F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, when I go into settings, I can’t slide the button over on automatic update, anyone else have this problem? Also if I go and put a date in for updates, it won’t save it.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,730 Posts
Your APIM is stuck on the infamous OTA 1.4 update.

There's 2 choices:

1. Take it to the dealership for the TSB that was finally released to address the issue. But fair warning, only a small percentage of dealerships have someone employed that can successfully fix the truck. Many folks have left their truck at the dealership for WEEKS and still not get the APIM updated. It's a sad situation.

2. Buy an approved ODB adapter for Ford's FDRS software, then buy a 2 day license for FDRS, and then update the APIM yourself. But even this method has its own potential headache because some percentage of the APIMs that are stuck on that particular version will not immediately "kickoff" the actual update when you stick the USB memory stick (with the update files) in the truck.
If yours is one of those trucks that do not immediately recognize the update on the stick, then you just have to leave the USB stick in the truck permanently as you use it daily. At some point within 1 day to as long as a month, the truck will suddenly recognize the USB update and your APIM will escape purgatory.

Once that problem is solved, your truck can resume receiving OTA updates, but at the timing and discretion of Ford's servers. But if you wanted to you could just purchase another 2-day license and complete all the updates available for your truck manually. Just set aside a couple of days to sit in the truck and make sure you have the battery on a battery charger. You will be running on accessory power for several hours and you MUST keep your battery at 12.4V or higher. Consistently nonstop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your APIM is stuck on the infamous OTA 1.4 update.

There's 2 choices:

1. Take it to the dealership for the TSB that was finally released to address the issue. But fair warning, only a small percentage of dealerships have someone employed that can successfully fix the truck. Many folks have left their truck at the dealership for WEEKS and still not get the APIM updated. It's a sad situation.

2. Buy an approved ODB adapter for Ford's FDRS software, then buy a 2 day license for FDRS, and then update the APIM yourself. But even this method has its own potential headache because some percentage of the APIMs that are stuck on that particular version will not immediately "kickoff" the actual update when you stick the USB memory stick (with the update files) in the truck.
If yours is one of those trucks that do not immediately recognize the update on the stick, then you just have to leave the USB stick in the truck permanently as you use it daily. At some point within 1 day to as long as a month, the truck will suddenly recognize the USB update and your APIM will escape purgatory.

Once that problem is solved, your truck can resume receiving OTA updates, but at the timing and discretion of Ford's servers. But if you wanted to you could just purchase another 2-day license and complete all the updates available for your truck manually. Just set aside a couple of days to sit in the truck and make sure you have the battery on a battery charger. You will be running on accessory power for several hours and you MUST keep your battery at 12.4V or higher. Consistently nonstop.
Thank you snakebitten, either choice sounds painful, I have a few recalls and one issue to be looked at so I’ll go the dealership route this time. I was a tech at a Chrysler Jeep dealership up until last year for 34 years so I understand the pain and potential issues with software updates. Hopefully the dealer I got the truck from is competent enough to handle it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts