F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys tomorrow im getting my Sub and amp installed on my 2019 F150 XLT Non Sony, just stock 8" screen with sync 3, (hertz hcp 1dk, and alpine type R 12) the install guy said that he suggests to install a LOC for 60$ and says that its strongly recommended to clean up the Bass Roll Off, and flatten the frequency before the amp . Do I really need one? I believe my Amp already has Hi Speaker Levels and i was thinking to just tell him to tap into the front speakers to avoid buying the LOC will that work? Or should i purchase it for 60$? My other question is do i need a line-in converter? or is that the same thing as a LOC? Thanks guys

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
2,317 Posts
I’m surprised he is only charging $60 extra to clean up the bass output from the crappy stock head. Stock systems must do ‘bass roll-off’ to protect the crappy speakers they use in the doors. You want ALL the low bass available to that Hertz amp and Alpine subwoofer, correct ? Seems like sound dude has something right. I used Audiocontrol and DSP to get my sound right. You are getting off cheap.

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD stock
40 Posts
As Arkansas already stated...quite well actually.

Do the LOC. That is cheap and is the "right way" to do it...much cleaner than hacking harnesses too!

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD stock
40 Posts
Oh and the LOC is a Line Out Converter so to answer your question it is virtually the same thing, albeit very few amplifiers have quality LIC (line in converters.) Even a Scosche (one of the cheapest LOC's) has better electronics (component wise) than most in an amplifier.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Going against the current here a LOC is not needed. Most decent amps accept speaker level inputs and the full range speaker output from even the base Sync head unit is clean. Use a FOR 11 CK harness to patch between the head unit and the factory wire loom to add amplifiers and DSP. I feed an 8 inch Rockord Fosgate from a split in my FOR 11 CK speaker level and it's a good clean signal. KM

PS; When I was looking for parts I found reference to a difference between the front speaker input which is a full band signal and the rear lines which are clipped to limit bass. At the time this did not matter as I have regular cab no rear speakers, and only installed front components, amp, and DSP for timing and tuning. I used the front signal to supply subwoofer input. km

·
Premium Member
8,600 Posts
I don't know the technical jargon to explain why, but when they did my build, they explained why they left the factory Amp in place and it had something to do with obtaining an unprocessed signal, to be fed to the new "processor".

You can see the factory Amp mounted on the right side of the Amp rack. So I'm guessing this was in lieu of a loc?

Or am I confused about what the choices are?

I believe they used this to extract the source.
(I wanted to keep the factory dash Sync3 interface for the build)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
In your case, @snakebitten , the OEM amp is just an easier and better output to the DSP using the Amp Pro interface because more outputs from the OEM amp than from the OEM head.
No need for an LOC. All you need is front left and right from the head to DSP, then you configure the outputs to the appropriate amp inputs.
The $60 LOC the OP is talking about is a unit that does more than convert hi to low. It also restores the bass, or eliminates the bass roll-off. This is in lieu of a DSP. Less control of sound and less outputs to amps but he is only doing a subwoofer.
@butthead , the rear speakers in your truck aren’t ‘clipped’. Clipping is a term relating to an electrical signal and is bad. The rear speakers are ‘bandpassed’. They don’t get a full high or a full low signal. The front speakers do get the full bass signal except it is ‘rolled off’ from about 80hz down. In other words, as the bass gets lower in frequency, it also gets lower in volume or db, and the more output you give it with the volume knob, the more rolloff is applied.
I hope this all makes sense and clears up some confusion.

·
Premium Member
8,600 Posts
That actually made perfect sense. Thanks.

What got into you? Lol

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
That actually made perfect sense. Thanks.

What got into you? Lol

HAHAHA
I’ve had a pretty good 7 days off :cool:

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
My term "clipped" was inappropriate. But the Front signal is a full range signal as you point out. As such is a good feed for an external amp and it's separate sound control suite of levels and cutoffs. Using a LOC to change hig to low level signals and RCA plugs feeding an amp that acepts high level imput is adding extra connections and signal changes to the system, further complicating things. Then again the idea was moot in my case as a DSP is used. KM

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Like I said, the fronts signal IS full range but it IS NOT a good signal going into a subwoofer amp. The $60 LOC + bass restore is appropriate for the OP.

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD stock
40 Posts
Guys I apologize if I relayed improper information. Sleep deprived. A lot of good information here, learned something new.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Like I said, the fronts signal IS full range but it IS NOT a good signal going into a subwoofer amp. The $60 LOC + bass restore is appropriate for the OP.
No intention of arguing as the OP has the choice. I have also heard that the 2015 F150 and up base radios (no external amp) are not rolled off and supply a very good signal. I do use the speaker level to supply my sub (tapped into between the head unit and the front DSP and amplifier) and notice no roll-off when setting the gain and low pass. KM

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
No intention of arguing as the OP has the choice. I have also heard that the 2015 F150 and up base radios (no external amp) are not rolled off and supply a very good signal. I do use the speaker level to supply my sub (tapped into between the head unit and the front DSP and amplifier) and notice no roll-off when setting the gain and low pass. KM
What do you use to set your sub amp gain and why aren’t you running sub signal from DSP ? I like being able to EQ and TA all my speakers including subs.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Regular cab so front only front, it's active crossover for components. OEM wiring to doors, my wiring to tweeters, processed and amped via signal from FOR 112CK harness. the signal was split at harness to supply sub signal. When tuning with pink noise generator the gains and crossover set as per instructions the sub disconnected. Once done with front stage reconnected the sub and adjusted for crossover and gain again as per instructions. Parts are Morel 962 components Kicker Key amp/processor, FOR 11CK harness, sub is a Rockford Fosgate P300-8P located under passenger seat. Drawing signal from front speaker source was recommended by audio suppliers and a processor tuner separately. I'm no audiophile but the results sound exceptional to me, I set once, fine tune with head unit control is still functional with the exception of any fade front to rear (which is not there anyway). I prefer a solid audio front stage anyway so always consider rear speakers as simple fill. KM

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I prefer strong front soundstage also with 3 way seperates and even my subs seem to be in the dash but I have presets for different scenarios such as just me, front seat passenger only, rear seat passengers. For ‘just me’, everything is timed to my headrest. No TA with front passengers. A tad midbass from the rears for ‘front seat passenger’. All 4 corners full range and fully amped for ‘rear seat passengers’ but rear tweeters are angled toward rear headrests. Subs are always full throttle.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I'm 70 and my wife rides in it only occasionally, and I can count the rest of the times a passenger was with on one hand. The passenger seat is like new. Pretty much set it and forget it for me. KM

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I get it. The presets are easy to select on the remote. I have some different tunes preset also for when I wanna listen to something out if the ordinary like electronica or trance, etc. Dang you’re old LOL

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I get it. The presets are easy to select on the remote. I have some different tunes preset also for when I wanna listen to something out if the ordinary like electronica or trance, etc. Dang you’re old LOL
Yesir-am! It's part of livin". Forgetful too, but that means "new experiences" keep happening! KM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts