F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2013 f150 2wd and I'm trying to get the oil pan off and I just cant seem to get it I have all the bolts out and i have pried one side loose and I just cant get the stupid thing off. Ford uses rtv as the seal since there is no gasket and makes getting the pan off almost impossible do you guys have any tips on how to get the oil pan off. Ecoboost are the hardest engine's to work on the simples task can turn into nightmare.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Removing an oil pan isn't always the simplest, some engines need to be hoisted up to clear the crank/front suspension.

Have you tried a putty knife or paint scraper to separate the pan/block?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recflyboy you got it I missed those two bolts there really hard to see and i couldn't find a schematic of the pan anywhere but I finally got it off and the reason I was pulling the pan because I dropped a small part into the head and it fell down an oil port but once I got the the pan off no sign of the part so now Im at a stand still at this point. and not sure what to do.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Recflyboy you got it I missed those two bolts there really hard to see and i couldn't find a schematic of the pan anywhere but I finally got it off and the reason I was pulling the pan because I dropped a small part into the head and it fell down an oil port but once I got the the pan off no sign of the part so now Im at a stand still at this point. and not sure what to do.
That sucks!
Do you have a bore scope? Amazon sells them for under $50.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do I ran my camera all the way down the port and at the bottom of the port it made a 90 degree turn and the part was sitting right in that 90. So I assumed that 90 degree turn dumped into the pan and after pulling the pan to my surprise i cant find that port anywhere from the bottom side of the motor so I honestly have to clue where that passage go. I dropped the part down a passageway in the passenger cylinder at the very back of the head closest to the firewall. The part is made out of brass so you cant get it with a magnet and i tried for hours to get it out from the top of the moor with something stick and it just wasn't working so my next option was to pull the pan so now im screwed I guess Im gonna just run it and hope for the best and if i I blow the motor it is what it is.

·
Registered
895 Posts
What did you drop?
You saw the part or just the 90 bend?
I'll grasp for straws here..
Compressed air into oil port?
Get one of those grabber tools and jam it in there?
Piece of wire?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The part was the brass stem off of the vacuum pump that bolts to the back of the passenger cylinder head. I was reinstalling the vacuum pump and some how that stem fell off the pump and into the cylinder head. But I can see the stem it is at the very bottom of the oil port sitting at the bottom in the 90 degree turn. I tried compressed air didn't work I cant get a grabber into the passageway has to many bends I tried everything imaginable the last option was to pull the head which is out of my comfort zone a shop quoted me 2500 to pull the head and put a new timing chain on. you may be able to get it out with the head off

·
Registered
895 Posts
How deep are you talking?
Is there a thinner grabber that could fit?

Would using some thin wire with a fish hook-esqe end work?

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you can wait until tomorrow morning I will take a look and see where that oil passage going in the block.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be great if you could find out where that passageway goes if you look at the passenger head its the passage way is at the very back of the head in front of the vacuum pimp the passageway is right under the last lobe on the exhaust cam. And to answer you question a grabber wont work the exhaust cam is right over the passageway iand its very challenging to get anything into the passageway and the passage is at least 12 inches deep to the botoom.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That corner where it is sitting is right above the rear main bearing. From the corner the oil goes backwards and then down between the rear seal housing and the rear main bearing into the oil pan. I am not to sure how big the piece is you dropped but it should just make it’s way into the oil pan if it is not to big.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that's good to know the part is pretty large its at lest a 1/4 inch inch diameter by 1 1/2 inches in length it the turns are tight it may never make its way to pan and just sit in that passageway forever my only hope is if it stays it doesn't restrict oil flow enough to affect anything. This is the vacuum pump and the brass stem in the center of the pump is what fell down that passageway the entire stem intact went down the passageway. This gives you an idea what is stuck in there. I really apricate the help it means a lot.
aab49353b7ebb2cb7adef9af214a2c1a.jpeg

·
Registered
5,964 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
If I had to guess I would say it will never make the turn between the oil seal cover and the Rear main cap. But where it is sitting is about a 3/4” Square opening and where the opening is covered by the oil seal cover it is open all the way around and the cover is about 3/8” away so I can’t see it having any effect on the oil flow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well at this point I'm going to just run the it with that part stuck in the oil passageway and accept the risk that it may or may not cause harm to the motor and if it hurts the motor ill just replace it the motor has 120k on it anyway. I really apricate the help.
Woo boost that stem on the vacuum pump will just pop right out if you pull hard on it its not connected permanently to the pump be careful attaching the pump back on the head my stem fell into the head after attempting to align the pump for installation i was pulling the pump away from the head to turn the aliment gear and that stem caught the edge of the head and fell into the head. My heart sank when this happened.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts