F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Thinking about putting a catch can on my 2012 Lariat I just picked up, has 19200 miles on it. Some say I should remove the CAC and give it a good cleaning first. Two questions... 1.) Is this difficult and is there a step by step anyone put together (did a youtube search and did not really find anything). 2.) How do you actually clean it once its out?

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone has already addressed this - go to the maintenance section of the forum and you'll see a thread on it.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
OK...so now that I'm moved and what-not, I wanna install my can kit. But man I really do NOT wanna drop that heavy azz Wagner BBC and clean it...

Volunteers? BBQ and Beer!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
OK...so now that I'm moved and what-not, I wanna install my can kit. But man I really do NOT wanna drop that heavy azz Wagner BBC and clean it...

Volunteers? BBQ and Beer!! :cool:
Got a spare room? I sure could use a rack of the BEST ribs in the galaxy! Wife loves the huge black CACs too! Well she loves mine anyway...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well I finally got around to removing and cleaning my CAC and wanted to share a brief description of how to do it and my findings.

Removing the CAC is pretty simple, it is helpful to run the truck up on some ramps if you have them.

Start by removing the two bolts that hold the top brace in place, set the top brace aside.

Then disconnect the two hoses on the passenger side of the CAC (simply loosen the clamps), the CAC will pull right out of them when you drop it. These clamps are easily accessed from above with a socket driver and several extensions.

Then undo the the two bolts holding the front air dam in place, this drops off and you can set it aside.

Now untwist the 4 or 5 clips (on the drivers side) holding the bottom shield material up (this is only about a 10" X 24" piece of heavy material), you'll also have to pop out the other half a dozen anchors holding it in place..just get your fingers underneath them and they pop out fairly easily.

Then remove the clip ring holding the large hose on the drivers side this is most easily accessed from below where you can see you simply pull it out of the groove it sits in allowing the hose to slide freely over the CAC outlet.

Now there are two bolts holding the bottom brace in place, undo these and the CAC is ready to drop down. You may have to jiggle the three hoses out of the CAC outlets but it doesn't take much to get them free, then the bottom brace and the CAC will come down as one piece. This is when it is handy to be on ramps so you can drop it down and still slide it from under the truck without having to lay it down and manipulate it to get it out, plus there is more room to slide in and out from under the truck...though you could probably do the job without them if necessary.

Reassembly is simply reversing these steps.

I found about an ounce of liquid and sludge in mine, i expected more but don't know how much is too much so maybe anything is bad. I cleaned it out with Simple green and water as best I could by spraying it in the outlets and sloshing it around. Then allowing to drain at the appropriate angle for about 30 minutes and assisting the drying with a few paper towels I pushed up the big opening to gather any final fluid.

Put it all back together and started it and listened for any leaks, took for a test drive and runs great, fingers crossed that this (along with the RX Catch Can) will finally eliminate any hydro-locking I've experienced.

Here are a few pictures I took after removing the CAC. I noticed that the bottom hose clamp on the passenger side was lose, which probably attributed to the the oil on the hose and around that area (as seen in the 3rd and 4th pictures).

Good Day! View attachment 28150 View attachment 28151 View attachment 28152 DSC01340.jpg

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Well I finally got around to removing and cleaning my CAC and wanted to share a brief description of how to do it and my findings.

Removing the CAC is pretty simple, it is helpful to run the truck up on some ramps if you have them.

Start by removing the two bolts that hold the top brace in place, set the top brace aside.

Then disconnect the two hoses on the passenger side of the CAC (simply loosen the clamps), the CAC will pull right out of them when you drop it. These clamps are easily accessed from above with a socket driver and several extensions.

Then undo the the two bolts holding the front air dam in place, this drops off and you can set it aside.

Now untwist the 4 or 5 clips (on the drivers side) holding the bottom shield material up (this is only about a 10" X 24" piece of heavy material), you'll also have to pop out the other half a dozen anchors holding it in place..just get your fingers underneath them and they pop out fairly easily.

Then remove the clip ring holding the large hose on the drivers side this is most easily accessed from below where you can see you simply pull it out of the groove it sits in allowing the hose to slide freely over the CAC outlet.

Now there are two bolts holding the bottom brace in place, undo these and the CAC is ready to drop down. You may have to jiggle the three hoses out of the CAC outlets but it doesn't take much to get them free, then the bottom brace and the CAC will come down as one piece. This is when it is handy to be on ramps so you can drop it down and still slide it from under the truck without having to lay it down and manipulate it to get it out, plus there is more room to slide in and out from under the truck...though you could probably do the job without them if necessary.

Reassembly is simply reversing these steps.

I found about an ounce of liquid and sludge in mine, i expected more but don't know how much is too much so maybe anything is bad. I cleaned it out with Simple green and water as best I could by spraying it in the outlets and sloshing it around. Then allowing to drain at the appropriate angle for about 30 minutes and assisting the drying with a few paper towels I pushed up the big opening to gather any final fluid.

Put it all back together and started it and listened for any leaks, took for a test drive and runs great, fingers crossed that this (along with the RX Catch Can) will finally eliminate any hydro-locking I've experienced.

Here are a few pictures I took after removing the CAC. I noticed that the bottom hose clamp on the passenger side was lose, which probably attributed to the the oil on the hose and around that area (as seen in the 3rd and 4th pictures).

Good Day! View attachment 28150 View attachment 28151 View attachment 28152 View attachment 28153

This is what we see in 100% of the trucks that come in...there are several that have had no accumulation, and no reason to say they are not being accurate, but we have yet to see a single one in person that did not have this gunk inside. On the drill hole (weep hole mod) unless those doing it correct the PCV system flaw, this is still accumulating in the crankcase and diluting and contaminating the engine oil. Great thread!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I removed my CAC to check it out and clean if needed today, here's a few photos.

2013 FX4 with 12,000 miles on the clock, I live in GA so the humidity here combined with the fact that I had fuel in the oil TSB done compelled me to check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh just wanted to add, for us '13-'14 guys don't forget to disconnect the BOV tube and wiring connector, easiest to remove the connector from the top of the CAC, that way you don't have to remove any fir tree clips.

·
Registered
101 Posts
All put back together, went for a short test drive everything seams good (not that I was having any problems to begin with).

So on a semi related note notice the RH turbo inlet (top tube) to the CAC is bone dry and the LH is saturated with oil (in the 6th and 7th photos above).

Now check out the PCV hose that runs from the RH valve cover to the turbo cold side pipe covered in oil (photo 1 below).

And check out the PVC hose that runs from the LH valve cover to the intake with oil dripping out of it (photo 2 below).

I don't know what the replacement PCV valve in the TSB for fuel in the oil is supposed to be doing but it looks like they are just dumping tons of oil into the turbo and intake!

I'm not completely sold that a catch can is the end all saving grace of these motors... but hell that is way more oil in the system than I am used to, and keeping it out can't hurt!

Attachments

·
Registered
925 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts