F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is BY FAR the best explanation of why using a catch can is a good idea. Please watch the whole video.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have this can on my F-150...literally this one. It was cool to watch the filming process and the install. Brian at BSG Auto did a fantastic job on the install and he did a cleaner install than the manufacturer recommends. If you have an ecoboost, or any Ford for that matter, you should follow this guy on Youtube and Facebook. He has an overwhelming amount of knowledge and will answer any questions you submit to him. he is a great guy. I only have about 2k on the can and I drained it at 1k because someone else on here said that is what he has to drain it at, but the amount I got out was maybe 2-3 oz. Check Brian's channel out in a few months as I will be sending him an update video of the draining process and the crap that comes out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed this can and it collect 2-3 oz about every month or two. Mild throttle and really short distances 4 Days a week. Gonna start tracking the amounts and time between draining now that it’s been on for a while. The stuff that drains is nasty milky oil crud!! It definitely collects a bunch of nastiness that would be going back into the engine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed this can and it collect 2-3 oz about every month or two. Mild throttle and really short distances 4 Days a week. Gonna start tracking the amounts and time between draining now that it’s been on for a while. The stuff that drains is nasty milky oil crud!! It definitely collects a bunch of nastiness that would be going back into the engine!!

Here is pics of draining the can just now!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a catch can, installed the catch can, I have gotten zero sludge from the catch can!
I did get a new engine put in about 7k miles ago. I don't know if this is something that will happen over time but after 7K miles I have gotten no sludge.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
9,503 Posts
I got a catch can, installed the catch can, I have gotten zero sludge from the catch can!
I did get a new engine put in about 7k miles ago. I don't know if this is something that will happen over time but after 7K miles I have gotten no sludge.

Any thoughts?
Some just don't. There are those here who will tell you theirs produces a lot of crud so yours should too. But there have been enough guys catch very little with a can that was known to be installed properly, and of good quality, for me to say with reasonable certainty that some just don't produce much to catch.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,736 Posts
Exactly as Mitchell stated. Also depends on climate as well as driving distances.

If you live in a humid area of the country and drive lots of short 5-10 minute trips, you *should* catch a lot more crud than someone who lives in a dry area and drives >20 minutes each trip.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am not upset about it. I know my old engine produced that crap. When i installed a charge pipe it poured out everywhere.
I am just glad I am not the only one. I bought it I am gonna leave it on because I know it is a good product it was the super simple set up from Stage 3
I live in Dallas and my daily is about 25 min.

·
Registered
971 Posts
So has anyone figured out why some trucks have a lot of blowby and others do not? Is this simply differences in the piston ring seals? Or is it a sign of premature wear on some trucks?

I think most agree that short trips in cold or humid climates produces the most amount of junk in the CC.

·
Vendor
438 Posts
Just wanted to share this installation video with everyone on an installation of the BRAND NEW

UPR 17-19 F150 Ecoboost Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Catch Can with ECSS™ - Electronic Clean Side Separator

This has been developed to eliminate the CEL=Check Engine Light and give you the best protection at the exit and entrance of the PCV system.

Enjoy the Video and we're now offering this kit for all 2015-2019 F150's and we have the Patent Pending UPR ECSS available as a separate option
for all the 2015-2019 F150 trucks as well.

The ECSS is a brand new option for the F150 Ecoboost Trucks and SUV's.

I added this here to share the UPR Plug n Play Catch Can as an OEM or better option that protects the clean side and the dirty side. This
design has a Utility patent-pending to protect the function of the ECSS as maintains the correct airflow and eliminates pressure the drops
that cause the Variable Pressure Sensor voltage to go out of range and trip the CEL - Check Engine Light.

The Ecoboost Engine always have to protect both the clean side and the dirty side of the PCV system.

Keeping it simple for the Clean and Dirty side of the PCV.

1.) The UPR Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Catch Can Function
This can gets mounted in the engine bay and is routed between the PCV valve and the intake manifold vacuum and is the main point of entry for oil
ingestion into the Ecoboost intake manifold, runners and combustion chambers. We keep it in a location where it will stay hot so it will reduce the
amount of condensation that gets collected reducing the need to drain it more frequently.

2.) The UPR Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Cath Can WOT Function - (WOT) = Wide Open Throttle
This is the second vacuum source that comes off the UPR Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Catch Can. The main function of this line is to eliminate BOOST
pressure from entering your crankcase and pressurizing it at WOT. The WOT function comes into play when you go into any BOOST and your primary
check valve on the clean line from the catch can that connects to the vacuum from the intake manifold has positive pressure. When BOOST activates
the primary check valve to close the PCV no longer has anywhere to get vacuum from or release the positive pressure from the BOOST/Blow-by.

The WOT line now goes into full effect by providing a secondary vacuum source to the PCV system. This is why we call it a UPR (DUAL Valve) Catch
Can. By providing this additional vacuum source we effectively reroute the PCV flow into the suction side of the intake tube before the turbo where no
BOOST is and it only has vacuum drawing from the intake side of the turbo.

3.) The UPR Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Cath Can ECSS Function - (ECSS) = Electronic Clean Side Separator
The ECSS is for the intake/clean side of the PCV system where the fresh air is drawn into the PCV system from the driver side turbo air intake tube
before the turbo. This is the problem side that can trip the CEL when modified if the sensor does not see the correct airflow it will go out of range
and light up the CEL on your dash. The ECSS is Brand New system and developed exclusively by UPR to protect the clean side from spitting oil into
the intake tube before the turbo when in boost or towing. This is a very common problem with the ecoboost and no other catch can have been able
to address this problem correctly.

The ECSS has a multi-stage internal design that controls oil ingestion and maintains the proper pressure at the VPS sensor effectively eliminating the
CEL. We have worked long and hard on this system and tuned the internal design and flow path of the ECSS to function in the same range with the
VPS sensor and keep that unsightly CEL off. We are in the process of releasing this to work with any catch can system as a stand-alone ECSS system.

I hope this helps with the PCV function and understanding how to properly protect the Ecoboost PCV System from Oil Ingestion at BOTH sides of the PCV.

Thank you, Joe

·
Administrator
9,503 Posts
That's very cool. I have the can with the separate clean side can, and it does a pretty good job avoiding the cel. I gutted the pcv valve and after that get a code now and then that I just clear.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Vendor
438 Posts
Wanted to share exactly what the New UPR ECSS looks like and be sure you have the correct numbers for the UPR ECSS Kits.

The UPR ECSS is the full Plug n Play™ Catch Can System and it provides the very best protection across the board and is designed
to work seamlessly with the OEM sensors - Factory electronics. No tuning or programming required at all. This has been our biggest
breakthrough with the Ecoboost platform and has become an integral part of all New UPR Ecoboost Catch Can Systems.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1000x1000.

These Brand New System has two Utility patents pending.

UPR only uses OEM or better components throughout all our UPR Plug n Play™ Catch Can Systems for the Ecoboost Platform.

2015 and newer truck Kit part numbers are listed below to make it easier when ordering.

2015-2016 3.5 F150 = 5030-124-1-ECSS

2015-2016 3.5 F150 = 5030-124-1-ECSS

2017-2017 3.5 F150 = 5030-221-1-ECSS

2018-2019 3.5 F150 = 5030-238-1-ECSS

2015-2017 2.7 F150 = 5030-239-1-ECSS

2018-2019 2.7 F150 = 5030-166-1-ECSS

Thank you, Joe

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Just wanted to share this installation video with everyone on an installation of the BRAND NEW

UPR 17-19 F150 Ecoboost Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Catch Can with ECSS™ - Electronic Clean Side Separator

This has been developed to eliminate the CEL=Check Engine Light and give you the best protection at the exit and entrance of the PCV system.

Enjoy the Video and we're now offering this kit for all 2015-2019 F150's and we have the Patent Pending UPR ECSS available as a separate option
for all the 2015-2019 F150 trucks as well.

The ECSS is a brand new option for the F150 Ecoboost Trucks and SUV's.

I added this here to share the UPR Plug n Play Catch Can as an OEM or better option that protects the clean side and the dirty side. This
design has a Utility patent-pending to protect the function of the ECSS as maintains the correct airflow and eliminates pressure the drops
that cause the Variable Pressure Sensor voltage to go out of range and trip the CEL - Check Engine Light.

The Ecoboost Engine always have to protect both the clean side and the dirty side of the PCV system.

Keeping it simple for the Clean and Dirty side of the PCV.

1.) The UPR Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Catch Can Function
This can gets mounted in the engine bay and is routed between the PCV valve and the intake manifold vacuum and is the main point of entry for oil
ingestion into the Ecoboost intake manifold, runners and combustion chambers. We keep it in a location where it will stay hot so it will reduce the
amount of condensation that gets collected reducing the need to drain it more frequently.

2.) The UPR Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Cath Can WOT Function - (WOT) = Wide Open Throttle
This is the second vacuum source that comes off the UPR Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Catch Can. The main function of this line is to eliminate BOOST
pressure from entering your crankcase and pressurizing it at WOT. The WOT function comes into play when you go into any BOOST and your primary
check valve on the clean line from the catch can that connects to the vacuum from the intake manifold has positive pressure. When BOOST activates
the primary check valve to close the PCV no longer has anywhere to get vacuum from or release the positive pressure from the BOOST/Blow-by.

The WOT line now goes into full effect by providing a secondary vacuum source to the PCV system. This is why we call it a UPR (DUAL Valve) Catch
Can. By providing this additional vacuum source we effectively reroute the PCV flow into the suction side of the intake tube before the turbo where no
BOOST is and it only has vacuum drawing from the intake side of the turbo.

3.) The UPR Plug n Play™ Dual Valve Cath Can ECSS Function - (ECSS) = Electronic Clean Side Separator
The ECSS is for the intake/clean side of the PCV system where the fresh air is drawn into the PCV system from the driver side turbo air intake tube
before the turbo. This is the problem side that can trip the CEL when modified if the sensor does not see the correct airflow it will go out of range
and light up the CEL on your dash. The ECSS is Brand New system and developed exclusively by UPR to protect the clean side from spitting oil into
the intake tube before the turbo when in boost or towing. This is a very common problem with the ecoboost and no other catch can have been able
to address this problem correctly.

The ECSS has a multi-stage internal design that controls oil ingestion and maintains the proper pressure at the VPS sensor effectively eliminating the
CEL. We have worked long and hard on this system and tuned the internal design and flow path of the ECSS to function in the same range with the
VPS sensor and keep that unsightly CEL off. We are in the process of releasing this to work with any catch can system as a stand-alone ECSS system.

I hope this helps with the PCV function and understanding how to properly protect the Ecoboost PCV System from Oil Ingestion at BOTH sides of the PCV.

Thank you, Joe
Joe, I'm trying to find the part number for the Quick connect fitting you put in the intake tube around the 9 minute mark of the video. Can you help me out?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
438 Posts
UPR Plug n Play™ WOT installation kit / We sell that for $24.99

It includes the following:

1pc. UPR Rubber Grommet
1pc. UPR Plug n Play™ Aluminum Fitting
1pc. UPR Plug n Play™ Push Button Fitting

15-19 F150 WOT PnP Kit.jpg

Just for your info.

Joe

·
Vendor
438 Posts
Wanted to share how easy it is to access the UPR Drain Valve for emptying.

Here is a photo I just took on my 18 3.5 F150 so you can
see how easy you can get to the UPR Catch Can to drain
it from the front driver fender well.

The inner fender well can just be lifted very easily for you
to reach the drain valve with the front wheel turned all the
way left.

Thank you, Joe

·
Vendor
438 Posts
UPR NEWS FLASH

UPR Oil Catch Can Drain Line Kit for ALL Catch Can Systems with a 1/4 Inch Drain.

Part Number: H5032-49

Designed to work with all Catch Cans with a 1/4 Inch Drain Plug Hole.
We've included both a 90 deg and 180 deg fitting to be able to work
with the tightest mounting locations that require a quick bend out of
the catch can due to limited mounting space and a straight fitting to
be able to drop it straight down.

Our kit only allows you to remote mount the drain valve and be able
to empty your catch can on the fly without going under the hood or
having to remove anything. Simply slide a bucket or drain pan under
your car and open the drain valve and your all set.

No cheap rubber hoses or generic hose clamps in this kit only UPR
Nickel Fittings, UPR Chrome Drain Valve, UPR Braided Hose, with UPR
Billet Hose Ends for a perfect no-slip fit that will last a lifetime.

UPR Oil Catch Can Drain Line Kit

This Catch Can Drain Line Kit includes:

* 2pc UPR Billet Hose End Covers
* 1pc 1/4 Turn Drain Valve with 14mm Barbed End
* 1pc 90 Degree 14mm Barb x 1/4" Catch Can Fitting
* 1pc 180 Degree14mm Barb x 1/4" Catch Can Fitting
* 1pc 48" 1/2" UPR Braided Hose - 300psi Oil Resistant

Have a great weekend, Joe

Mustang Parts & Performance - UPR Products

·
Registered
83 Posts
I cant seem to find the listed part number for the 2019's.. Is this part of the 2030-221 kit that you pm'd me about or is this a different kit or add on? Want to be sure I get the right one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
D0ncH
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing