F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a bit of looking around (here and Google) and have seen answers that are all over the place in regards to this question. The answers seem to be dependent on the types of vehicles and engine sizes. So, I'm going to ask all of you resident experts about our trucks....
Are there any ill-effects by running super-high octane (racing fuel or jet fuel) gasoline in our trucks? Is the PCM limited in how much it can advance or retard timing? In my case, I am completely stock- hypothetically, what would the advantages or disadvantages be of me running a full tank of 100+ octane fuel?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I have done a bit of looking around (here and Google) and have seen answers that are all over the place in regards to this question. The answers seem to be dependent on the types of vehicles and engine sizes. So, I'm going to ask all of you resident experts about our trucks....
Are there any ill-effects by running super-high octane (racing fuel or jet fuel) gasoline in our trucks? Is the PCM limited in how much it can advance or retard timing? In my case, I am completely stock- hypothetically, what would the advantages or disadvantages be of me running a full tank of 100+ octane fuel?
You cannot run Jet Fuel, it's basically kerosene.

Avgas is high octane but even the Low Lead ... contains lead and will screw up your O2 sensor and Catalytic Converter. Only if you have an older pre-early 1970s car with original engine would you be able to run Avgas 100LL with no effects. But ordinary Avgas 100 has too much lead even for an early engine.

Also, in most regions, Avgas is "dyed" as it is not intended for street use. It is illegal to use on the highway and if you get caught, you could face hefty fines and possibly seizure of your vehicle.

And, for the most part, if your truck is NOT tuned for the higher octane fuel, you will see minimal benefits. If you run 93 in a stock truck, the amount of HP increase is so minimal, you will not get a noticeable increase in power - maybe 5-10HP at most. You will get more from a "retuned" engine for 87 octane, than a stock engine running 93 Octane.

If you want the full benefits of higher octane, consider methanol injection (retuned of course). You will get the full benefits of the higher octane Methanol AND the cleaning action on your valves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
first of all jet fuel is #1 diesel and aviation gas (100LL)contain lead stay away from those and running race gas in a stock motor is a waste of money .... race gas has a higher octane rating witch mean its harder to burn more resistant to knocking and pinging if you dont add ignition timing,boost or compression there is no gain from burning race gas the stock pcm has safe boundary built in it will only advance timing to a preset point if the knock sensor doesnt detect pinging the good thing about race gas its ethanol free and its doesnt contain water and as a super long shelf life

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is there any benefit at all from running 93 in a stock truck? Gas mileage, power, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a question that will get you TONS of opinionated answers... but FOR ME, IN MY TRUCK, I do notice about a 20-25 mile per tank increase in mileage (minimal BUT it is an increase), smoother operating, and the peace-of-mind that I am running a cleaner quality fuel with fewer possibilities of valve coking due to carbon deposits (same reason I use full synthetic motor oil).

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Not to hi-jack but, there was a noticeable difference when running 93 octane. And the truck is not tuned either.
That's called the "Placebo Effect". If you were to run it on a dyno, you wouldn't see more than a 10HP difference ... You can notice more of a change from atmospheric changes (cooler temps/less humidity).

Guys who have installed Methanol Injection (109 Octane) have found LITTLE gain with the Meth until they were retuned. The exception are those guys who were running too hot a tune and experience heavy Knock Retard before installing the Meth kit.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
This is a question that will get you TONS of opinionated answers... but FOR ME, IN MY TRUCK, I do notice about a 20-25 mile per tank increase in mileage (minimal BUT it is an increase), smoother operating, and the peace-of-mind that I am running a cleaner quality fuel with fewer possibilities of valve coking due to carbon deposits (same reason I use full synthetic motor oil).
You will see a BIGGER gain by the way your drive.

PS: Your question has been asked HUNDREDS of times on this board and elsewhere. And always the same answers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You're contradicting yourself a little, if I were to gain your '10' horsepower then that wouldn't be placebo at all. That would be an actual difference.
However if I actually gained nothing, that would be a placebo effect.
I am positive the truck runs smoother and acceleration is a little better. HP increase? I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
You're contradicting yourself a little, if I were to gain your '10' horsepower then that wouldn't be placebo at all. That would be an actual difference.
However if I actually gained nothing, that would be a placebo effect.
I am positive the truck runs smoother and acceleration is a little better. HP increase? I doubt it.

Trust me, a 10HP gain on a 6,000 lb truck is MINIMAL and you will NOT feel it. I am being polite and trying to not start a BUNCH of arguments over 10HP.

At the track you won't even see a 1/10th difference in your et. If you want REAL performance, make a 100RWHP over stock. Now we have something to chat about.

However, how about the better question... what to do when you are running the highest octane fuel available in your area and you are still encountering Knock Retard and LOSING potential HP. That's a far more interesting question.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Again, this stupid question was asked HUNDREDS of times all with the same answer.

It should be banned.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PS: Your question has been asked HUNDREDS of times on this board and elsewhere. And always the same answers.
I advance searched for my question before asking it, and even went through 16 pages of possible search results without seeing the "too much octane" question. ;)

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Again, this stupid question was asked HUNDREDS of times all with the same answer.

It should be banned.
Geez....and I thought you Canadians were supposed to be nice? ;)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I advance searched for my question before asking it, and even went through 16 pages of possible search results without seeing the "too much octane" question. ;)
To answer your question, you cannot run too much octane in a vehicle. Octane is just a # that pertains to anti knock rating. With that said, 87 burns quicker and hotter than 91, hence why pre-ignition happens more on our trucks on 87 (KR), and why Ford recommends premium fuel when towing.
If the PCM didn't retard the timing on 87, you may actually make more power... Just before she goes BOOM!!!

Now, the type of fuel that you use to get the high octane rating is is what you wanna be careful with. Some contain lead, which is very bad for your emissions equipment, others are corrosive (E85).
You can get unleaded race fuel that won't hurt the emissions stuff... heck, wanna go nuts and get a retune, stick some oxygenated gas in there... that'll bump up the power.
@Grim Reaper, our trucks are designed to perform to their full potential with OEM calibration on premium fuel (some say 91, I say 93 according to my LOR findings with the fuel I've used).
I know the 94 you get in your area is like bad 91 I get here.
Some trucks respond to Premium fuel different than others, but my guess is that if the fuel quality was consistent, all our trucks on stock tune would perform better all around on said premium fuel. Heck, one would just have to look at the KR to see the difference.

Unfortunately, gasoline quality at public pumps varies too much for any of this too be overly relevant.

With that said, Elmore, get a tune already.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Why do people get butthurt when a question is asked? Are we filling up on the amount of new posts this forum can have? Is it a requirement to open every topic, even if you do not like that topic? Am I required to post on a topic, even if I do not like it? Are we to search all other forums on the internet first, just to make sure it has not been asked elsewhere?
These are the things we should know and be posted in the forum rules so no one ever asks any questions again to not offend someone.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To answer your question, you cannot run too much octane in a vehicle. Octane is just a # that pertains to anti knock rating. With that said, 87 burns quicker and hotter than 91, hence why pre-ignition happens more on our trucks on 87 (KR), and why Ford recommends premium fuel when towing.
If the PCM didn't retard the timing on 87, you may actually make more power... Just before she goes BOOM!!!

Now, the type of fuel that you use to get the high octane rating is is what you wanna be careful with. Some contain lead, which is very bad for your emissions equipment, others are corrosive (E85).
You can get unleaded race fuel that won't hurt the emissions stuff... heck, wanna go nuts and get a retune, stick some oxygenated gas in there... that'll bump up the power.
@GRImreaper, our trucks are designed to perform to their full potential with OEM calibration on premium fuel (some say 91, I say 93 according to my LOR findings with the fuel I've used).
I know the 94 you get in your area is like bad 91 I get here.
Some trucks respond to Premium fuel different than others, but my guess is that if the fuel quality was consistent, all our trucks on stock tune would perform better all around on said premium fuel. Heck, one would just have to look at the KR to see the difference.

Unfortunately, gasoline quality at public pumps varies too much for any of this too be overly relevant.

With that said, Elmore, get a tune already.
THANK YOU @noodles! This was the type of information that I was looking for.

As for "getting a tune already"- I'd be scared to. LOL
I Love my truck and think that its the fastest, nicest, and best performing vehicle I have ever owned...and it's all stock. Without being tuned or having driven one that is tuned, I don't know what I'm missing. I think I may live vicariously through you people and by reading about your tuned trucks. If I ever drive a tuned truck, then I will be in BIG financial trouble because the "mod-bug" will hit me and I know that is what I will be doing to my truck.

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Why do people get butthurt when a question is asked? Are we filling up on the amount of new posts this forum can have? Is it a requirement to open every topic, even if you do not like that topic? Am I required to post on a topic, even if I do not like it? Are we to search all other forums on the internet first, just to make sure it has not been asked elsewhere?
These are the things we should know and be posted in the forum rules so no one ever asks any questions again to not offend someone.
Agreed. 100%. This is the nature of a forum. If it wasn't for asking questions, they wouldn't exist.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 62 Posts