F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to this forum and was referred over here from "another" forum :)

Has anyone done the phaser/chain R/R themselves, on the 2nd gen?

IF so, any tips?

I was told there were a couple of experiences on this forum.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
11,016 Posts
The fellas that did it themselves and posted pretty good details about it were Gen1, by my recollection.

But I am getting old and I might be forgetting something.

·
Registered
2017 F150 XLT, 3.5 ecoBoost, 4 door, Super Crew, Stock
114 Posts
Hi All,

New to this forum and was referred over here from "another" forum :)

Has anyone done the phaser/chain R/R themselves, on the 2nd gen?

IF so, any tips?

I was told there were a couple of experiences on this forum.

Thanks!
Stick around someone will reply.
I have a second generation 3.5 ecoboost.
Mine was done by my dealership.
I would not attempt myself.
If dealership does it. You should have 2 years parts and labor warranty. That's how I understood it.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
11,016 Posts
Stick around someone will reply.
I have a second generation 3.5 ecoboost.
Mine was done by my dealership.
I would not attempt myself.
If dealership does it. You should have 2 years parts and labor warranty. That's how I understood it.
The only problem with that is if someone has a truck out-of-warranty they may choose to save the labor charges themselves, but more importantly, make dang sure it's done right. :)

Of course not everyone is brave enough or skilled enough to tackle the job, but there's a number of fellas on here that are both!

I seriously doubt I would let my dealership do it to my truck if it were out of warranty. And I honestly don't like the idea anyway. I'd probably drive my truck up to Chicago and let Brian have it. Might even pay him for the time to video it for all of us to learn from.

Then have someone (shop) closer to home have the video for future Gen2 Ecoboosters

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only problem with that is if someone has a truck out-of-warranty they may choose to save the labor charges themselves, but more importantly, make dang sure it's done right. :)

Of course not everyone is brave enough or skilled enough to tackle the job, but there's a number of fellas on here that are both!

I seriously doubt I would let my dealership do it to my truck if it were out of warranty. And I honestly don't like the idea anyway. I'd probably drive my truck up to Chicago and let Brian have it. Might even pay him for the time to video it for all of us to learn from.

Then have someone (shop) closer to home have the video for future Gen2 Ecoboosters
This is why I'm asking. At close to 200,000kms. So there's proof that rattly cam phasers won't blow up your engine but I've had it with the rattle, and so wanna try fixing it myself.

Sadly no Brian Pro up here in Canada, stuck with stealerships. .

·
Registered
114 Posts

Yeah getting it to Brian is a good idea, if it's feasible.
In my area when you ask any shop about working on an ecoboost, it's a No!
No shop here will touch an ecoboost.
I had no choice but my dealership.
So far it's been good, no issues after the job.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m sure it’s not news to anyone here but Brian has an EXCELLENT multi video YouTube series wherein he details how to swap everything out correctly. I used his video myself just to get the intake off, in order to clean my valves. So I can personally attest - they are accurate.

I acknowledge not everyone has the necessary tools on hand to do this themselves. But there IS that option. You do have a choice.

Reactions: eeore39648

·
Registered
114 Posts
I’m sure it’s not news to anyone here but Brian has an EXCELLENT multi video YouTube series wherein he details how to swap everything out correctly. I used his video myself just to get the intake off, in order to clean my valves. So I can personally attest - they are accurate.

I acknowledge not everyone has the necessary tools on hand to do this themselves. But there IS that option. You do have a choice.
Nice.
How did your valves look?
How many miles?

·
Registered
5 Posts
150 thou at time of cleaning. They were bad, needed it. Honestly, I expected them to be worse. But they were definitely all coked up.

I cleaned with brass wire brushes and BG platinum intake cleaner. They were 90 percent better upon completion. The walnut blaster would’ve done a better job but I spent about 60 bucks on equipment to get this done and not 600.

Before pics:

Snout Pattern Monochrome photography Monochrome Darkness

Automotive tire Window Font Sky Tints and shades

1 - 9 of 9 Posts