F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been looking at caps for my 2013 F150 Lariat. I really like the A.R.E. Overland series. I was just wondering if anyone has positive/negative experiences or if there is another brand I would be stupid not to look at before diving into my purchase. Or any tips on type of side windows to look at or avoid etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the A.R.E. "Z Series" on my 2013. I've used A.R.E. exclusively for the last twenty years after having quality problems and support issues with Leer in the mid-90's. I have not had any quality or paint issues with A.R.E. and have been very happy with them... Their downside is their dealer network is a bit thin, at least here in Georgia, and they do cost a bit more...but they are worth it to me. As far as side windows I prefer the crank out rear quarters versus the sliders but I have used both styles. My Z Series has frame less glass with crank outs and it looks really sharp! Sliders have a bad habit of collecting dust and crud in the tracks if you aren't careful...and making it known at the worst time. But sliders may offer more airflow if you need a lot of fresh air. Just flush out the tracks periodically... If it is available make sure you order the front window with the option that allows it to fold inward to clean it and your trucks rear window! This is my first cap with that little jewel and it is well worth the money! Pet Screen protectors are also well worth the money if you carry dogs. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try and answer them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went with a Ranch Sierra bed cap with built in toolboxes on each side. Custom ordered. Paid $1900 installed ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394762090.269247.jpg

Sent from my Siri instructed iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Looks nice. The toolboxes are integrated? Can you show us?

At home I rule the roost on the road I rule the boost!

·
Registered
152 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394762577.281947.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Photo showing drivers side. Passenger side has the same setup. Manufacturer says 75 lbs static load for each box. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394762615.924970.jpg

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I like it.

At home I rule the roost on the road I rule the boost!

Reactions: compman72

·
Registered
152 Posts
I built a shelf unit for each side for tools as it is a work truck. A person could set it up with lots of led lighting in the boxes and in the bed for those night time jobs. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394762826.158257.jpg

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
152 Posts
www.ranchfiberglass.com

As ResLdr1 said A.R.E. Dealers are thin in Georgia and Leer you pay for the name I have been very pleased with the purchase.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Wayne! Great advice. My local dealer seems pretty good but had not had a customer order an overland series cap yet. I really like the frame less glass too but just want to make sure they give my dogs enough air.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jason truck caps! Most truck caps are made in Elkhart IN. Fiberglass and gel is the same it is the workers that make a good cap or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I really like the frame less glass too but just want to make sure they give my dogs enough air.
Here is what I do when carrying my five rescue dogs around in Hotlanta heat and traffic: I have the sliding rear window in the truck, and on the cap, so on warm to low end hot days I open them up to let some air from the truck's A/C pass into the cap. Opening the rear cap vent windows in my Z Series creates a suction and pulls the cooler air through the bed area as long as I'm moving. If it is really hot or humid out, or bad traffic is causing me to drive slow, the dogs go in to my backseat and enjoy the view and A/C as they are why I bought a SuperCrew anyway... Now if only my Bearded Collie mix wouldn't leave a pound of multicolor, long hair everywhere, every time he rides in the cab....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an a.r.e. z series that I've been very happy with. Fit is very good, paint match is not perfect but very close. I got the e-lock option with it which is very nice. Locks and unlocks with my truck key

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts