F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have ~77k bone stock miles on my 2016, and I'm considering some aftermarket upgrades to try and eek out any fuel efficiency that I can, particularly while towing. I have done some research on the common CAI's out there, and they all seem to provide a little extra HP and TQ, but has anyone seen that translate into increased fuel economy under normal use? I'm not a stop light racer, and quite frankly could care less what happens much above 3,000RPM because even while towing I rarely see that. Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
No.

And if they produce more power/tq it is extremely minimal. The only time they would make a meaningful difference is if your turbos were at their flow limits and you could get less pressure drop across the filter. As you stated, since basically all towing happens below 3500 rpm, you are nowhere near the flow limits of the turbos.

An upgraded intercooler could arguably help improve MPG by keeping the spark timing more advanced but i dont have proof of that.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The most notable difference you can make is reducing speed. The topic of improving fuel mileage has been beaten to death hundreds of times on this forum and that's pretty much the ONLY real world solution. If you already drive slow, drive slower.

The other solution is a 2.7 EB. It gets notably better mileage than the 3.5 EB. I'm kidding, but that's the extent of it.

PS: you couldn't care less.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Won’t make a difference, save that money for gas, drive slower, and don’t haul unnecessary weight if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
No.

And if they produce more power/tq it is extremely minimal. The only time they would make a meaningful difference is if your turbos were at their flow limits and you could get less pressure drop across the filter. As you stated, since basically all towing happens below 3500 rpm, you are nowhere near the flow limits of the turbos.

An upgraded intercooler could arguably help improve MPG by keeping the spark timing more advanced but i dont have proof of that.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I personally agree that the FIRST Modification (other than a tune ... depending on your needs) is an Intercooler on these trucks. And possibly the ONLY modification needed (other than a tune, for most people) ... especially if you don't want to make the engine louder.

Hot air is a power robber for these engines. When I first installed mine, I was amazed how much more it would pull at higher rpms. Passing big-rigs on two lane highways is much easier now. And for daily driving, it definitely keeps the air cooler.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More or less what I had figured, thanks for the responses guys!

·
Administrator
7,741 Posts
The bases have been covered here, Intercooler upgrade is the best thing you can do for these trucks. Skip the intake upgrade and ditch the stock charge air cooler.
Great additional information here @tobyw

This would be your best bang-for-your-buck along with a tune from a reputable company.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Are you guys serious that an intercooler is a better mod than a downpipe when you are tuned already?
Downpipes haven't been discussed in this thread. CAI's an CAC's have.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Are you guys serious that an intercooler is a better mod than a downpipe when you are tuned already?
Intercooler is for consistency. It won't net huge peak gains over stock if the stock cooler isnt heat soaked. The problem is the stock cooler is probably heat soaking very quickly.

Downpipes are more for peak gains, although they are not huge.

If you tow then I would say the intercooler is absolutely the number 1 upgrade to get after a tune. I saw air temperatures >190F in my truck when it was on the stock cooler.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
PS: you couldn't care less.
I mean only if you know the extent of his care meter. You don't know if he is at the upper limits of cares. He could have a few more points to not care less. But unless he is completely bottomed out he couldn't care less. Until then, he still can care less.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Is this a trick question?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I mean only if you know the extent of his care meter. You don't know if he is at the upper limits of cares. He could have a few more points to not care less. But unless he is completely bottomed out he couldn't care less. Until then, he still can care less.
ROFL. Dude it's only Monday. Put the ganja down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Intercooler is for consistency. It won't net huge peak gains over stock if the stock cooler isnt heat soaked. The problem is the stock cooler is probably heat soaking very quickly.

Downpipes are more for peak gains, although they are not huge.

If you tow then I would say the intercooler is absolutely the number 1 upgrade to get after a tune. I saw air temperatures >190F in my truck when it was on the stock cooler.
I am just surprised as I noticed a good bit of bottom end tq with the catted livernois downpipe(they are all going to be the same). Felt stronger up a hill in gears and didn't kick down as fast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is this a trick question?
No, I swear I see an intercooler as a recommended mod a lot while searching threads.

In my opinion for bang for your dollar I would go tune and DP. Run that till a manifold warps then swap them for the CRP ones.

If a person has logs showing timing being pulled due to elevated IAT2 temps then an intercooler is a good fit. I just don't see it and for the cost I would go the Downpipe route for performance gains.

If you think you are heat soaked just log your spark advance and you should see it pulling timing. I suspect we can ask 5* or Gearheads what they set in the tune as the threshold on IAT2 temps before parameters are reduced.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
No, I swear I see an intercooler as a recommended mod a lot while searching threads.

In my opinion for bang for your dollar I would go tune and DP. Run that till a manifold warps then swap them for the CRP ones.

If a person has logs showing timing being pulled due to elevated IAT2 temps then an intercooler is a good fit. I just don't see it and for the cost I would go the Downpipe route for performance gains.

If you think you are heat soaked just log your spark advance and you should see it pulling timing. I suspect we can ask 5* or Gearheads what they set in the tune as the threshold on IAT2 temps before parameters are reduced.
In the summer up here I was pulling timing like crazy with the stock intercooler and I wasn't even towing. The intercooler was hands down the best mod I made. I had a 2011 and went FR ceramic race DPs and the intercooler does way more for me.
I think my average summer temp was easily 150*

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I am just surprised as I noticed a good bit of bottom end tq with the catted livernois downpipe(they are all going to be the same). Felt stronger up a hill in gears and didn't kick down as fast.
Like I said, the DP's will net you more power, but if you stand on the gas for more than a few seconds, you will lose that power when your stock intercooler heat soaks.

If I am towing my trailer up a 7% grade for 3-4 minutes straight, you can sure as hell bet the air coming out of my stock cooler was hot as hell and any gains I would make from DP's would mean nothing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will have to datalog mine into work and also towing and see. Its never felt like its been down a lot of power by any means, but maybe its just not that hot where I live.

I do my towing on a 5* perf/tow file so maybe its just not that aggressive. It will spike to 15 psi then it falls off to 11-12psi it I stay in it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
14 Participants
snakebitten
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing