F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
You could sell it and buy a 250 or 350. May not be the answer you're looking for but it is the right answer.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,208 Posts
I kinda want to get a Ranger to tow my camper around just to see people balking at the campground. Lol. I've seen a couple in the state parks.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I know a guy tows 7000 with his 2019 Ranger XLT regularly.

Reactions: winchested

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So, basically, although I cannot increase the rated payload. If I am "just over payload", if I go from P to LT tires, and add a leaf each side, my overall towing experience should be better and safer?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Better. Maybe safer. You still have to stop and hope the weight of the trailer doesn't overcome the weight of the truck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Better. Maybe safer. You still have to stop and hope the weight of the trailer doesn't overcome the weight of the truck.
Still have the brake controller, etc.. Have towed a 7k trailer with no issues except tranny temp after return.
I would be over PL by around 100-150lbs, not a bunch

·
Registered
70 Posts
For what is worth i added Timbrens to my 14 Limited and I have no problems hauling a pallet of landscape blocks in the bed. What's the tongue weight of your trailer? My trailer weight around 6k with 400lb tongue weight.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,208 Posts
For what is worth i added Timbrens to my 14 Limited and I have no problems hauling a pallet of landscape blocks in the bed. What's the tongue weight of your trailer? My trailer weight around 6k with 400lb tongue weight.
Your camper GVWR is 6k but the tongue weight is only 400 ?

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Timbren SES can definitely assist with towing and hauling by helping to stabilize the load and keep the truck level. If you're towing beyond capacity then like mentioned above a bigger truck may be necessary.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
When examining what the Heavy duty payload pack is comprised of, they only really mention a few things
Includes:
• 3.73 Electronic-locking Rear-Axle
• 9.75" Gearset
• 36 Gallon Fuel Tank
• LT265/70R 18C OWL All-Terrain Tires (A/T) (T8C)
• Upgraded Springs

• 18" Silver Painted Aluminum Heavy-Duty Payload Package Wheels

I would only be at a calculated 150-200lbs over 'sticker payload' and way under 'towing capacity" (4000-5000lb UVW trailer)

My guess is the LT tires (E rated) would be the first thing, then the added spring on each side
I also plan to get one of those 14 row trans coolers to replace the stock one.

IF I decide to buy a trailer

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
When examining what the Heavy duty payload pack is comprised of, they only really mention a few things
Includes:
• 9.75" Gearset
• 36 Gallon Fuel Tank
• Upgraded Springs

I would only be at a calculated 150-200lbs over 'sticker payload' and way under 'towing capacity" (4000-5000lb UVW trailer)

My guess is the LT tires (E rated) would be the first thing, then the added spring on each side

The HD Payload package on the 11-14 trucks included stiffer springs, stiffer sway bar, different axles that had 7 lug nuts on each wheel, a thicker frame and probably some other items I am not thinking of. The frame is shared with all 157" and 163" trucks but the axles and springs are unique to the HD package. The is no heavy duty 145" frame.

The max tow package is also a higher GVWR and was stiffer springs in the rear and a stouter sway bar. I believe on the 145" crew cab truck it had a GVWR of 7650 lbs instead of the normal 7200.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Includes:
• 9.75" Gearset
• 36 Gallon Fuel Tank
• Upgraded Springs

I've been hauling upwards of 7500 lbs with no aux cooler on 3.31s for years. Mind you I don't tow mountain passes.

I just recently put 3.73s in the pumpkins to help tow a bit better with my bigger tires.

Never seen higher than 205* F on my trans.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So, interesting conversations with a few RV service managers.

In their experience, when you utilize the proper load distribution hitch, you transfer axle weight back into the trailer, taking the load off the truck axle.
When properly sized and matched, you should not max your payload unless YOU load the bed of your truck.

This should allow you to use a trailer that "says" the tongue weight would put you over. As long as you match the hitch to the estimated tongue weght.

they also warned about using TOO HIGH of a dist hitch, like a 1200 on a 700 TW trailer.

So my worry about being a couple of hundred over, should be null, since I always planned on a weight dist hitch setup

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

In their experience, when you utilize the proper load distribution hitch, you transfer axle weight back into the trailer, taking the load off the truck axle.
When properly sized and matched, you should not max your payload unless YOU load the bed of your truck.

This should allow you to use a trailer that "says" the tongue weight would put you over. As long as you match the hitch to the estimated tongue weght.

they also warned about using TOO HIGH of a dist hitch, like a 1200 on a 700 TW trailer.

So my worry about being a couple of hundred over, should be null, since I always planned on a weight dist hitch setup
I agree with this. Ultimately you have to run it over the scales to really know what weight is actually on your truck axles.

Reactions: mwemaxxowner

·
Administrator
11,279 Posts
I never looked to see what my trailer axle weights were without the spring bars engaged. I need to scale it all again and see. That would be interesting. I was looking mostly at front axle load and my tongue weight percentage.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,208 Posts

RV salespeople are even worst than car salesmen !

Reactions: mwemaxxowner

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Also makes me wonder how much of the load is pushed forward to the front axle with a weight dist hitch ???

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,208 Posts
Oh. Manu. numbers. The hitch weight is based on the dry weight. Hogwash. Use 12-15% of the GVWR for the hitch weight which should actually be called tongue weight.

·
Administrator
11,279 Posts
I'd counter that and say weigh it!

You'll always be surprised how much more stuff weighs than you think it would. My truck has a 6500 gvwr and a 1524 payload, but I scale it with a full tank and me in the driver's seat and it's 5300. I'm not real sure WHERE the missing 300 lbs is! I have a few hand tools under the rear seat, WT floor mats, some papers in the console. I guess it just all adds up way more than you think.

My camper has a listed 600 tongue weight, but it actually has 850-900 when packed. Although I intentionally raise that number to hit around 13%. I could lower it...but I don't want to!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I usually have a heavy Northshore rack with 5 bikes on the back, I'm not far over the 450 loaded. I load it evenly and mostly over the axles. I never fill the tanks for the drive if we're dry camping, ill do it as close as possible.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts