F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
In the winter I'd have to empty mine every half tank of gas.. It would spew about 16oz of crud... In the warmer weather I get about 4oz after one tank of gas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

5000 miles.

Yes.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
These arnt like LS motors or similar where they get like half an ounce per oil change. They definitely move a lot of crap.

Definitely pay attention if you live in a colder climate. It will fill very fast in the winter. I used to drive from Salt Lake City to Denver occasionally and I would empty it on either end of the trip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can someone explain why so many people keep the contents of their catch can? I just don't get it.

I dump mine in an old gas can with used oil and it gets recycled with my oil every few months.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Can someone explain why so many people keep the contents of their catch can? I just don't get it.

I dump mine in an old gas can with used oil and it gets recycled with my oil every few months.

They are probably a bunch of weirdos if you ask me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't live in the cold but it's almost over 90% humidity here in Florida. And yes, I'm wierd.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
I don't live in the cold but it's almost over 90% humidity here in Florida. And yes, I'm wierd.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ummmm. I'm pretty sure we weren't referring to you. But thanks for being a good sport about it. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
With the new port/direct injection, is a catch can really necessary? With straight direct injection I can see it but why on an engine that has the ability to keep the intake valves clean? Personal preference/experience? Curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
With the new port/direct injection, is a catch can really necessary? With straight direct injection I can see it but why on an engine that has the ability to keep the intake valves clean? Personal preference/experience? Curious.

Although a catch can DOES help the valves stay cleaner, it's main point it to capture blow by. Boosted engines will always have more blow by, so yes it is. Oil vapor also hurts combustion, so as much of that as you can keep our going back into cylinder, the better.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

Cause I always fill my oil containers to the top and there is no room for catch can contents. The contents will go with the oil to get recycled, but I barely drive these days(wife and I both work from home.) We drive MAYBE 10 miles per day, so I produce very little waste oil.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Watery stuff after it separates makes a good weed killer. Just saying

·
Registered
66 Posts
Although a catch can DOES help the valves stay cleaner, it's main point it to capture blow by. Boosted engines will always have more blow by, so yes it is. Oil vapor also hurts combustion, so as much of that as you can keep our going back into cylinder, the better.
I would think in 2019, 50 years since the recirculating of crankcase oil and 40 years of EGR science, and now, back to port injection, the burning of oil and carbon in the combustion chamber, engineers have this issue contained. I’m all for choice lol. I’d just be emptying it every time I stopped. If it was a serious problem engineering and R&D would solve it. Ford, Gm etc don’t need us coming back for large dollar fixes like the VW gdi system.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I would think in 2019, 50 years since the recirculating of crankcase oil and 40 years of EGR science, and now, back to port injection, the burning of oil and carbon in the combustion chamber, engineers have this issue contained. I’m all for choice lol. I’d just be emptying it every time I stopped. If it was a serious problem engineering and R&D would solve it. Ford, Gm etc don’t need us coming back for large dollar fixes like the VW gdi system.

Why did you ask the question and then argue against the answer?

ecoboost does not have an egr, it using the VCT.

PCV recirculating is for emissions only. It is not ideal for combustion. Again, boosted engines have a lot more blow by. A manufacturer will never have a catch can for many reasons. I think BMW has some type of catch can on their v8 twin turbo, that is all i know of. Also BMW owners mostly lease, have work done at BMW and BMW is pretty stringent on service.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hahaha. devils advocate man. I wasn’t arguing. I would call it discussing. Won’t know if I don’t ask. If EGR is accomplished through VCT is it not a different answer to the same problem? Like I said, ford installing an injector in the intake port, solves a large amount of the issue with build up on the back of the valves. This is my first Ford man! I gotta ask.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

It’s a matter of...I put this on my truck and look how much stuff it collects. I feel so much better my engine didn’t have to burn this. Well that’s what it would be for me if I had one anyways.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts