F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Is there too much needed?
I know going to LT tires helps with safety, if towing a lot.
But my payload is 1362, so with regular tires, my family, and a bit of cargo, I can barely hook up a 4000lb trailer without going over my payload limits.
tow capacity at 9600lbs according to the '14 tow guide I found

Unfortunately, I found out that they don't offer the max payload package on the Screw short bed, only the 6.5'

2014, Screw, eco, 4x4, brake controller, etc.. no tow package.
I need to upgrade the trans cooler, etc.. but can anything be done to the truck to help with payload weight rating?

I have towed a "too big trailer" fine, on relatively flat terrain, but trans temp was high.
We are considering a trailer, our short list ones are the non slide 26' BH around 5500lbs UVW/ 7000lb max. There are a few in the 4000lb range, but we lose family space.

There are many things you can do to make it handle a load better, but technically none of it increases your rated payload. Overload springs, add a leaf, roadmaster active suspension, sumosprings, and airbags will all help you handle weight on the truck better.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #3 ·
My main concern is, IF I were towing over the rating 'limits' (not much trailer needed) and something were to happen, I could be in big trouble for knowingly exceeding the ratings of the truck. Plus, I don't WANT anything to happen either, hurting my family or others.
A little frustrated that I bought a truck that can "tow 9600lbs", but can only really tow a 4000lb trailer.

As Maxx stated, you technically cannot increase your ACTUAL payload. But...I can tell you that just adding the Firestone bags to my 2015 drastically and I mean DRASTICALLY improved handling and safety for pulling whatever trailer I put behind it. I would strongly suggest adding bags, add a leaf, etc. as Maxx already mentioned. Something else I have found to be very effective is a WDH, as it being combined with bags or otherwise additional stuff makes it so much better.

The 3.5 is a very effective torque monster, so the rating as put by Ford, in my opinion is conservative. Some will harp on the safety aspect and while I agree the light weight of these dudes makes it an issue that cannot be overlooked, one cannot discount that the truck is still very CAPABLE.

My .02

My main concern is, IF I were towing over the rating 'limits' (not much trailer needed) and something were to happen, I could be in big trouble for knowingly exceeding the ratings of the truck. Plus, I don't WANT anything to happen either, hurting my family or others.
A little frustrated that I bought a truck that can "tow 9600lbs", but can only really tow a 4000lb trailer.
If that is your concern there's nothing you can do about it.

There's no way to have it recertified for your changes.

It's not simply add-ons. it's the rating of the chassis itself. If you are concerned about going over and the legal ramifications in an accident, you need to buy a truck with more capacity.

You could pull parts off to increase your payload. Remove the skid plates, spare tire, running boards, tailgate, rear seats, etc and I bet you could bump it pretty substantially.

No they did not have the heavy duty payload package in your config but the max-tow package would increase it by 450 lbs I believe. Without max tow was a 7200 lb GVWR and with Max tow was 7650.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Hard to find a used one with max tow/payload with decent miles on it either...

Might be easier to step up to a base super duty.

Reactions: arod
You bought the wrong truck sorry... Even my 2011 F150 non tow pkg truck with original 3.31 gears had over 1500 lbs payload. I've towed 7500 lbs+ plenty of times. With zero issues.

Recently just put 3.73 gears in, and a 3/4 rise bed cap.

Unfortunately nothing increases your yellow door sticker payload.

Reactions: F150Rusher
I didn’t finish sorry. I tow a 24’ HydraSports, probably 4500 lbs with trailer. It’s a 3.5 with tons of power, just not enough truck.
Um you could tow that with a 2.3L ranger... Even the non tow pkg F150s with 3.31 gears are rated for 7K...

Which is exactly what I was towing 5k lb scout II on a 2K lb trailer... With 33.5" tires...

Zero problems towing at all.

Now with 3.73s in my diffs I've got extra ability.

Um you could tow that with a 2.3L ranger... Even the non tow pkg F150s with 3.31 gears are rated for 7K...

Which is exactly what I was towing 5k lb scout II on a 2K lb trailer... With 33.5" tires...

Zero problems towing at all.

Now with 3.73s in my diffs I've got extra ability.
I kinda want to get a Ranger to tow my camper around just to see people balking at the campground. Lol. I've seen a couple in the state parks.

I towed a 4500 lb Mastercraft X1 with my Jeep liberty. That is a 4200 lb suv, with a 180hp motor with a 104" wheelbase. If your F150 isn't enough then there is something seriously wrong.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.