F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
The outlet is on the right rear of my oil pan, so I would say lift the front left?

Best bet would be to drain the oil and then drive around with the drain plug removed to make sure you slosh the rest out of all the little crevices.

Just kidding. Dont do that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I guess you could do a complete tear down and reassemble of the engine every 3k miles to make sure you get all the dirty used oil out, but I just unscrew the drain plug for a few minutes then fill it back up and roll.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
You guys are brutal!

I just has a pro change my oil for me about an hour ago. Amsoil Signature 0-40

I watched and he did NOT take my oil pan off. So I've got some old oil contaminating my fresh.

I asked him to let me start it so I could pre-oiler the top-end. He said sure, but what's up?

I let him watch me spin it over while monitoring oil pressure. And as I suspected, it took a long time to see just 1 pound. More than 5 seconds!

Before I could tell him why he guessed himself! Then told me he's done a couple of timing chain /phaser repairs for customers. Said it was the first time anyone did the cold-start procedure.

Hijack over

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,797 Posts
I wonder if I could take one of those wands for cleaning out an RV black tank and shove it through the drain hole on my oil pan and flush it out?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
You guys are brutal!

I just has a pro change my oil for me about an hour ago. Amsoil Signature 0-40

I watched and he did NOT take my oil pan off. So I've got some old oil contaminating my fresh.

I asked him to let me start it so I could pre-oiler the top-end. He said sure, but what's up?

I let him watch me spin it over while monitoring oil pressure. And as I suspected, it took a long time to see just 1 pound. More than 5 seconds!

Before I could tell him why he guessed himself! Then told me he's done a couple of timing chain /phaser repairs for customers. Said it was the first time anyone did the cold-start procedure.

Hijack over

Question on the cold start procedure: I noticed when I crank my truck it will crank moderately quick for about 3 seconds and then speed up a little. Does it every time. Are they somehow controlling the amps to the starter or is it literally just because the oil is getting circulated to all the parts and the load on the starter frees up?

When I hear it speed up is when I lift off the gas pedal.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I don't know. But he did mention, as he observed, that the truck sure turns over strong. Meaning quick, I'm sure.

It's not something anyone would ever notice because these trucks start INSTANTLY, so you never get to hear them just spin.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’m curious if someone can program the duration it takes for the truck to start up? For example have it turn over for roughly 2 secs then fire up (in a certain temperature) Rather than having it fire it right away. Help get the oil circulating beforehand so we wouldn’t have to do the ole hold down the throttle trick. Then again that would put more stress on the starter.

Edit: to shorten what I said. Delay the start up.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
My only concern is that I might start my truck 10 times today and I only "pre-oil" the first start.

Besides, Ford would never program in this kind of procedure, in my opinion. It would be so unordinary in the industry that the Moto-press would inevitably write about what and why.

Second besides is, it would be far more logical for Ford to do the necessary re-design to address these dry phasers. (Gen2 version of the clack VS Gen1 version)

In fact, if rumors are true, the forthcoming TSB is supposedly accompanied by a different part. So maybe they are redesigning the phasers. (to hold oil?)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My truck seems to crank longer on a cold start than it does on a hot start. I assume this is By design but couldn’t prove it. ‘18 3.5 Lariat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
My truck seems to crank longer on a cold start than it does on a hot start. I assume this is By design but couldn’t prove it. ‘18 3.5 Lariat

It's an 18 and doesn't start instantly?

We have 3 18 3.5's. 2 that require a key (XLT) and 1 pushbutton.

Although it feeeeels like it takes extra time to start the keyed trucks, it's misleading in regards to how many revolutions it takes for the trucks to actually start. They are all immediate. Almost zero perceived cranking.

All 3 are in tropical coastal Texas though. 45F would be considered a frigid cold start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m calling a cold start either the first start of the day or after the truck has been sitting all day at work. It definitely turns over a couple extra seconds before it starts. A “hot” start such as when I allow the auto start/stop to operate is instant. I’m in Georgia so we don’t get really cold very often either.

I love the way my truck runs and operates for the most part. The only problem I see is sometimes I have a rough idle, generally in the summer when the air kicks on high and the fans are running on high.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts