F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020, F-150 Ecoboost. XTR.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here I am….. it’s January 2022. On my way to work, in Southern Ontario, to pick up a co-worker who’s Narcoleptic.

My 2016, GMC Sierra, doesn’t sputter, doesn’t hesitate, doesn’t grind, doesn’t give me any warning — Cole’s Notes; after 400,000kms or so, the Torque Converter detonates!! Add in the stereotypical “COVID delays”, and there was no way, I was waiting a month for a new transmission, and for the installation to befuddled and handed back over to me. With an estimated $10k invoice.

Fortunately for this guy, my line of work has some really great, diverse clientele. One of whom, owns Brock Ford in Niagara Falls!!

Within a couple of days, I had test driven a few trucks, and settled on the most humble, “old-guy-driven” 2020 F-150 XTR 4x4. No marks on it, doesn’t smell funny, low mileage…. Just a clean truck!

It’s pretty well OEM at this point. Still has the factory rubber on it!

I have put a set of the Husky Floor liners front and rear, Carhartt Seat covers front and rear, as well as a random wheel cover, just for protection..

The exterior, has the Husky Wheel liners, a Tri-fold tonneau cover (the brand name escapes me at the moment…), and a full bed-rug box liner (a furniture maker’s must-have..). I didn’t really care for the random white stripe at the head of my box, under the tonneau, so I put some matte black vinyl across it to help with the transition. It just carries through from the tinted window, to the tonneau…

Things I’d say, are on my to-do list;
The levelling kit, but I’m not sure if I want to go for a small/tasteful lift as well?
It’s currently riding on the 18” chrome factory wheels - not that I dislike them, but I’d like to run some 35’s for the improvement in stance.
I’ve also read that there’s a lot of guys doing their rear shocks? If anyone wants to lend some insight on that rationale..
I’m keen to see what a colour matched raptor-style grill would look like with a headlight upgrade - but I haven’t found ones I love, (and I doubt I’d settle for leaving the tail-lights oem at that point…)

Anything Ive missed??? I’m literally brand-new to the Blue Oval’s…
Wheel sizes and offsets would be s’more than welcome!!
-Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Welcome !

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
So, here I am….. it’s January 2022. On my way to work, in Southern Ontario, to pick up a co-worker who’s Narcoleptic.

My 2016, GMC Sierra, doesn’t sputter, doesn’t hesitate, doesn’t grind, doesn’t give me any warning — Cole’s Notes; after 400,000kms or so, the Torque Converter detonates!! Add in the stereotypical “COVID delays”, and there was no way, I was waiting a month for a new transmission, and for the installation to befuddled and handed back over to me. With an estimated $10k invoice.

Fortunately for this guy, my line of work has some really great, diverse clientele. One of whom, owns Brock Ford in Niagara Falls!!

Within a couple of days, I had test driven a few trucks, and settled on the most humble, “old-guy-driven” 2020 F-150 XTR 4x4. No marks on it, doesn’t smell funny, low mileage…. Just a clean truck!

It’s pretty well OEM at this point. Still has the factory rubber on it!

I have put a set of the Husky Floor liners front and rear, Carhartt Seat covers front and rear, as well as a random wheel cover, just for protection..

The exterior, has the Husky Wheel liners, a Tri-fold tonneau cover (the brand name escapes me at the moment…), and a full bed-rug box liner (a furniture maker’s must-have..). I didn’t really care for the random white stripe at the head of my box, under the tonneau, so I put some matte black vinyl across it to help with the transition. It just carries through from the tinted window, to the tonneau…

Things I’d say, are on my to-do list;
The levelling kit, but I’m not sure if I want to go for a small/tasteful lift as well?
It’s currently riding on the 18” chrome factory wheels - not that I dislike them, but I’d like to run some 35’s for the improvement in stance.
I’ve also read that there’s a lot of guys doing their rear shocks? If anyone wants to lend some insight on that rationale..
I’m keen to see what a colour matched raptor-style grill would look like with a headlight upgrade - but I haven’t found ones I love, (and I doubt I’d settle for leaving the tail-lights oem at that point…)

Anything Ive missed??? I’m literally brand-new to the Blue Oval’s…
Wheel sizes and offsets would be s’more than welcome!!
-Mike
The Bilstein 5100's are well reviewed here. The fronts are adjustable up to 2.25" and levels nicely. Mine are at +.75" and looks level. I run 33" on factory chrome 18".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put bilstein 5100’s on your shopping list.

you can level the truck with the fronts adjustable perch, and the rears are good to 2-3” of lift or the stock height.

the rears are easy to DIY, the front are a bigger job that most would probably hire out.
Really???? I’ll have to look into those!! My local Truck n’ Stuff shop here, offers a levelling kit, but you have to get an alignment after - it all works out to a little over $1000. I feel like the schools would be a better investment for ride quality and adjustability? (Assuming I’d need an alignment anyways, post-op…)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Really???? I’ll have to look into those!! My local Truck n’ Stuff shop here, offers a levelling kit, but you have to get an alignment after - it all works out to a little over $1000. I feel like the schools would be a better investment for ride quality and adjustability? (Assuming I’d need an alignment anyways, post-op…)
yes, align it after. The amount of stuff you have to take apart to replace the front shocks would definitely knock something out of true.

I still need to align mine.. waiting until I get new tires

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, align it after. The amount of stuff you have to take apart to replace the front shocks would definitely knock something out of true.

I still need to align mine.. waiting until I get new tires
Fair enough; it seems a little daunting, to look at suspension upgrades, and then not have to be riding around on pizza cutter OEM’s for too long.

I have a short list of rims I’d like to source. My truck never goes off-road. It’s a clean “boss’” truck at work… So, I like it to make a clean impression when I roll up.

Everything. Is. Just. So. Expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Stock tire size is hardly pizza cutter. 10" wide ?

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,733 Posts
Front suspension work on F150 is more labor intensive due to the coil over shock arrangement. Need to pop either upper (most common) or the lower (less common) ball joint to remove the coil over then a spring compressor to dis/re-assemble the unit for installation. Some shock shops offer fully assembled coil overs ready to go in, but the extra cost of the unit often wipes out and labor savings. Lift spacer/pucks are used and wheel spacers also seem popular, I just prefer to use adjustable coil overs and proper wheels with the offset desired.
I have always been interested in good handling, and budgeted for most of my modification in the suspension I use. I figure it is the best place to invest as the driving experience is felt all the time vs power mods infrequently. The back end is simple leaf with staggered dampers the anyone can change with a few tools and an afternoon (most of the time spent with a brew admiring the work). I do recommend good aftermarket shocks under most all conditions the OEM just do not cut my standards. OEM wheels come in 17/18/20/21/22 inch diameters with offsets of 44mm to 34mm, F150 Wheel Size all interchange over the OEM brake disk/calipers. Offsets available range from OEM 44mm to ridiculous -44mm that look like roller skates on a truck. Tire size I'll leave to other as my interest are in traction, clearance, and weight (I have a very light truck and wanted light tires).

My setup is on a RCSB 2017 XL 2.7 2wd, 3.73 ELocker gear, 1 3/4 inch front level, Icon 2.5 coilovers in front Icon 2.5 in rear. Wheels 17x8 inch 0 offset, tires 275-70-17 32 inch tall LT-C rated, 3 peak Nokian Rotivas.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Tire

This will get me down logging roads and WI winters well, and handles excellent for a full size truck. KM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Front suspension work on F150 is more labor intensive due to the coil over shock arrangement. Need to pop either upper (most common) or the lower (less common) ball joint to remove the coil over then a spring compressor to dis/re-assemble the unit for installation. Some shock shops offer fully assembled coil overs ready to go in, but the extra cost of the unit often wipes out and labor savings. Lift spacer/pucks are used and wheel spacers also seem popular, I just prefer to use adjustable coil overs and proper wheels with the offset desired.
I have always been interested in good handling, and budgeted for most of my modification in the suspension I use. I figure it is the best place to invest as the driving experience is felt all the time vs power mods infrequently. The back end is simple leaf with staggered dampers the anyone can change with a few tools and an afternoon (most of the time spent with a brew admiring the work). I do recommend good aftermarket shocks under most all conditions the OEM just do not cut my standards. OEM wheels come in 17/18/20/21/22 inch diameters with offsets of 44mm to 34mm, F150 Wheel Size all interchange over the OEM brake disk/calipers. Offsets available range from OEM 44mm to ridiculous -44mm that look like roller skates on a truck. Tire size I'll leave to other as my interest are in traction, clearance, and weight (I have a very light truck and wanted light tires).

My setup is on a RCSB 2017 XL 2.7 2wd, 3.73 ELocker gear, 1 3/4 inch front level, Icon 2.5 coilovers in front Icon 2.5 in rear. Wheels 17x8 inch 0 offset, tires 275-70-17 32 inch tall LT-C rated, 3 peak Nokian Rotivas.
View attachment 180847
View attachment 180848

This will get me down logging roads and WI winters well, and handles excellent for a full size truck. KM
That is one lean clean setup!! Most of the tire sizes and offsets are over my head. I’ve been using Pinterest to spy rims and tires with a bit of “poke” to see what I like.

Those little OEM fender liners are also a nice detail, but, again, also maybe more cost than they’re worth. I digress..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is one lean clean setup!! Most of the tire sizes and offsets are over my head. I’ve been using Pinterest to spy rims and tires with a bit of “poke” to see what I like.

Those little OEM fender liners are also a nice detail, but, again, also maybe more cost than they’re worth. I digress..
Also, my last build was a 500hp Subaru, Coil-overs were a necessity. But an STi is way different than an F-150.

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,733 Posts
Thanks Mike,
The little OEM flares are dealership take offs and about $100 off Ebay. KM

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I mean, compared to what’s out there? And what would look nicer on the truck with a bit of stance!?
IDK. You want the tires sticking way out past the fenders ? Is that what you call bit of stance ? Got plenty of gas money ?

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,036 Posts
I admit that oem tires aren't the best look.
That's true for even my sports cars.

And I love the look of a leveled truck with some tires that fill in the gap nicely. (34-35" is a esthetically appealing to my eyes)

But there's no arguing that there's a fuel efficiency hit and driveline power-sap for doing so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I admit that oem tires aren't the best look.
That's true for even my sports cars.

And I love the look of a leveled truck with some tires that fill in the gap nicely. (34-35" is a esthetically appealing to my eyes)

But there's no arguing that there's a fuel efficiency hit and driveline power-sap for doing so.
Noooooo…. I don’t want to drain my bank account, that’s already leaking like a sieve as it is. As far as the “poke” goes.. Just an inch or so.
I don’t want to decimate the paint! Nor do I want it to look like one of those local bro-dozers.

They’re cool on their own - just not the look I want to work with.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,036 Posts
I live smack in the heart of what ALL can and will be done to a truck. 🤣
Even in my small town there's not much you could do that would draw a second glance.

I love the culture that loves their trucks.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
My 275/70-18 stick out about an inch past the top center fender. OE size is 32" tall 11" wide. Mine are 33" tall 11" wide.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts