F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hmm. Good point. But i think that the system was designed for stock boost levels... if you increase boost and the vacuum you're talking about can't compensate... you'll have pressure build up. But i may be completely wrong.. I'm hoping one of the tuners/experts chimes in.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Hmm. Good point. But i think that the system was designed for stock boost levels... if you increase boost and the vacuum you're talking about can't compensate... you'll have pressure build up. But i may be completely wrong.. I'm hoping one of the tuners/experts chimes in.
Good line of thinking, but I am just going to throw in a thought in that. The line going into pre turbo is like I said under a bit of vacuum, but even at higher boost it is required that the turbos spin faster than stock. Also the source going to the turbo is atmospheric so if the crank creates more pressure than the turbo can suck it will just push the pressure into the turbo and piping before it. Thus venting all crankcase pressure. Like I keep I don't have any direct experience, just my thoughts on it. But one way to see if it does in deed work is to put it on and wait and see if you get any oily vapours around the filter. That would answer the question :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Food for thought here... I was talking to a buddy about crankcase ventilation, catch cans, carbon build up, etc. on direct injected turbo motors and he was saying that his Golf GTI PCV system has some relatively complicated valving that actually keeps slight positive pressure in the crankcase at all times to help reduce blow by gases!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Food for thought here... I was talking to a buddy about crankcase ventilation, catch cans, carbon build up, etc. on direct injected turbo motors and he was saying that his Golf GTI PCV system has some relatively complicated valving that actually keeps slight positive pressure in the crankcase at all times to help reduce blow by gases!
Did some quick digging, and I don't see that coming up in my searches...
Overly complicated, yes.
Prone to failure, yes.
Positive pressure, no.

Reactions: Vozaday

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is it possible to use one of these when running a UPR dual valve catch can? Very new to turbos

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Is it possible to use one of these when running a UPR dual valve catch can? Very new to turbos
That's all I'm trying to say, is that I don't see the point.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That's all I'm trying to say, is that I don't see the point.
my brain hurts again. I'm thinking with the check valve vent. You would probably have a true vacuum system, in no boost situations. from other reading I have done this would be similar to having a vacuum pump on a sealed system. Sounds good to me. Then under boost you are simply venting to the atmosphere, instead of venting to your driver turbo and intercooler. I forgot to mention everything I'm saying is based on deleting the driver side PCV hose. Yes its illegal, but so is crossing the street not in the crosswalk, Tunes, aftermarket downpipes, high capacity magazines in the state of Maryland, speeding, farting in California,.... you get my point

Reactions: Ecoboost Clark

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yeah, my interest is the complete elimination of these gases in my intake, and that it won't cause any unforeseen negative consequences, and I don't buy into the catch can idea, Its not efficient enough or me

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Ya Steven I understand your point with removing that hose, I was trying to make a point with both the hose intact and removed. I don't see the point of it with the hose intact at all. Without the hose I still think you would be better with a vent without the check valve part. That's all I'm saying.

So yes if you want to remove the hose and run a vent that would work fine. But then why not just drill the hole in the CAC and leave everything stock for the hoses? I personally think it would be a better system that way because the turbo will still pull a vacuum. But like I said this is just my opinion, not saying any of the ideas are wrong, this is my stance. I like these debates because it allows me to see from other peoples angles and adjust my beliefs in doing so. I'm just here to learn like everyone else.

Reactions: stevenmverrill

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
yeah, my interest is the complete elimination of these gases in my intake, and that it won't cause any unforeseen negative consequences, and I don't buy into the catch can idea, Its not efficient enough or me
It won't remove any gasses to your intake, just the gasses to your CAC. You would need to put another vent on the PCV to prevent it from getting into the intake directly. Again that would remove any chance of evacuating contaminants in the oil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did some quick digging, and I don't see that coming up in my searches...
Overly complicated, yes.
Prone to failure, yes.
Positive pressure, no.
Right, so I was talking with him again at lunch yesterday and we actually pulled up the VW service self study manual and you are right, no positive pressure.

It is quite complicated, but in theory seams to be a much better design than the ecoboost.

It would be nice if Ford would publish a manual like that for these motors, it has schematics, cutaways of the different parts of the motor, all kinds of technical explanations of exactly what all the components of the motor are doing and so on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Western Motorsports Racing can - For all you Canadian drivers out there, these guys are local in Calgary, AB and their catch can kit is serious! so far im loving it, just the clean side separator sucks for draining (has a allen key plug in it, should throw a ball valve on it, easier to drain then unscrewing the whole housing from itself, or removing the drain plug). Thing looks awesome through my grille

·
Registered
101 Posts
oh and no drilling, you keep the oem engine cover, and you keep the oem oil fill cap - going back to OEM is a sinch in case you have a warranty issue and want to pull the unit off because they usually try to blame the aftermarket part (except my buddys kit had a faulty check valve that he didnt check before installing, blew out the valve cover seal and made a mess lol - although also sounded like his PCV had failed)

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
182 Posts
oh and no drilling, you keep the oem engine cover, and you keep the oem oil fill cap - going back to OEM is a sinch in case you have a warranty issue and want to pull the unit off because they usually try to blame the aftermarket part (except my buddys kit had a faulty check valve that he didnt check before installing, blew out the valve cover seal and made a mess lol - although also sounded like his PCV had failed)
Nice I posted in another thread telling everyone about this kit too, I’ve got it on my truck, works great and for is a better price than the UPR or RX. Quality is great too.

regarding this thread, would this breather be beneficial if already running a catch can or would that kind of make it redundant?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would assume the path of least resistance would be the breather so the catch can may not see as much flow as without the breather

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I’ve ran this version and UPRs version. Very high quality from both companies. But for some reason my 2011 and 18 raptor did not run right with either.

Especially when in boost all power just fell to the floor. Which leads me to believe that the problem is vacuum on the crankcase is removed when In boost because it’s now “venting.” The stock setup already vented and had no trouble to do so. It more so seems when in boost it puts the crankcase the same as atmospheric.

Believe me it’s a very good idea but I don’t believe our crankcase are under any if not much pressure at all. Since the driver side is wide open running to the turbo.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I’ve ran this version and UPRs version. Very high quality from both companies. But for some reason my 2011 and 18 raptor did not run right with either.

Especially when in boost all power just fell to the floor. Which leads me to believe that the problem is vacuum on the crankcase is removed when In boost because it’s now “venting.” The stock setup already vented and had no trouble to do so. It more so seems when in boost it puts the crankcase the same as atmospheric.

Believe me it’s a very good idea but I don’t believe our crankcase are under any if not much pressure at all. Since the driver side is wide open running to the turbo.
You would think people with cold side separators would have the same issue. Basically just vents the oil cap to the filter box.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
But I imagine having it connected to the air filter box, it still has some vacuum right? Especially in boost?

Compared to the breather being a check valve and basically making the crankcase atmospheric when “venting”?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I run the RXP catch can in the stock configuration with CSS connected to the airbox. I had a really bad issue of oiling the filter. So much so it seemed to be affecting my fuel trims because the air was basically saturated in vapors. I plugged the hole in the airbox and connected the CSS to a cheapo $30 mini catch can from Amazon with a VTA filter on the intake side. There is no check valve on this side that I know of. I drove about 400 miles with this setup like this and when I checked the air filter, it was nice and clean. More shockingly when I checked the little can, It had about 1/4 cup of liquid in it. Smelled similar to the regular can contents, but more like raw fuel. So what gives? How am I getting condensate on the intake side of the PCV system? It hasn't been terribly cold or a situation where the can would condense a lot from temperature alone. Also the can is inside the engine bay, so it "should" warm up with the motor.

When it's connected to the airbox, I think it's actually being drawn from the motor by the intake. There is a lot more volume of air sucking on that small tube and it pulls that stuff into the air box.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts