking at be sold to you for HALF the normal KBB used car sale price. So if it was pristine, that would be about $16K. If it were just "clean", then around $14K.
That's about what it would take for me to consider it a no brainer. At 20K, I would want that truck to be ABSOLUTELY perfect in every way that I could possibly measure it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I also agree. $20k for a 80k mile 2015 salvage title truck is high. I feel like, if you looked hard enough, you could possibly find a clean title 2015 for that price.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
281 Posts
Let's clear something up.

In my state, you cannot license nor insure a vehicle with a "salvage title".

You can, however, license and insure a vehicle with a "rebuilt title".

So, can you actually license and insure a vehicle with a salvage title in your state? Or did you mean to say the vehicle has a rebuilt title?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I would stay clear, unless the price is so low you cannot pass it up.

I recently was at the local Ford Dealership looking at a new truck. Initially, they were talking C$20,000 as a trade-in value. But when I mentioned it had two accidents (both around $4,000 each ... I wasn't even the truck when it was hit both times). Suddenly, they were talking only $10,000 for a trade-in value which I passed. Those two accidents costed me $10,000 for the decreased value (which I cannot sue for).

My point is, I only had two accidents (fender benders with my truck parked in my driveway) but the moment I mention the two accidents, either the dealership doesn't want it or they'll only take it for a bargain price. At this point, it looks like I am going to keep this truck a LONG TIME!

Imagine what they would offer it it was a "salvage or rebuilt" status?

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Let's clear something up.

In my state, you cannot license nor insure a vehicle with a "salvage title".

You can, however, license and insure a vehicle with a "rebuilt title".

So, can you actually license and insure a vehicle with a salvage title in your state? Or did you mean to say the vehicle has a rebuilt title?
Looks like the exact verbiage is "rebuilt salvage", here in Texas.
Like I said earlier, for ME, considering the circumstances, it was a fantastic deal. 14,000 miles on it and about the price of my KTM 500. So a toy at a toy price.

And the previous owner, you can look him up on Mazdas MX-5 World Cup. He drives for Team Slipstream. He's about a midpack finisher, but in reality, that's a fraction of a second behind the front runners at times. Let's just say that when he gave me a test drive with him at the wheel, I bought the car! And no, I can't do what he did with it. Dude is CrAzY good.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Looks like the exact verbiage is "rebuilt salvage", here in Texas.
In our jurisdiction, a vehicle is first classified as "Salvage" when it is written off. There hasn't been any work done to it, and it hasn't passed inspection. Also, the vehicle cannot be driven on the road. Any purchaser must resolve the reason for the "write-off" before it can again be driven on the road.

Once it's be satisfactorily repaired AND can pass inspection, it is then called "Rebuilt" and driven on the road.

Also, in my jurisdiction, Insurance Companies must pay within 21 days, if a vehicle stolen and not found within the 21 days.

Once the owner has been paid out, should the vehicle be recovered, it will immediately be called "Salvage" and sold off at auction. This happens whether the vehicle has lots of damage or none. Once they are written off (regardless of reason or severity), they are deemed "salvage".

To the original poster, you MAY get a great bargain, but make sure you know exactly why it was "salvaged" and then if there is anything you need to do in your jurisdiction to make it road worthy. I would also check your State's rules on Salvage & Rebuilds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a 93 Mercedes for a few years which was a former salvage title car and it was a complete basket case. I did only pay $400 for the car and drove it for a few years and sold it for $1500. For an old beater, sure a salvage title is fine but I certainly wouldn't want something newer with a salvage title.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Frankentruck. At 20k you can do better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, this is my first post! I have had an ecoboost before (2011) and absolutely loved it, and sold it like an idiot. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2015 F-150 Lariat, crew cab, 5.5 bed, 80k miles, for $20,000. It was in an accident before where only the two passenger side doors were replaced (funny enough with super duty doors, the powerstroke tag is still there, adding 15 hp). If there is no structural damage and everything works fine, is this a good option or should i remain clear from it? I'm about to take a look at it here in a few minutes.
I have a 2018 3.5 XLT crewcab with a salvaged title that I brought in early 2019 with 11000 mile for $22k through Ebay and I would do it again. Between the Fox upgrade,bigger turbos,stainless high-flow exhaust,winter and sumer wheels and tires,dyno tuned and much more goodies...I have more horsepower and comfort than a stock truck costing much more. Here's one on this site 2015 Ford F-150 XLT | eBay Know this also one state will total a vehicle while another state will fix it,so is it really totaled or do the insurance company just want to cut their loss? I learned years ago while working at a dealership and never brought a new vehicle again. As far as a warranty you can buy one but all recalls the dealer have to do them by law and with the money you save who needs a warranty...just my opinion. I also have a K1200s with a salvaged title because it was dropped and the frame got scratched so the totaled the bike...because of a scratch!!!😀

1 - 14 of 14 Posts