F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get more turbo whistle on the exhaust side. I have the afe twintake,spd turbo adapters,res delete and stock muffler. I am seeing people delete the cats but most of the videos are for the 1st gen 3.5 and I have a 2017 2nd gen 3.5. Has anyone done the cat delete and would I get what I'm looking for if I did delete them

·
Registered
5,243 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
It can be done, I just did it with my 3.5 a few months ago. I still have my 02 sensors in by using spark plug defowlers. Lots of turbo noise now

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so I went ahead and deleted my cats. Turbos are so much louder at idle/cruise and I still have the stock muffler so the whistle is pretty much all you hear. When the rpms get up there it sounds like any other exhaust I have seen videos of..

·
Registered
6 Posts
You mind if I ask how you went about doing this? Im thinking about doing it on mine but most forums i read on it dont really explain there process. at least not in detail.

·
Admodistrator
2,431 Posts
You mind if I ask how you went about doing this? Im thinking about doing it on mine but most forums i read on it dont really explain there process. at least not in detail.
I think that some of the turbo noise you here on turbo engines is also related to the intake side of the system. Large, short intake runners make more noise.

Removing the cats is not something I’d recommend to anyone other than an owner of a truck used exclusively off-road. I simply don’t want to mess around with the potential electronic issues, check engine lights etc. I don’t think there is any real performance gain either. I know there are a lot of people out there that have had success with the O2 foolers and that’s great. Not everyone that tries this however is successful and most tuners won’t remove that trouble code when they tune.

That said, If I were going to do it I’d probably opt for a whole catless down pipe, a nice stainless one that won’t rust away on you. If for no other reason than if somewhere down the road I changed my mind I’d have the OE one that could go back on. I’m not 100% on this but I’m under the impression that you get a pipe with a larger diameter along with it and you might pick up a few ponies. Your turbo adaptors have you already prepped for that benefit as well.

What can I say? I must be getting old.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there anyone who has deleted cats and left the resonater and muffler on? I cant stand the sound of these trucks with aftermarket exhaust, think it actually triggers my gag reflex a bit, but a little whistle would be cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts