F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I probably should have waited to calm down a bit before I put this online, however I want to pass this along as I am so upset right now and there is no resolution to my problem as of yet.
I have a 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat crew cab. I have about 79,500 miles on it and I took it to the dealership to have it looked at as I saw that there was a recall on the Cam phasers issue. They took a look at it and said yes there was a problem. I think no big deal as I have the premium extended warranty on my truck so there will be a 100.00 deductable. The shop orders the parts and then I am scheduling the truck for the work to be completed and the dealership calls me back and says that my warranty will not cover the cost. Since the problem is under a recall notice that they will only cover 66% of the cost and my out of pocket amount will be $1,200.00. I am livid. I bought the extended warranty for this exact issue. It is not a first generation truck but there are still issues. So I have been talking to the dealership shop for two days trying to get this issues resolved with them talking to Ford reps, etc. The dealership told me if there was not a recall on this, this would be a covered item and the 100.00 would pay for the repair. So at this point Ford is screwing people over knowing that this is a known issue. So I finally call Ford customer service line myself today and I talk to a lady and she tells me that there is a recall on this part and that it is not 100% covered because I have more then 69,000 miles on my truck. If I had less then that Ford would pay 100%. I told her the reason they would pay, is because the parts don't go bad that fast. And since I have an extended warranty on my truck they should honor that and repair this issue for my deductable amount. Not going to happen she says. She put me on hold several time and keeps coming back with the same no, not going to happen. I told her what good is the extended warranty if they wont honor it? No reply, except, I understand why you are upset. I want everyone here to know I am furious and can not believe they can do this. I will be telling everyone I meet and see what a bunch of crap this is, if Ford does not honor a warranty they sold me with the vehicle. I told her they should just say there is a recall on the whole motor and they won't have to pay for anything.

I am not happy about this situation. Anyone out there have any ideas? I am not done nor heard back from the dealership, as their Rep was supposedly out on medical leave and they had a call into another Rep. I am hoping that Ford will do the right thing and Honor a premium Warranty I bought to cover my truck to 100,000 miles. I drive a lot and knew they could be an issue in the future, why I spend the money up front.
57721589608__5DE5E472-B476-493E-B351-DB5FF14C87BE.JPG
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
That seems pretty ridiculous to me. So it’s an actual Ford ESP? From ford And not a third party?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
From what i understand actual recalls that the vehicle falls under should be covered. IF it is a TSB then they dont have to cover it if your vehicle isnt showing the issue. From a quick google search i cannot find the recall you speak of (might be harder to find so not saying it doesnt exist.) AFAIK it was only ever a TSB that covered the phasers so that might explain them not covering the cost?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
From what i understand actual recalls that the vehicle falls under should be covered. IF it is a TSB then they dont have to cover it if your vehicle isnt showing the issue. From a quick google search i cannot find the recall you speak of (might be harder to find so not saying it doesnt exist.) AFAIK it was only ever a TSB that covered the phasers so that might explain them not covering the cost?
Yep big difference between a recall and a TSB.

However a TSB is usually 100% covered under powertrain warranty. Mine was. Had the phasers replaced on my 2011 before regular powertrain ran out. Was 100% free.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ah interesting that is good to know. Well hopefully the OP gets it sorted out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That seems pretty ridiculous to me. So it’s an actual Ford ESP? From ford And not a third party?

Yes and it is the premium ESP one, bought the truck in April, 2019 with 1500 miles on it and it was Ford Certified then. Thought I had my basis covered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

However a TSB is usually 100% covered under powertrain warranty. Mine was. Had the phasers replaced on my 2011 before regular powertrain ran out. Was 100% free.

Don't know how this falls, it showed up on my Ford Pass app. So it was listed under the recall section of the app. And everyone I have spoken to calls it a recall. The big issue is that if there was no recall then the service guy at Ford dealership says it would be 100.00 deductible and would be taken Care of. So why with a warranty would I have to be out 1,200.00 because there is a recall. Apparently it is 100% paid by Ford if you have this issue with less then 69,000 miles on it. Then they start decreasing how much they pay based on the amount of miles beyond 69,000 mark. At 79,000 miles they pay 66% of the cost and and some amount of miles they pay none of it. Maybe if I was they the warranty would cover it? Lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the chain rattle on my 18 at 67k miles
I was told by my dealer yesterday that Ford has stopped the PCM recalibration

-Brian

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sorry for your problems. I feel that in this age of forums and other brand center social media Ford in this case did more than $1,200 worth of damage to their image. Maybe the success of the F150 in particular has them feeling rather invulnerable. My F150 has been very trouble free, only piss me off thing is a rust through on the left cab corner. But as for other Ford products, I think not. customer confidence is hard won and harder to maintain.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Sorry for your problems. I feel that in this age of forums and other brand center social media Ford in this case did more than $1,200 worth of damage to their image. Maybe the success of the F150 in particular has them feeling rather invulnerable. My F150 has been very trouble free, only piss me off thing is a rust through on the left cab corner. But as for other Ford products, I think not. customer confidence is hard won and harder to maintain.
Absolutely.

It's bad if people are hesitant to go from your first gen of a motor to your second gen because it is considered less reliable. I am in that boat. While the 1st gen had issues, it doesn't seem nearly as bad.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Absolutely.

It's bad if people are hesitant to go from your first gen of a motor to your second gen because it is considered less reliable. I am in that boat. While the 1st gen had issues, it doesn't seem nearly as bad.
It is sad. I'd never buy a 3.5 again 2.7 yes 3.5 nope.

Reactions: EcoXLT

·
Registered
961 Posts
Anyone talking how good their truck is or telling everyone how great it is to everyone they run into? Nope.
Situation sucks, but saying your just going to go around slandering isn't a solution adults use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone talking how good their truck is or telling everyone how great it is to everyone they run into? Nope.
Situation sucks, but saying your just going to go around slandering isn't a solution adults use.
I have been a Ford guy since I bought my first vehicle, a Ford Mustang. I catch a lot of crap for it as I was raised in a GM town. I tell people all the time how much I love my truck and how good I think it is. Others might not but until now, I have been behind Ford 100%. It changes if the company decides to screw you over and not honor some thing they sold you in good faith. I think the term slander applies if the information is not true. They are creating their own bad name by not living up to an agreement they sold me by trying to change the rules after the fact. I am going into the Ford Dealer this weekend to let them show me where my warranty is not good on a recalled part. I don't see it anywhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the chain rattle on my 18 at 67k miles
I was told by my dealer yesterday that Ford has stopped the PCM recalibration

-Brian

I took my 2018 in today for the recall and was told by the dealer they won’t do it because the recalibration makes the transmission shutter and they would call me when Ford got it figured out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I probably should have waited to calm down a bit before I put this online, however I want to pass this along as I am so upset right now and there is no resolution to my problem as of yet.
I have a 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat crew cab. I have about 79,500 miles on it and I took it to the dealership to have it looked at as I saw that there was a recall on the Cam phasers issue. They took a look at it and said yes there was a problem. I think no big deal as I have the premium extended warranty on my truck so there will be a 100.00 deductable. The shop orders the parts and then I am scheduling the truck for the work to be completed and the dealership calls me back and says that my warranty will not cover the cost. Since the problem is under a recall notice that they will only cover 66% of the cost and my out of pocket amount will be $1,200.00. I am livid. I bought the extended warranty for this exact issue. It is not a first generation truck but there are still issues. So I have been talking to the dealership shop for two days trying to get this issues resolved with them talking to Ford reps, etc. The dealership told me if there was not a recall on this, this would be a covered item and the 100.00 would pay for the repair. So at this point Ford is screwing people over knowing that this is a known issue. So I finally call Ford customer service line myself today and I talk to a lady and she tells me that there is a recall on this part and that it is not 100% covered because I have more then 69,000 miles on my truck. If I had less then that Ford would pay 100%. I told her the reason they would pay, is because the parts don't go bad that fast. And since I have an extended warranty on my truck they should honor that and repair this issue for my deductable amount. Not going to happen she says. She put me on hold several time and keeps coming back with the same no, not going to happen. I told her what good is the extended warranty if they wont honor it? No reply, except, I understand why you are upset. I want everyone here to know I am furious and can not believe they can do this. I will be telling everyone I meet and see what a bunch of crap this is, if Ford does not honor a warranty they sold me with the vehicle. I told her they should just say there is a recall on the whole motor and they won't have to pay for anything.

I am not happy about this situation. Anyone out there have any ideas? I am not done nor heard back from the dealership, as their Rep was supposedly out on medical leave and they had a call into another Rep. I am hoping that Ford will do the right thing and Honor a premium Warranty I bought to cover my truck to 100,000 miles. I drive a lot and knew they could be an issue in the future, why I spend the money up front.
View attachment 172029
I feel your pain. I checked with FORD also, and they gave me a number to call at FORD, it was only a TECH Bulletin. I didn't give them money for an extended warranty, so mine was out of the factory warranty window, but they knew about this issue before it was and I never was told about it, or received any other informative information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is real stuff about Ford not continuing with the PCM re-flash after VCT replacement as it does cause tranny problems. I had the phasors replaced on my 2019 Lariat with the 3.5 at 32K miles and when I got it back it had a bad shudder at about 1100 rpm mostly in 7th or 8th gear. Did not have any tranny problems before the re-flash. Had the re-flash twice and still had shudder problem. It actually got worse as time went on. The service department replaced the torque converter and main control valve body after more diagnosis. Still had the same problem. A Ford engineer was called in and could not come up with a solution. My truck was in the service department for 4 weeks before Ford decided that they did not know what to do with it. They claimed that I had the first truck in the US where this problem had occurred (Indiana). The thought was that some new code would have to be written for the PCM to solve the problem. There were no immediate solutions. Since then, one with the same problem has occurred with a truck in Texas.

Fortunately, I have a fantastic dealer who was willing to take care of me by taking my truck in trade for a '21 XLT (which we had to search for and locate, as dealer had none) with the 3.5 and 10-speed. It seems to go through all 10 gears in normal mode (which the '19 model did not seem to do, jumping from 3 to 5 or whatever). I'm hoping for the best with the '21. It does have some major improvements with cab vision and safety equipment that I am a fan of. The new seats are very comfortable and the nav system and display are beyond imagination.

I have owned at least 10 Ford trucks over the last 40 years and have planned to be a Ford man for life. I hope that this will be the case, pending what satisfaction I get from this new '21 (600 miles in so far). The '19 Lariat problems are the first major issues that I have experienced in all those years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

View attachment 172029
Ok,

Here is a first update, after battling for a solid week, calling back and forth and driving my wife's car to MI where I work during the week, I am from Indiana, so I can not just come home anytime. They finally agreed to fix it for just the 100.00 deductible. The truck went into the shop on Tuesday 4/27 and I got a call today that the work is completed. I checked with the service guy and the bill is only going to be for the 100.00. I have not yet picked my truck up yet but I am hoping that all will be well. I know the dealership worked hard to get Ford to take care of this problem, but they got it handled and I can't say enough good about their efforts to do so. I did not buy this vehicle from them, as I work out of town and state a lot. I bought the Truck in Toledo, OH when I was working over there in that area. So I feel like they have made a big effort to take care of me for being a Ford customer. I will try to buy my next vehicle from them just for the work they have done, if this is fixed and good.
After I get the truck back and do see that it is all good, I will post a good follow up report.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fantastic news Lyleroy! I'm glad you got a little Hoosier Hospitality! There are some fantastic dealers out there. Sometimes you just have to work to find the right one. I had been wondering how you came out on this after my post. I thought you had been screwed around a little, no matter who the dealer was. I was pretty worn out with my deal on the tranny after my phasor replacement. Maybe they didn't re-flash your PCM after the VCT repair. That was when my problems started. Keep your eye on around 1100 rpm, 30-35 mph in 7th gear on an incline. You'll know it if there's a problem (shuddering).

I did not buy the extended warranty on the '21. I want to see how the first 35K goes on my truck on their buck. If all is well, I may buy the extension at that point.

My hope for you is a great repair with no further problems and many miles ahead!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is real stuff about Ford not continuing with the PCM re-flash after VCT replacement as it does cause tranny problems. I had the phasors replaced on my 2019 Lariat with the 3.5 at 32K miles and when I got it back it had a bad shudder at about 1100 rpm mostly in 7th or 8th gear. Did not have any tranny problems before the re-flash. Had the re-flash twice and still had shudder problem. It actually got worse as time went on. The service department replaced the torque converter and main control valve body after more diagnosis. Still had the same problem. A Ford engineer was called in and could not come up with a solution. My truck was in the service department for 4 weeks before Ford decided that they did not know what to do with it. They claimed that I had the first truck in the US where this problem had occurred (Indiana). The thought was that some new code would have to be written for the PCM to solve the problem. There were no immediate solutions. Since then, one with the same problem has occurred with a truck in Texas.

Fortunately, I have a fantastic dealer who was willing to take care of me by taking my truck in trade for a '21 XLT (which we had to search for and locate, as dealer had none) with the 3.5 and 10-speed. It seems to go through all 10 gears in normal mode (which the '19 model did not seem to do, jumping from 3 to 5 or whatever). I'm hoping for the best with the '21. It does have some major improvements with cab vision and safety equipment that I am a fan of. The new seats are very comfortable and the nav system and display are beyond imagination.

I have owned at least 10 Ford trucks over the last 40 years and have planned to be a Ford man for life. I hope that this will be the case, pending what satisfaction I get from this new '21 (600 miles in so far). The '19 Lariat problems are the first major issues that I have experienced in all those years.
Vin19,

I have a few questions about your situation because unfortunately I think I am about to start the process of correcting the issue with Ford. Let me give you a little back story to see if it is familiar. I have a 2018 3.5 Ecoboost, at around 40K miles I started to notice a rattle. Come to find out this was the infamous "cold start rattle", I milked the issue until 58K miles when I finally took the truck in so it would be covered under warranty. They changed out the timing change, some cam phasers and a few other parts (in the process now of getting service records.) Fast forward to about 90K miles and I notice a grinding noise coming from under the truck at around 20-25mph in 7-8th gear. Start doing some research and notice that Ford has issued a recall for the PCM rattle. I take the truck in to the dealership today and the service tech informs me that Ford recalled the recall. I ask, since Ford acknowledges the issue is caused from the maintenance that was originally performed will the "rattle" maintenance be covered? All I got out of the conversation were blank looks. I was also told that there is nothing Ford can do until engineers find a solution! Meanwhile, im stuck with a truck and a transmission that is probably getting trashed.

Any advice from you or the forum would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Husk1295,

My 2019 3.5 Ecoboost started to get the cold start rattle at about 31K miles. I had the phasors replaced at about 32K, which was in March of this year. After about a week I started to notice the shuddering at about 1100 rpm in 7th gear mainly. I returned the truck to the service shop and demonstrated to the mechanic what I was observing and he agreed that there was definitely a problem. They took the truck back in and gave me a loaner for about a week. I picked it back up from service and they said that when the phasors were replaced that the PCM had to be re-flashed and it had to "re-learn" how I drove the truck and I should give it about 500 miles or a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I drove it for a couple of weeks and there was no change in way the truck shifted and it was still shuddering. The service department took the truck back in for about four weeks, changed the torque converter and main control valve body in the tranny, as I had said in my previous post, and there was no change in the way that it behaved. They also called in a Ford engineer and he/she was not sure what the problem was and did not know what else to do to solve the problem. There was no grinding other unusual sounds coming from the tranny, just the shudder. It started to get worse in other gears at about the same rpm when under load. I also tow a fiberglass bass boat and did not feel safe putting the truck under that load. I proceeded to explain to the president of the dealership what was happening and that I needed to get into another truck if Ford was unable to solve the problem. He was very understanding and fair to me about locating a '21 and made me a generous offer and I made the move to a "21 XLT with the 3.5 Ecoboost. It seems like a great truck to this point (1000 miles). The dealership has not been able to get the '19 ironed out to this point, as I understand it. I was not really wanting to play the waiting game on getting it fixed as fishing season was moving on and I wasn't able to tow my boat with that truck, in my opinion.

I don't feel as though there was a transmission problem before the cam phasor replacement. I do believe, as did the service department, as I understand it, that the re-flash of the PCM was the source of the problem. I was also under the impression that Ford engineers were working on solving the problem and it could not be fixed until they figured it out.

Hopefully, Ford will be able to figure this out soon and will be able to take care of others who have the same problem (like the one in Texas). I don't know if this helps your situation any, but my transmission began to act up immediately after the PCM re-flash. Good luck with it and post things as your situation progresses, if you desire, so that others may learn from it. Thanks, Vin19

1 - 20 of 25 Posts