F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings All,

I’ve noticed that it doesn’t seem like the cabin temperature control works very well in my truck. I set the temperature to 65 and the truck continues to blow warm air. It will continue blowing warm air even when I move the thermostat down to 62f. It only seems to start blowing cold air when I move the thermostat all the way down to lo. This is primarily the drivers side, but typically I have it set to control both sides, so I don’t think the passenger side is behaving any different.

I’m not sure if I am missing something, but it honestly doesn’t seem to work. I typically set the temperature to 68f in my vehicles, but for some reason this truck when set to 68f doesn’t seem to do a very good job and I’m constantly too warm and changing the thermostat to LO just to keep from taking my jacket off. I keep my house set to 67f and it is noticeably cooler than when I’m in the truck with the same settings.

When I change the settings to Auto, it seems to do a slightly better job, but even then it just feels too warm. Also, Auto doesn’t do a great job with defrosting the windshield even on the highest setting. AC on or off seems to make no difference. I usually drive with AC on just to help dry the air in the cab since I’m constantly tracking snow/water into the truck.

Does anyone have any ideas on this. I’m hesitant to take it to the dealership at the moment because it just seems like a difficult issue to explain and or get them to take me serious.

I’m going to find a couple thermometers and take some video to show the dealership when I take it in. Anyone else have similar issues? Anyone know where the temp sensors are in the cabin? Maybe they’re obstructed or something.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,670 Posts
Is 68 warmer or cooler than ambient temperatures?
(a setting of 68 in 90F is very different than in 40F, if you know what I mean)

I too keep mine at 68F and when it's hot outside the air conditioner is awesome at that setting. I also have the recirculation on.
But the last few days it hasn't gotten above the 40's, so 68 isn't cold air once the engine coolant is warmed up a bit. And recirculation will disable itself when I first start the truck each time. I believe that's the HVAC module logic in play.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is 68 warmer or cooler than ambient temperatures?
(a setting of 68 in 90F is very different than in 40F, if you know what I mean)

I too keep mine at 68F and when it's hot outside the air conditioner is awesome at that setting. I also have the recirculation on.
But the last few days it hasn't gotten above the 40's, so 68 isn't cold air once the engine coolant is warmed up a bit. And recirculation will disable itself when I first start the truck each time. I believe that's the HVAC module logic in play.
Current temps are 20f-34f, but our garage is 55f and it doesn’t matter if I’ve been driving for 5min or 5hrs. It just keeps blowing hot air. I’m guessing when I set the temp at 68f, it gets up to about 75f inside the truck. Set it to 62f and my best guess is it’s blowing 70f air for the entire time. Simplest way I can describe it is that the temperature control behaves like an old school thermostat. Ie. Blue bars for colder and red bars for hotter, but even on the second to last coldest setting it’s still blowing warm air. There seems to be zero actual climate control, just hot, hotter and ridiculous, unless I move the knob all the way to LO, then it finally starts using outside air or AC (if I have it on) to bring the temps down a little.

Basically, I see zero actual logic or temperature feedback to the controls and it behaves like my old 1976 Dodge D100, which begs to question, what’s the point of having a temperature control if it’s not really controlling the temperature, but just blowing hot, hotter or really hot air unless you move the controls to the lowest possible setting.

Perhaps the thermocouples that are supposed to be sensing temperature are touching metal or insulated from the cabin or not calibrated. I have no idea, that’s why I’m asking. It’s kind of a weird problem that I can already see that I’m going to have to round up several thermometers and take video for, just to get anyone to take me seriously.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spent the afternoon running errands and took a thermometer with me. First, I was incorrect in stating that the controls only go down to 62f before Lo, they go to 60f then Lo.

In the time I spent driving around town, I placed the thermometer on the passenger seat and it consistently read about 5f higher than what I selected on the dash. At the 60f setting it would read 64f-65f at the 65f setting it was 70f-71f and at 67f it was frequently hitting 74f-75f with the middle vents blowing 80f air right at me.

I have noticed that some of the problem is that the center vents blow directly on me, so that only serves to increase the temperature I’m getting, where as the thermometer was right at seat level, so quite a bit lower. Based on these observations, I turned the center vents off and only blow heat to the floor and the windshield. This combined with setting the thermostat at 62f seems to keep me from being cooked out to the truck.

I can deal with this until I have to take the truck in for the light recall next year, but it isn’t optimal. I can’t help but wonder where the temp sensors are located and if my neoprene seat covers play some part in the temperature disparity, since there must be a sensor for each seating position.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,670 Posts
My pleasure.
Wish I understood more about the nuances of HVAC, but I barely grasp the concept. :)

·
Moderstrator
2,393 Posts
Has your cabin air filter been changed recently? I recall AC issues when hepa filters got installed…
Or is it due for a change?

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
970 Posts
Best way to diagnose would be to read temps in IDS or Forscan. See what it’s reading because it almost seems like one of temperature sensors is reading skewed values from either being unplugged or out of the normal range for the temp. Just for the heck of it. Unplug your battery for the night maybe you have a blend door module on the fritz.

Reactions: snakebitten
1 - 10 of 10 Posts