F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else notice dripping from the front and back of the cad converter during first start up?At least I think its the converter its just in front of the muffler.Is this normal or should I take it the dealer and have it checked out?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I haven't really noticed any dripping and attempted to see if I could get my Eco to do this with several cold starts and hot starts... But that is not to say its not normal as often environmental operations plays a key role on what/how a truck will act or perform... Are you losing any MPG or notice performance loss?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have noticed the same on cold morning starts. Looked it closer and also noticed that there is a drilled hole on the bottom of the converter. My assumption after finding this is that it is designed to allow for condensation to escape. I could be wrong but for this reason I did not ask for follow up with the dealer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There are weep holes drilled in lowest point of all of the "canister" like components of the exhaust system, in some cases on each end. The moisture from the combustion process, as well as the ambient temperature and humidity of the environment, collects as the exhaust system cools when you turn the vehicle off, that's what that first "puke" of water out of your exhaust tip is when you start the truck every morning, and the dripping is just the exhaust pressure pushing the remainder of the un-drained and un-evaporated moisture out of the system. you can see where all of the weep holes are by just allowing the vehicle to warm up in your driveway for a few minutes before you move it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are weep holes drilled in lowest point of all of the "canister" like components of the exhaust system, in some cases on each end. The moisture from the combustion process, as well as the ambient temperature and humidity of the environment, collects as the exhaust system cools when you turn the vehicle off, that's what that first "puke" of water out of your exhaust tip is when you start the truck every morning, and the dripping is just the exhaust pressure pushing the remainder of the un-drained and un-evaporated moisture out of the system. you can see where all of the weep holes are by just allowing the vehicle to warm up in your driveway for a few minutes before you move it!
I agree, its normal. You should see the water come out of my Crown Vic. It happens more when it idles for a long time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree, its normal. You should see the water come out of my Crown Vic. It happens more when it idles for a long time.
Yeah, the crown vics will build up a lot of water in the tail pipes. When we were doing some training and it was cold and wet out they would acuially build up several ounces in the pipes and start gurgling. One good rev of the engine and woosh, water shoots out about 6 ft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
jared
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing