F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, as the title says, I am putting the cart before the horse...I just ordered a set of firestone bags for my on order EB ('13 FX4 SCREW). I just find it funny, that I am so excited for it to get here, I cant stop myself! Any other add on's that make towing that much easier? I guess I should add that I have the Back up camera and the Max tow package.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Get the proper hitch set up you enjoy. This truck needs very little, to nothing added to make it more than capable of towing whatever you need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
^ This.

With a correctly setup hitch, set tire pressures and carefully distributed load on/in the trailer you'll tow a 'stock' truck to it's stated capacity with very few problems - and without incurring additional unnecessary expense, or jeopardizing the unladen ride quality

·
Registered
860 Posts
When do you expect to get your truck? I've been considering those same airbags so let me know how you like them!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do STdan. Its gona be a few months, Mid September.

Wldor its not to increase the load limit, or push it to the max. I realize the benefit of having a balanced trailer and good hitch. I will be pulling off prepared surfaces, having some additional suspension will be of great use. I would be interested in how you believe the ride quality will decrease with this modification.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I don't think it was a matter of decreasing ride quality. There's no denying you're "altering" the ride of your vehicle. Whether it causes a increase or decrease would be minimal. Airbags are a good source of decreasing sag while towing while still maintaining a smooth ride.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome Andrew!

Towing will be a breeze with this truck! I bought my EcoBeast for the sole purpose of towing my roughly 9k 36 foot travel trailer. I am currently in the middle of a 1200 mile tow and could not be happier with this trucks capabilities. I am stock with the exception of an aftermarket backup camera. A few times I have thought about airbags but so far I haven't needed them. I will be very interested to see how you like them, as down the road I may still consider them.

SPPD

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am surprised you are considering airbags... The ride quality is amazing, in my opinion. I had a Lexus IS before my Eco and hands down the ride is much better in the ECO. My wife has a Tacoma and every single time we take her truck somewhere I always give her a hard time about ride quality.

Is there another reason you would go with airbags besides looks and ride quality?

·
Registered
35 Posts
No offense intended - in fact like others, i'm intrigued to hear how it rides with airbags installed (and specifically, without a load).

That said, anything that is added between your truck's body and standard suspension *is* going to affect the ride quality. It may be for the better, but likely not (judging by mixed reviews to different suspension add-ons on other F150 forums)

Like SPPD, I tow a 36' 9-9500lb RV, and also a 21' (very pin-heavy) enclosed toy trailer (not at the same time!).

The box trailer was recently used to help us move house, and I know my last run on actual moving day was over capacity (my buddy that helped me unload and I reckoned it must have been close to 14k lbs on the back of my 3.73 max tow FX4)... Sure, the truck sagged even with a good WDH, but it was still very drivable, and still wasn't riding/smacking the bumpstops for the whole 160+km journey to the new place (I'm sure I have a pic of the truck & trailer with this load somewhere - I'll have to try and dig it out...!).

Long and short? I personally feel that the truck tows/handles so well in stock setup that $300+ on airbags is an unjustifiable and unnecessary expense. To me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wldor, I am more looking to keep the wear and tear down when I am towing off road. I think they will help for that. I understand the importance of a WDH, and plan to get one of those as well. Ill let ya guys know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have them on my truck and loaded rides well but running empty I tried anywhere from 5lbs to 30lbs it just doesn't ride good so I'm going to take just the airbags off not the brackets until I need them of course I only tow every now and then

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
cnrwbaker
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing