F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in CA had their 1st Gen ecoboost with catch can smogged since Jan 2019? My 2012 Lariat smog cert is due by May 31st, and I had a bad experience last October with my '03 Cobra. The Cobra has a Diablo Predator chip tune in it, and as soon as they hooked it up the system cancelled the test and sent me to BAR referee. Luckily I was able to switch it back to the stock tune, drove it around until the monitors reset, and it passed at the BAR ref station. Apparently some new, more stringent guidelines have been in place since Jan 2019 California Assembly Bill 1824 and that's what tripped me up with the Cobra. The Predator has been on there since '04, so I've had it smogged multiple times with no problem before last year. I realize this law is directed at exhaust mods, but I'm not sure whether there's any other recent regulations/laws that might have an impact here.

I'd like to avoid running afoul of any new regs with the ecoboost, but don't really want to disconnect my RX catch can and replumb the stock connections if I don't absolutely have to. I've had the catch can on there through 2 previous smog certs and it passed without questions on those occasions. I've called a couple of local smog stations and asked them about the catch can, one of them said that if the can doesn't have a CARB certification it can't be on the truck and the other said they don't look at the catch can. I will temporarily replace the clean side separator with the OEM oil filler cap because that's easy to do and is an eye-catcher when the hood is open. Just trying to figure out what to do about the can.

Any advice based on real-world experience will be appreciated! TIA!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Well I'm in AZ and have a RX Monster CC....tuned as well. All I do is return truck to stock tune (BORING!). Now.... once and only once did I try and slip the perf tune by the ole DMV Emission Dogs...>fail-lol
Than I went the following year with a set of SPD Catted Downpipes....and I was a pinch nervous, BUT passed with flying colors.
You've got your hands full in Cali?....lot of restrictions!
Heck, I wouldn't think those "paper or plastic techs" would even spot the can? I guess putting the stock oil cap back on with the engine cover- should do the trick?
I mean in the AZ they don't even open the hood- just plug into the OBDII port and put the snorkel over the exhaust...
Let us know how it works out!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Maybe look for the smog lane that has this tech waving OP's through?.....could be opened minded-lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe look for the smog lane that has this tech waving OP's through?.....could be opened minded-lol

I like the way you think!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it smogged in early April without a problem. It passed inspection no problem. I probably could have left the separator on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Awesome thanks for updating! Wish more people would do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts