F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 77,000 miles on my truck now.

My brakes have a little life left, but it's nearly time to replace them. When I rotate my tires next I think I will do them.

I have a camper now, and we do like the mountains. By no means have I had any trouble stopping with or without the camper, so OEM has been at least sufficient.

That said, I like to upgrade things when it's time to replace IF I can do so without spending an arm and a leg. I've never been the least bit interested in upgrading brakes, so I'm not entirely sure what to go with.

I've seen Callahan brakes recommended lately. A little bit of googling yields nothing but positive reviews and good prices. I've talked to one person who says he's always run them on his performance vehicles and now has them on his truck (that is similar to mine). Anybody know anything about Callahan?

I know Powerstops are also highly recommended. I figure I'll do pads and rotors. If the rotors can be turned I'll have that done and put them up as spares just in case I guess.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I have you figured for staying oem.

Which as you pointed out, has been just fine for 70,000+ miles!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will, if there are no upgrade options that cost what I consider to be reasonable. That said, I think there are some options that are cheap enough I would consider it worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discovered from my Miata shop that Centric and Stop Tech are actually the same company. The guru that owns the shop explained that he could save me a few bucks buying the "performance" version under the Centric name for a little less than the Stop Tech version. Implying that the "brand labeling" was the only reason for price difference.

Don't know if or how that would apply to our trucks with the same brands. But similarly the Miata has very good oem brakes. (FAR better than our trucks. But completely unfair to compare since the Miata brakes are stopping a 2200lb vehicle)

So I would have been fine if with oem.
But for just a LITTLE more money, I could get superior "materials" in rotors and pads.

Note: Superior stopping power. Not necessarily superior life expectations.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Let's think like this: heading down the mountain @12k lbs and NOT using the runaway ramp. Lol

I've pulled through the Smokies once, and those are the mountains we'll be hauling into on vacation, and it was no problem. But, there's no better time to upgrade than when you're changing parts out anyway, am I right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts