F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching around on the Internet and have seen lovely numbers and company's saying ull get 5-10-15-20% more power from adding an aftermarket intake. But I've also seen videos that show the gain from just a cai to be far less. Are they really worth the money they charge or are they just useless. I'm not trolling I'm Just genuinely Curious. Want to know b4 I spend the money. And what intakes everyone have been using, And seeing Significant power gains.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
A CAI alone is minimal. A CAI combo with tune / exhaust is very noticeable.

the closed air box has been proven to greatly reduce rwhp with the afe2. There's a thread on here with dyno #s from each CAI. Open box afe2 and Airaid were top performers.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i will 2nd Kc !
you may see a minimal gain in fuel economy and most everyone will agree you feel some sort of diff in throttle response.
i dont feel they are worth the expense unless you couple it with exhaust and tune or if you plan on that in the future it could be your first step of the process.
i have done CAI on previouse vehicles before and i found the extra noise more annoying than the gains i got from it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a AFE stage 2 intake, banks monster exhaust and a SCT 87 octane tune ....... i have gained about 4mpg in the city ........ if i baby it ....... but stomping on it i just love the power. so i get about 16mpg in the city ..... if i stomp on it all the time I get roughly 13.5 to 14 mpg

·
Registered
537 Posts
In a word "NO". That being said since you already have the Gibson exhaust to go with it, you know deep down in side that a tuner or Scorcher Module will be just down the road. Plus you want one and won't be happy until you at the very least try one, I say go for it.

Of course, you will also want to get the down pipe for a more smooth flow thus receiving maximum CAI benefits.

Word of advise, save the box, instructions and all paperwork, if you later choose to take it off and sell it, keeping these items make it an easier sale. Plus you have the box for shipping.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for ur advise I think I'm gonna go with the afe stage 2 oiled intake w/out the cover and the afe Scorcher module. Then the solo catted down-pipe later on. Thank u again.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Let us know how you like it! The AFE2 is very noisy, even more than the Airaid, but I love the induction noise.

Looks like Bill at Stage3 has another order coming soon!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would recommend also ordering the Pre-filters if your going to go open box. And dust, sand, dirt or debris that could make it past the oil filter will not be friendly to the turbo blades.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If the AFE Scorcher Module is on your radar I recommend that you order it very quickly from Stage 3 a sponsor here on the forum. The currently have it on sale with an instant savings and free shipping you will save around $25 off of the price. Plus, it's a great company to deal with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to just go ahead and get. Knowing ill be doing some sort of tuner upgrade in the future. Just ordered the afe stage 2 CAI, so exited cant wait to install it. Thank you all for ur help and advise

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
You'll want a programmer within a month!!! It's a disease. Once you start the modding disease, it only gets worse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll want a programmer within a month!!! It's a disease. Once you start the modding disease, it only gets worse.
I know the feeling, lol with every car I've ever owned I've never kept any of them stock for very long. Modding is a drug, but a drug that just feels so good. Lol

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Catted DP I'm assuming then. Thursday I'm getting O/R catless from Solo & some custom work.

Please post a video for sound !

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Trucks great I put on the solo downpipe and solo exhaust. Thing sounds like a beast.!!! And no engine codes thrown. I'm untuned as well. Great proformemce
That's the downpipe with the resonator built in? I'm pondering that one...

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts