F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the F150's owned by our company is a 2011 F150 Crew Cab V6 Turbocharged Eco Boost. Two weeks ago, while traveling down Rt. 219 near Boswell, PA, the engine threw a rod through the block. The truck has never been used for hauling or towing but for ferrying customers around the area. The vehicle has 75,000 miles on it and we have all of the oil change and maintenance records for the truck. Has anyone else had this issue? Ford is saying that it is our fault and that we should have had all of the oil changes done at the dealer. Ford is quoting us about $9500 to replace the engine and they offer absolutely no assistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do and we've presented them with the printouts. We've taken the issue to the Ford Regional Rep and to the National Office and have received the same reply. Sorry, but we won't accept any responsibility and we will offer no assistance.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Yes, rod through the block has been a failure seen here before.

Sherman is dead on about the warranty issue. Telling you they cannot honor because the dealer didn't do oil changes is BS. If it's commercial use, that may be a different story.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Who's The "Ford" that told you you should have had all your oil changes done by a Ford dealership? If a requirement to have oil changes done by a Manufacturers dealership is a condition of the warranty it is my understanding that the manufacturer must provide them free of charge. I think you got a rather CS response from your dealer. Is he inferring that if the dealership had done the oil changes the rod wouldn't have broke or that he would be more supportive of your cause? Here is the dealership's chance to do their best to earn a customer's loyalty by doing all they could to help in an unfortunate situation and they tell the person tough, your on your own. Oh but we would be happy to sell you a new motor or a new vehicle, really!

I understand and that their have to be limits set on a manufacturers liability for product durability but they also can stretch things to garner good customer relations and a little help from your dealer on your behalf would have gone a long way to make Ford corporate be a little more sympathetic.

One possibly more economic option would be to look for a salvaged motor and another shop to install it or just sell it as is. You'll half to do the math but no sense in putting more money into the truck than it's worth.

Reactions: iaflatlander

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
One of the F150's owned by our company is a 2011 F150 Crew Cab V6 Turbocharged Eco Boost. Two weeks ago, while traveling down Rt. 219 near Boswell, PA, the engine threw a rod through the block. The truck has never been used for hauling or towing but for ferrying customers around the area. The vehicle has 75,000 miles on it and we have all of the oil change and maintenance records for the truck. Has anyone else had this issue? Ford is saying that it is our fault and that we should have had all of the oil changes done at the dealer. Ford is quoting us about $9500 to replace the engine and they offer absolutely no assistance.
What's the small claims monetary jurisdiction in your neck of the woods? If that happened here, the limit's $25,000; I'd file a small claims action for breach of contract (that assumes of course that there is no contractual out for Ford owing to the way the truck was used). They'd almost certainly cave.

I am interested in this because I change my own oil and I would absolutely go ballistic if Ford tried to deny any claim based on my failure to have that done at the stealership.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Isn't the warranty up at 60k miles anyways? Either way a motor shouldn't just through a rod at 75k miles.
Also only 3 years max, unless you have an Extended Warranty.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I feel for you, but I don't understand what your real complaint is. You are 2 years and 15K out of warranty. I don't see how any manufacturer would be responsible for this failure, unless it was caused by a proven manufacturing defect or something that has been recalled. I do think you should file a report with the NHSTA. Maybe, you would have some future recourse if something is recalled in the future.

Edit: I am not implying that your dealer gave you a good/thorough answer. Your powertrain warranty is likely at/or near the 5 year limit, so it is really only the mileage that is way over the limitation.

Reactions: Red whoosh

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Isn't the warranty up at 60k miles anyways? Either way a motor shouldn't just through a rod at 75k miles.
Ah - you are right. Powertrain warranty in the USA is 5y / 60K miles.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Miner. I'd like to look into this and see what options are available to assist. If you have your case number, send that over in a PM. If not, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll start researching.

Crystal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.