F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know. Pretty boring topic but I tend to obsess on things when it comes to my truck. My wife and I are teachers and since it looks like we won't be back to work for about five months I detailed the truck and covered it with a cover I bought on Amazon. Then I went online and saw a lot of people talking about outdoor covers scratching their vehicles. Any thoughts? Anyone using a cover? It's not custom FYI.

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
No problem with mine. Just don’t put cover on dirty vehicle, take off then put back on a clean vehicle🤬

·
1,927 Posts
I have mixed feelings about car covers. I think a quality cover in a controlled environment can be a good thing. That said, if you’re putting a cover on a vehicle out under the carport where wind and weather can get to them I think they can do harm. I’ve seen a couple of situations where wind blown covers have damaged paint beyond repair short of a repaint. As Mr. B said covering up a dirty car with a cover is probably asking for the grit to be ground in too.

·
Premium Member
2017 Ford F150 3.5 King Ranch
71 Posts
I had a great cover for my Dodge Challenger, nice and shinny red. I know it had a softer inside. I paid I think around $350 for it at the time. I went with an expensive one for that very reason, so keep the inside baby soft and shimmery!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Also I did have it outdoors, but it really helped keep it clean. It wasn't my daily driver at the time either.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have mixed feelings about car covers. I think a quality cover in a controlled environment can be a good thing. That said, if you’re putting a cover on a vehicle out under the carport where wind and weather can get to them I think they can do harm. I’ve seen a couple of situations where wind blown covers have damaged paint beyond repair short of a repaint. As Mr. B said covering up a dirty car with a cover is probably asking for the grit to be ground in too.
That's exactly what I read and is now stressing me out. (The wind whipping it against the paint and damaging it) Don't know why I am perseverating on this so much. Too.much time on my hands I guess. The truck was spotless and the cover brand new. I will probably remove it and just put a thick coat of wax on it. Am I over thinking this?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
U gotta hear this! Most won't because it's a boring topic but hopefully you guys get a laugh at my expenses.

I realised I had to move the truck so I pulled off the cover. I inspected every inch for scratches or rub marks but to my delight not a single one. I know this because it is 4 months old and doesn't have a single scratch.

As I am buffing some spots I hear a weird scraping noise on the other side of the truck. I walk around and see my adorable two year old daughter buffing the side panel... With a big ass rock! I literally screamed "nooooo"! My poor daughter was terrified and ran off. Poor me was terrified and ran to the scratch remover.

I am not an emotional guy. The only time I can remember crying as an adult was when my grandmother and my dog died but as I walked to the garage I was getting emotional lol. Luckily it mostly buffed out which is why I can laugh about it now. Hopefully you guys get a laugh (and didn't get bored halfway through).

·
Registered
466 Posts
You’ll think about her every time you see the scratch remnants. Not a bad thing, necessarily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts