F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear what options anybody is aware of or has implemented to control the cabin heat in a hot climate. Such as window tints, strips, window vents, windshield screens, designated heat shield products, etc.
Improvements to the AC systems for quicker cool down would be relevant as well.

I'm in Southern California with black paint and black leather interior (and currently a bad AC compressor clutch). When I first bought the truck (used) it would be blistering hot after work or similar situations of prolonged sitting. I know I've read others who have asked and addressed similar issues

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
For the roof: 2014 FX4...Slowly making progress

Certainly the highest tint and as much tint as you can get legally the better. I found a big source was the sunroof. You need to put reflective material in there.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thus far I have installed 'nano-ceramic' windshield tint. I believe its about 80% I'd have to look back for more details.
The windshield tint seemed to help reduce the 'intensity' of the heat. Probably cut back some UV & IR heat transfer but its not the end-all solution.

Also purchased a fancy windshield shade screen, I believe its CoverCraft. It fits the vehicle very well and has held up well for the past 3 years or so. They run about $50 though.
It keeps the dash and most surfaces from getting any higher than the ambient temp in the cab. But after a long enough period the cab temp will still increase.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE="DNA Dan, post: 1281183, member: 61281"]
For the roof I did the CLD layer to get rid of the "tink-tink" sound. I then used their "Heat wave pro" product. It's like denim/cotton insulation material faced with foil on both sides. For me one concern on the roof was the heat transfer. Having an all black interior it can get pretty toasty in summertime when parked. I also cut a piece to go into the sunroof and it sits on top the tray. I used metal tape to finish off the edges so I can just remove it when I want to open the sunroof. That has worked really well to cut the heat.
The melamine stuff looks pretty interesting as well. That would be super lightweight.
[/QUOTE]

Stole from the other thread, hope that's alright...
Do you recall if there was room to permanently attach anything to the sunroof slider/ tray?
Does it cut down temps even after sitting for hours? This seems like it might help more with the long-term resonant heating through the panels themselves. You can block the windows completely, but with black paint it will still get hot inside eventually.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly the highest tint and as much tint as you can get legally the better. I found a big source was the sunroof. You need to put reflective material in there.
Legally there's not supposed to be anything past the top markers on my windshield. But the clear window tints are pretty much invisible so it won't be an issue.
The fronts are also not legally permitted to have any tint here. I plan to do a 20% on all the windows soon. Fronts will look like the back do now, and the backs will be close to a 5-7%. That should make a drastic improvement.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why that would def help, on your next f150 just ceramic tint the windshield, lol. The windshield is massive and lets a lot of heat in.
@WooBoost Stole this from the other thread too

What tint did you go with and what kind of results did you see?

Do you have any knowledge or experience with the different tint options? Ceramic/ Carbon/ Hyrbid/ Nano-stuff etc.?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Blown F-150
Do you have the AVS window visors for heat control? How do you use them in daily life? And how do they affect heat vs. dirt and such in the cab?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Lol. Sorry I didn't even look at who was asking! How kind of you to divert the hijack from Boost's thread.

The reflective stuff acts sort of like a lower temp thermostat. The truck will still get hot, it just takes longer to get there. I still find the "delay" useful when I'm sitting in the truck at a store waiting for the Mrs. or picking up the kids. I can actually sit in the truck for a while before it becomes an oven.

There are some good threads at the F150forum about hacking the thermistor resistor in the AC to run colder. I think that's going to be your best option - better cooling. The resistor mod increases the compressor cycling time by fooling the temperature sensor. Thus you get colder air like old school 80's refrigerant. This may reduce the life of the compressor, and if you overdo it there's a risk of freezing things, but I think those folks figured out there is a pretty wide operating band there which you can tweak to get a significant gain without harming anything.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to pry further and felt guilty lol. I've read on the thermistor experiments, thanks for the reminder! It'd be hot out when in use, so less likely to freeze.

I forgot to mention I insulated the AC lines in the engine bay. Can't tell if it had any impact as I haven't repaired the AC since the new motor :oops: Just seemed like it would be better to transfer less engine heat to the AC. And I had the materials, time, and access so why not
I personally never had complaints with the performance of the AC system. But I've seen others unsatisfied and figured there were tweaks avilable.

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
@Blown F-150
Do you have the AVS window visors for heat control? How do you use them in daily life? And how do they affect heat vs. dirt and such in the cab?
I’m run them for a couple reasons, even though I’m not a fan of how they look (always think of them as “smokers vents”).

Big one for me is that I like to drive with the windows open. I like “fresh air”. With the kids, I find that I can only crack the windows these days, so having the window visors allows it, even if it raining a bit.

I find they also block the sun very conveniently at certain time’s of day, keeps me from having to pull down the visor shade.

When the truck sits in the garage or outside in the summer, I leave the window cracked open a bit. I find it helps keep the interior cooler without making it obvious that you have slightly open windows.

I’m not sure if they make any difference when it comes to shading the interior, the are pretty small.

I run 20% ceramic tint on the fronts and plan on adding ceramic tint to the sunroof. I previously had 30% on the front windows and found a noticeable difference dropping to 20%. I won’t go any darker as I find it difficult to see at night with limo tint. I rather deal with the lighter tint than hit a animal or something.

We also added some pull-down shades for the kids in the back, my 4 y/o likes how they block out the sun.

I thought about adding tint to the windshield brow, but since we go through windshields so fast here, I doubt it would be worth it.

To help with interior cooling, I want to hack the AC system as Dan mentions above. I find the AC system is good for 95% of the summer weather we get here. If it’s hot out, I just remote start it and let the seats and AC pump for 5 minutes or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ceramic tint on all windows for sure. So far the only comparisons are the work (panel side) vans I have/had. First one, no tint and the cab would cook on hot Michigan days. Second van I did full windshield clear with 5% strip, and front door windows at 35%. It made a noticeable difference.

As Blown said, remote starting also helps my cooling the a/c components some so it starts blowing cold air faster once you're in it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As Blown said, remote starting also helps my cooling the a/c components some so it starts blowing cold air faster once you're in it.
I guess I should figure out how to get my remote start working again too...:sleep:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts