F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Shudder after reflash of pcm.
I wonder why ford dealers can't put the old pcm program back?
That would tell them if the flash is the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The service department told me that once it's done, it's done. No going back. Apparently, once the cam phasors are replaced, a PCM re-flash is necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, I probably should have waited to calm down a bit before I put this online, however I want to pass this along as I am so upset right now and there is no resolution to my problem as of yet.
I have a 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat crew cab. I have about 79,500 miles on it and I took it to the dealership to have it looked at as I saw that there was a recall on the Cam phasers issue. They took a look at it and said yes there was a problem. I think no big deal as I have the premium extended warranty on my truck so there will be a 100.00 deductable. The shop orders the parts and then I am scheduling the truck for the work to be completed and the dealership calls me back and says that my warranty will not cover the cost. Since the problem is under a recall notice that they will only cover 66% of the cost and my out of pocket amount will be $1,200.00. I am livid. I bought the extended warranty for this exact issue. It is not a first generation truck but there are still issues. So I have been talking to the dealership shop for two days trying to get this issues resolved with them talking to Ford reps, etc. The dealership told me if there was not a recall on this, this would be a covered item and the 100.00 would pay for the repair. So at this point Ford is screwing people over knowing that this is a known issue. So I finally call Ford customer service line myself today and I talk to a lady and she tells me that there is a recall on this part and that it is not 100% covered because I have more then 69,000 miles on my truck. If I had less then that Ford would pay 100%. I told her the reason they would pay, is because the parts don't go bad that fast. And since I have an extended warranty on my truck they should honor that and repair this issue for my deductable amount. Not going to happen she says. She put me on hold several time and keeps coming back with the same no, not going to happen. I told her what good is the extended warranty if they wont honor it? No reply, except, I understand why you are upset. I want everyone here to know I am furious and can not believe they can do this. I will be telling everyone I meet and see what a bunch of crap this is, if Ford does not honor a warranty they sold me with the vehicle. I told her they should just say there is a recall on the whole motor and they won't have to pay for anything.

I am not happy about this situation. Anyone out there have any ideas? I am not done nor heard back from the dealership, as their Rep was supposedly out on medical leave and they had a call into another Rep. I am hoping that Ford will do the right thing and Honor a premium Warranty I bought to cover my truck to 100,000 miles. I drive a lot and knew they could be an issue in the future, why I spend the money up front.

Ok Last follow up update. I want to say that after prodding, the Ford company did the right thing and replaced the parts under my warranty for the 100.00 deductible. I have since picked up the Truck and it is running better then ever. I work away from home in MI so I have had the chance to drive it in the city and on the highway, it is running great and I can not say enough good things about the repair!! I will shout out to Ford Auto World in Anderson, IN for taking care of my vehicle. I know it was not their decision not to handle this correctly from the start, they just could not fix this repair and not get paid. I am glad that Ford finally stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. And If I did not have an extended warranty from Ford then I could understand how they would not want to fully pay for the repair. However if this is a known and ongoing issue, Can Ford please step up to the plate and figure out the root causes and fix it before many more folks get soured and turned against buying a Ford truck or especially the Ecoboost 3.5 Liter engine. I really enjoy my vehicle and hope to have it for years to come. And as an added bonus I think it is running better as my gas mileage seems to be 1 to 2 MPG better then I was previously getting!!!
View attachment 172029
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
It’s a bit more complicated than you think. There are only certain calibrations available per version of IDS.

This is where it gets tricky. In order to obtain the new calibration, IDS has to be updated. Once IDS has been updated, the newest calibration is loaded and the old will be discarded.

Technicans have no ability to jump back/ restore calibrations.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts