F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 f150 Xtr tow max its tuned, has cat back exhaust, cai, occ and intercooler upgrade. Upgrades have been done for about 4 months now and no issues and i absolutely love it but over the last week maybe two ive noticed a loss of power almost like its holding back. So i took a look under neath and find that my cats have been getting really hot( the pipes on the exhaust side are veryyyyy goldish color. Im not really in the position to drop another $1200 on down pipes right now so i would like some input on my options.
1. Remove exhaust when its off cut out the cats completly and replace with pipe. Anyone tried this if so any specs on pipe sizing flaring etc.
2 Doing it old school and cutting out little windows, bashing the hell out of the gutts and welding it shut.
3 removing cats and beating the hellout of the inside and push it out the pipe and putting it back together.

From what ive seen in the past is that some people sleeve then inside to make it look like its catted but for me I wont need a safety so i could care less what it looks like. there also the sensors so im guessing i can just email my tuner and get him to turn them off and retune for straight pipes?

PS the truck has over 200000kms so it wasnt really a huge surprise they were bad after everything ive put this truck through!

Thanks!

·
Registered
925 Posts
http://www.makperformance.com/ecoboost.html#

If you are looking for downpipes on a budget. I’ve ran these for 70,000 miles now with no issues. It’s not Full Race quality, but it gets the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply! that is cheap the problem for me is that I am in canada so 399 plus shipping and duty fees and exchange Im looking at $800... I am a welder by trade, havent welded in years but I figured it would be a nice little project cost and cost would be no more then $40

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Cats are supposed to get hot in order to do their job. Going catless is gonna give an awful smell, and if you get pulled over by the MTO, it'll be costly.
I suggest you get yourself some live data scantool, or Torque Pro app to see what the temps are on your cats.
By chance, have you checked your spark plugs for proper gap, or fouling?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did see a thread from about a year ago showing he cut out the cats and put straight piping in and it looked good! I would like to try if i had the measurements and if there was any slight bending at all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the plugs about 2 months ago but havent checked them sense. I have an sct itsx ill have to check the temps in the am. Ive been in ontario for 3 years now and havent even seen them once. My luck now that ive said that ill get hauled over tomorrow lol. That being said the cops really dont like my 54 inch light bar and fogs.... no ticket but one pissed off piggy lol I have herd that going catless downpipes with a custom tune will give descent gains so i figure if i can get a little gain for a little work then hey why not!

Things i have been noticing lately are reduced power kind of heavy pedal. No miss or rough Idle but i have noticed more heat radiating off the truck when i lift the hood you can feel the difference. Behind the cats the pipes are turned goldish clay color about 6-8 inches back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts