F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ya, I'd be more worried about the temps than mpg. 9-10 is probably all it'll get, you're pulling a sail at 60+ mph. You might be able to get 10-11 if you were really conscience about your mileage.
My 12' utility trailer only allows me to get 11-13, pontoon is 9, fully loaded dump trailer (12k) was around 10 (empty was 11-12), pulled a pop up once and saw 16, 19' sea ray 15-16, 22' sea ray 13.... aerodynamics aren't your friend when towing.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I’m the same way about packing. I want all the things in there I might need.

I’m gonna grab a jug of antifreeze to keep in it while towing. Any rec on what brand or kind? Juilliard jug looked pink inside but I’ve heard orange turns pink over time. I dunno. Was also thinking a bottle of Lucas super coolant. Prob direct into the radiator.

I’m also gonna change th oil (was told it’s mobile 1 synthetic) I usually like penzoil platinum full synthetic I’ve read mobile 1 isn’t what it used to be but I’m glad it was in those turbos vs conventional. Was also gonna do a qt of Lucas oil additive (the specific synthetic one)
I’ve heard good things about it.
What weight does thing want in oil and how much?

it has the tow package as I see the trans cooler in front of the main radiator if at matteron oilvolume.

last thing, thanks for clarifying to see boost I need my obd2 wifi monitor and app. I use dash command. I think all Ford point set is $9.99. Gotta get that downloaded stat. I was tnk8g it’s lots guys talking about boost numbers that the dash gave that.

also, if I generally understand the rpm turbo situation, is it fair to say if I gear down and move rpm up that yields more hp at more rpm but lowers boost and that actually makesthe fuel mileage while towing better? Just curious if I understood that right. Sounds like it for sure yields lower run temps.
Thanks a bunch everyone.
I wouldnt bother using something like Lucas Supercoolant unless you drop the anti-freeze/water ratio down to like 40%/60% or lower. Those Water wetter type products do less and less the higher the anti-freeze concentration.

I would also use Lubegard Kool-It or Redline Water Wetter over the Lucas stuff.

Most people just run the standard 5W-30's and its totally fine. I have for almost 95k miles and abuse my truck towing. Some people around here run 0W-40 or 5W-40. I personnally will be switching to Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 which is a Euro oil. The Euro oils are more robust than the US based 5W-30's so its closer in specs to a 5W-40.

As far as oil brands, you are totally fine getting any full-synthetic that is API SP or API SN+. They are all good. I always ran the cheapest full-synthetic oil I could find. Anything from Quaker State Ultimate Durability to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to Castrol GTX Magnatec.

To move a trailer up a hill at a certain speed you need to generate a certain amount of HP. To make that amount of HP you can use a lot of torque at a little RPM, or a little torque at a lot of RPM. A lot of torque at little RPM means you need lots of boost, a little torque at a lot of RPM means you need less boost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So we got the truck today and though we left pretty late after all that with the bank and dmv and having to switch tow vehicles we took our 5500 lb about 200 miles. It was mostly flat just some basic little rolling grades.
However it tows like a dream!!

I was ultra pleased. I ran a lot in 5th gear. Some in 4th. A little in 6th. I was trying to see which gave better mpg. All sucked. The screen said about 7.75 Pretty terrible.I’m a little surprised at that low with that low of weight being pulled. I figured maybe 11-12.

Anyway, no sway no trouble. Right off the get go I was 70 and it felt like 55. I settled on running about 68. No problems.

I bought the 2013 F150 pid set on dash command. However the only thing that worked was engine temp. I tried loading a boost psi but no data would populate. I couldn’t even get trans temp to populate. I guess that was a waste of $10.
Antonella suggest an app that WILL get me these displays? I thought dash command could.

I’d like to monitor boost. Rpms seemed to always be betwee 2-3k. I thought it was so much quieter than the trailblazer and at any moment I wanted I could overtake a car or truck.

just effortless.

Anyway we will see in a few weeks when we tow to the mountains. I might be in 3rd gear but. I do feel that we will get there safely and at a decent speed.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,449 Posts
Congratulations!

As for the gas mileage...... That was far less about the weight of what you were pulling. Pulling a parachute at 70mph with an Ecoboost is a fuel glutton.

But as you experienced, it doesn't complain or cry about it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Can anyone suggest either specifically how to get dash command to show me boost and trans temp (I tried adding the Ford 2013 f150 PIDs and get only engine temp )

if it cannotcan anyone specifically give me info on another app that will? And what I need to do to set it up.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Yeah you are not getting 11-12 mpg with a full width travel trailer unless you are doing 55mph. And the Ecoboost makes it so easy to go faster than 55mph that I doubt you will be able to restrain yourself. Just give up now.

If the trailblazer got better MPG's its probably because it couldnt burn the fuel fast enough, something the Ecoboost has no trouble with. My dad has a Trailblazer SS that doesnt even get 11 mpg not towing.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah you are not getting 11-12 mpg with a full width travel trailer unless you are doing 55mph. And the Ecoboost makes it so easy to go faster than 55mph that I doubt you will be able to restrain yourself. Just give up now.

If the trailblazer got better MPG's its probably because it couldnt burn the fuel fast enough, something the Ecoboost has no trouble with. My dad has a Trailblazer SS that doesnt even get 11 mpg not towing.
ha. I’m fine with the MPG. I am not going to tow at 55. You are right it was so effortless that I was at 74 before I even realized it. I do run Maxxis M808 or M8008 tires. Whatever the right model is and they rated for I think 75-80 but still. I won’t.

I’m not worried about the mpg. Supposedly I guess some V8s do better mpg towing but prob worse I guess when just driving. I dunno. I bought it to tow with primarily and that’s the engine I wanted and trust the most.
Just left the local shop at my vacay spot getting the oil changed.
I went to one shop and got the motorcraft 500s filter another had the pennzoil platinum synthetic 5-30 and I had already bought the Lucas stabilizer quart at Walmart before I left.

got it all changed and I’ll see in the morning what it sounds like on startup. Hopefully smooth. Itsure does run good idles great and tows like a monster. Theseller said he changed the plugs and put NKG or NGK whatever they are at 100,000. So I guess as long as it’s smooth I’ll co wider those good but I would have used the motorcraft.

I’m so far super happy with the purchase of this truck.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
I'm glad you are happy with it. I wasn't being negative but for some reason thot you wouldn't like it. Put another 3000 behind it some day and see if you still love it. I do mine, but it aint for everyone and I want an F350.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
ha. I’m fine with the MPG. I am not going to tow at 55. You are right it was so effortless that I was at 74 before I even realized it. I do run Maxxis M808 or M8008 tires. Whatever the right model is and they rated for I think 75-80 but still. I won’t.

I’m not worried about the mpg. Supposedly I guess some V8s do better mpg towing but prob worse I guess when just driving. I dunno. I bought it to tow with primarily and that’s the engine I wanted and trust the most.
Just left the local shop at my vacay spot getting the oil changed.
I went to one shop and got the motorcraft 500s filter another had the pennzoil platinum synthetic 5-30 and I had already bought the Lucas stabilizer quart at Walmart before I left.

got it all changed and I’ll see in the morning what it sounds like on startup. Hopefully smooth. Itsure does run good idles great and tows like a monster. Theseller said he changed the plugs and put NKG or NGK whatever they are at 100,000. So I guess as long as it’s smooth I’ll co wider those good but I would have used the motorcraft.

I’m so far super happy with the purchase of this truck.
I’ll admit, I have pushed 80 mph a few(more than a few) times. Usually when the person in the slow lane decides to speed up and match my speed when I am in the middle of passing them.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
I’ll admit, I have pushed 80 mph a few(more than a few) times. Usually when the person in the slow lane decides to speed up and match my speed when I am in the middle of passing them.
Why do people even do that !!! Man that gets my steam up ! BTW, we don't have a slow lane here. We have a traveling lane and a passing lane. Troopers and Hwy police take it seriously, too !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hey guys. So yesterday I went and had the oil changed to pennzoilnplatinum synthetic 5 quart jug and 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. When we started it up the engine was perfect smooth an no sound on startup. When I bought it. On cold start for a half second I heard a little sound like could be phasers. Not a lot but it had been a small sound so I figured I had to address it before it became an issue. I think the new oil and the stabilizer did it. Also I had a motorcraft filter out in which has the back flow valve.

one disappointing thing was the guy pulled the air filter oil and it was black. Sickening. I was embarrassed for him to have seen that. I change air filter every year or other year. That filter had to be there years to be that black. It was so bad theoil change placesold me on a filter I knew I could buy one for 15, for 30 $! I didn’t have tome to go chance another one down.
Anyhow the engine sounded great on cold start this morning. I think we have a full on winner.

One more ask. I checked under my hood and there is no relay in 9 and no fuse in 21. Is there a specific kit I need to order for this or can I just look for some generic relay on Amazon? Help on the name or type to search for appreciated.
Thank you all

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Hey guys. So yesterday I went and had the oil changed to pennzoilnplatinum synthetic 5 quart jug and 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. When we started it up the engine was perfect smooth an no sound on startup. When I bought it. On cold start for a half second I heard a little sound like could be phasers. Not a lot but it had been a small sound so I figured I had to address it before it became an issue. I think the new oil and the stabilizer did it. Also I had a motorcraft filter out in which has the back flow valve.

one disappointing thing was the guy pulled the air filter oil and it was black. Sickening. I was embarrassed for him to have seen that. I change air filter every year or other year. That filter had to be there years to be that black. It was so bad theoil change placesold me on a filter I knew I could buy one for 15, for 30 $! I didn’t have tome to go chance another one down.
Anyhow the engine sounded great on cold start this morning. I think we have a full on winner.

One more ask. I checked under my hood and there is no relay in 9 and no fuse in 21. Is there a specific kit I need to order for this or can I just look for some generic relay on Amazon? Help on the name or type to search for appreciated.
Thank you all
Are those the trailer power relays? They may be in the glove box. Mine were.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Are those the trailer power relays? They may be in the glove box. Mine were.
yes. That relay and fuse. And my wife did not find it in the glovebox. Just the owners manual and some kind of tow cable accessory I haven’t checked out yet.

looks like there’s a missing relay from spot 9 and fuse from spot 21. So anyone know what exactly I need to buy? I honestly prob don’t need it as it charges on shore power and so far our trips are typically 200-300 miles. However if we take a long onesometime I want to know that battery is charged at all times while my fridge runs or in case I have to use the tongue Jack.
I just have to say once again how happy I am about that silent engine start this morning. That tells me I dont have a current issue and as long as I keep that oil and stabilizer in good order my chain and phasers should remain good.

so any tips on the relay and fuse from anyone seeing this is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
yes. That relay and fuse. And my wife did not find it in the glovebox. Just the owners manual and some kind of tow cable accessory I haven’t checked out yet.

looks like there’s a missing relay from spot 9 and fuse from spot 21. So anyone know what exactly I need to buy? I honestly prob don’t need it as it charges on shore power and so far our trips are typically 200-300 miles. However if we take a long onesometime I want to know that battery is charged at all times while my fridge runs or in case I have to use the tongue Jack.
I just have to say once again how happy I am about that silent engine start this morning. That tells me I dont have a current issue and as long as I keep that oil and stabilizer in good order my chain and phasers should remain good.

so any tips on the relay and fuse from anyone seeing this is appreciated.
I would think the relay would just be same type as those adjacent to it.

The fuse amp rating should be in the manual in the chart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I would think the relay would just be same type as those adjacent to it.

The fuse amp rating should be in the manual in the chart.
Right. I’m just not sure what those are. Or they are specific amp ratings or a style. Frankly I’m not familiar eith that style fuse. I’m sure any auto store had em but I’m just more familiar with the blade style flat ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2013 with 3.31 gears and a similar trailer, the truck pulls the trailer fine even in the mountains, I lock out 6th gear when towing. Not sure how the 3:15 gear would pull a 7000lb trailer though, I would think it would be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Rizzle,

I’ve had a 2014 eco boost since 2014. Towed quite a bit with it.
I do have it tuned, with a roush intake, and car back exhaust. 2.5” leveled and on 35” tires.
I’ve towed a 28ft toy hauler that was about 7800 dry. Just over 9k fully loaded with 100gal of water.
I now own a 28ft 5th wheel. That is about 6000 dry.
Either way, the eco boost has plenty of power to tow both.
The main problem being heat. I didn’t catch what part of the US you live in/will be towing in.
I live in Vegas.. and when it’s anything over 90+ outside the truck can just not cool down while towing up a hill.
I can usually pull any hill in 4th gear and about 2200rpm. If it’s cool enough outside, you can boost 8,10,12psi or more (if it’s tuned) and not have an issue because your air intake temps are nice and cool..
If it’s hot.. towing the same hills. I have to back down to 3rd gear and do my best to stay out of boost. Running usually about 3-3.5k rpm and 0-3psi boost. Usually somewhere around 50-55mph. Like I said, it’s not a power issue, it’s a cooling issue. In the winter… you can pretty much tow 65-70 up any hill, in full boost, and let that motor eat.

anyways.. I would get some sort of gauge system where you can consistently monitor engine coolant temps, boost psi, intake temps, exhaust gas temps, trans temp, all that jazz.
it will give you a big piece of mind while towing if you can constantly monitor all that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi Rizzle,

I’ve had a 2014 eco boost since 2014. Towed quite a bit with it.
I do have it tuned, with a roush intake, and car back exhaust. 2.5” leveled and on 35” tires.
I’ve towed a 28ft toy hauler that was about 7800 dry. Just over 9k fully loaded with 100gal of water.
I now own a 28ft 5th wheel. That is about 6000 dry.
Either way, the eco boost has plenty of power to tow both.
The main problem being heat. I didn’t catch what part of the US you live in/will be towing in.
I live in Vegas.. and when it’s anything over 90+ outside the truck can just not cool down while towing up a hill.
I can usually pull any hill in 4th gear and about 2200rpm. If it’s cool enough outside, you can boost 8,10,12psi or more (if it’s tuned) and not have an issue because your air intake temps are nice and cool..
If it’s hot.. towing the same hills. I have to back down to 3rd gear and do my best to stay out of boost. Running usually about 3-3.5k rpm and 0-3psi boost. Usually somewhere around 50-55mph. Like I said, it’s not a power issue, it’s a cooling issue. In the winter… you can pretty much tow 65-70 up any hill, in full boost, and let that motor eat.

anyways.. I would get some sort of gauge system where you can consistently monitor engine coolant temps, boost psi, intake temps, exhaust gas temps, trans temp, all that jazz.
it will give you a big piece of mind while towing if you can constantly monitor all that.
Thanks for the tips. Yes. I’ve been using dash command with the old trailblazer. I need help or suggestions. I bought the PIDs for the 2013 F150. However the only thing that populated was engine coolant temp.

I tried creating trans temp and boost psi and after creating those they are just blank gauges. No data.

Anyone know why or what I’m dojng wrong?
Any suggestions on an alternate app or how to get dash command working right? This is with a Wi-Fi obdII monitor of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, we currently have a 23ft layfeather hybrid. 4300 dry. Prob 5200 loaded. Currently tow with a 2004 trailblazer 4.2 I6. It does ok, but we stay on pretty flat land I tow in 3rd and monitor engine and trans temp. She runs 226-232 engine temp. So no mountains.

We found a local used 2013 lariet ecoboost 3.5 F150. 116k miles. A wife’s daily driver. For 19k $.

has 7 pin,integral brake control and the + - shifter. Leather heated cool seats sunroof remote start,

I’m not thrilled it has the 3.15 rearend. It’s mobile 1 syn since 40k. Don’t know prior.

it’s the lowest miles clean for the $ we can pay I can find and it’s in good shape. (No salvage title nonsense.

I think it’ll tow this load fine but the goal prob next yearis upgrade to about 30-31ft bunk house style prob 7000 dry.

im finding out if this has the extra trans oil cooler. I’ve read a bunch here about towing in either 5th or 4th up hills. I guess use tow haul to lock up the torque converter.

I’m personally comfortable towing. I stay about 65 or under and I can handle passing semis etc. the blazer didn’t scare me, but we want togo to the east coast mountains in tenn or NC or Georgia and we can’t in ourcurrent setup

I use sway control and weight distributing.

any other suggestions?

I asked my longtime small shop mechanic about changing the rearend but he said itwas a big deal and changed the shift points and Speedo timing had to be reprogrammed. But he admitted hepersonally had not worked on ecoboosts.

our thought is this truck should be good for 4-5 years and we might upgrade then.

I also do not know how to tell if this truck has any type of sway control. My dads 14’ xlt does. How can I tell?

I put the vin on etis and it showed very littleinfo. Like really only that it was a turbo 3.5 v6 in Oxford white. No packages or anything showed up.
I have a 2013 F-150 XLT with the 3.5 Turbo Boost with the towing package, which has the 3.31 rear end. I regularly tow a 31 ft travel trailer that weighs a little over 7,100 lbs dry weight (about 7,800 lbs. loaded). It tows very easily and with plenty of power for hills/mountains. The 2013 Ford Trailer Towing Guide specs rate the 3.15 rear end at an 8,400 lb. max capability. I’ve been told by many professional mechanics and specifically, transmission mechanics, that you should not REGULARLY tow more than 80% of that max rating…it puts too much long term stress on the transmission and may cause premature failure. With mine, I regularly tow about 7,800 lbs with my 3.31 rear end, which has a 9,300 lb. max (about 84% of the max). I’ve been towing that for about 4 years with no issues on transmission temp or lack of towing at 65 mph on grades (you may have to slow, as 18-wheelers do, on STEEP grades). Just maintain your drive train components and you should be able to tow about 7,100 lbs at the 84% capacity, the rate at which I am towing. Good luck and FYI, I actually got on the MyFord.com website and researched it, as I was interested in my rear end gear ratio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 F-150 XLT with the 3.5 Turbo Boost with the towing package, which has the 3.31 rear end. I regularly tow a 31 ft travel trailer that weighs a little over 7,100 lbs dry weight (about 7,800 lbs. loaded). It tows very easily and with plenty of power for hills/mountains. The 2013 Ford Trailer Towing Guide specs rate the 3.15 rear end at an 8,400 lb. max capability. I’ve been told by many professional mechanics and specifically, transmission mechanics, that you should not REGULARLY tow more than 80% of that max rating…it puts too much long term stress on the transmission and may cause premature failure. With mine, I regularly tow about 7,800 lbs with my 3.31 rear end, which has a 9,300 lb. max (about 84% of the max). I’ve been towing that for about 4 years with no issues on transmission temp or lack of towing at 65 mph on grades (you may have to slow, as 18-wheelers do, on STEEP grades). Just maintain your drive train components and you should be able to tow about 7,100 lbs at the 84% capacity, the rate at which I am towing. Good luck and FYI, I actually got on the MyFord.com website and researched it, as I was interested in my rear end gear ratio.
By the way, we’re in Colorado right now at 8,000 ft. above sea level.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts