F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 13 in for its first oil change today. I have been getting my oil changed at the same place for years but this is the first they've seen my truck. Upon receiving my invoice I noticed they used 5w-20 instead of the 5-30 it's supposed to take.

Now owning turbo cars in the past I have changed viscosity for different conditions (I.e. Thicker oil in summer so it doesn't break down as easily with the added heat)

My question is, is 5w-20 gonna hurt it or should I raise holy hell? If it will be fine I'll just make a note to tell them to make sure and use 5w-30 next time.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Probably will be okay with the cooler weather this time of year, but you should still raise a stink. I would imagine you could at least get your next change free. These turbos run extremely hot and the motor oil is used to cool and lubricate them. 5w20 is a very thin oil. It poors like water so I can imagine it gets awfully thin running through 1k°+ turbos.

My 2cents,

SPPD

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably will be okay with the cooler weather this time of year, but you should still raise a stink. I would imagine you could at least get your next change free. These turbos run extremely hot and the motor oil is used to cool and lubricate them. 5w20 is a very thin oil. It poors like water so I can imagine it gets awfully thin running through 1k°+ turbos. My 2cents, SPPD
This is what I was thinking too. I'm gonna raise a fuss about it but I'm thinking it should be okay for at least 3k miles especially in the lower temperatures.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Just take it back they fucked up.

Reactions: strongarm18

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If I remember correctly the 3.5 is the only one truck motor aside from a diesel that doesn't use 5-20.
The fact that most all car manufacturers have gone down to a thinner oil to help attain the fuel economy they strive for and this particular motor calls for 5-20 would be cause for alarm.
I'd make them make it right. I agree with winchested.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd take it back and simply state they put the wrong oil in and it should be correct to the manufacturer specification of 5w-30. There's millions of dollars and engineering hours put into any engine. Ford specified the 5w-30 specification for a reason. I would tend not to try and second guess their engineering prowess.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
If you're questioning the viscosity, take it back.. There's many things we can "test the waters" on but I don't believe oil should be one.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
If you're questioning the viscosity, take it back.. There's many things we can "test the waters" on but I don't believe oil should be one.
I agree.
Also, a little bit of due diligence goes a long way.
Asking questions like, what oil do you plan to use, or have you done one of these before can set things in the right direction, up front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts