F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same indicator come up on my 2017 lariat f 150. Had the battery replaced but still had the code show up. I took it into the dealership and they said my alternator was going bad and needed to replace it. I then took the truck to another shop (not a dealer) and they said the alternator was working just fine but that the code just needed to be reset and only the dealership could do that. During the day I was driving the truck around and and had everything like stereo and AC on and would check the voltage and the lowest I saw during the day was 12.58v but most of the day it was 14v. I took it back to the dealership and had them test again and to reset the code but they said again the alternator is failing and that it has "a ripple,. Diode is back feeding it is not reliable". And they want to charge me $1000 to swap the alternator.

·
Modinstrator
3,179 Posts
12.58 volts is concerning and what you’re describing kinda sounds like what you’d see with a diode going out. If you have one close by take it to an OReilley’s or AutoZone and have them run a check on it. Then check and see what one of their lifetime warranty alternators costs. It might help you make a decision. $1000 for an alternator seems extreme to me.

The alternators on the Gen1’s, (yours is a Gen2) are buried but not particularly difficult to replace. Maybe someone can jump in here and tell you what is involved with a 2017.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
I miss those $47 Ford alternators

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
12.58 volts is concerning and what you’re describing kinda sounds like what you’d see with a diode going out. If you have one close by take it to an OReilley’s or AutoZone and have them run a check on it. Then check and see what one of their lifetime warranty alternators costs. It might help you make a decision. $1000 for an alternator seems extreme to me.

The alternators on the Gen1’s, (yours is a Gen2) are buried but not particularly difficult to replace. Maybe someone can jump in here and tell you what is involved with a 2017.
The 12v was with the truck off. Once its on i get 14v. Just tested right now.

·
Modinstrator
3,179 Posts
Gotcha, still might tell you the same as a piece of mind check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the alternator changed out and everything worked out for a little over a week but now the light comes back on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've suddenly gotten this same alert 3 or 4 times in the last couple of days.

Once I hit "OK", the pop-up goes away and the red battery icon displays down next to the odometer for 2-3 miles and then suddenly goes away.

This happened a couple of times about a year ago too.

I have zero symptoms of any kind. Battery is strong.

I figure it's a waste of time taking it in unless it throws some codes or at least STAYS in warning mode. If neither happens in the next 6000 miles (3year/36k) I will just get my dealership to put on record and hope for the best if it finally reveals an actual problem.

These fully loaded modern vehicles have so many wires, connectors, sensors, and subsystems.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Has this problem ever resurfaced for you? I starting having the exact same situation a few days ago on my 2016 lariat 5.0 - and no actual symptoms besides the notification and battery light that stays on for around 2 miles after startup in the morning. I am debating on taking it in or just seeing if it goes away on it's own.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Actually I have gotten the alert a couple of times and have ignored it.

The reason I have ignored it is because the alternator voltage was at 14V at the same moment the alert triggered, and the battery was seemingly healthy since the starter turned the motor over without a hint of struggle.

Honestly, the BMS is something I don't have a lot of faith in its accuracy. I'm sure it is experiencing some parameter that is setting off the alert, but fundamentally the "charging system" is functioning properly. I'm tempted to unplug the BMS. Lol

And finally, I get the feeling that if I took the truck in and everything checks out as normal, which it will, I have wasted my time. If something really is not functioning properly in the "charging system", eventually it would result in a flat battery at least. Right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 F150. 31,674 miles. Same issue, in the dealership now for second time. Initially they changed the alternator. The light came back on not 10 miles out of town. I knew it wasn't the alternator or the battery Drove for a couple days, light would come off and on but vehicle never missed or lights dim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems like a lot of Ford owners might have this problem, but I'm not finding any solid information about it being a bug. My 2016 with about 32K miles on it is showing the error message about 30 seconds after cranking up. I've got what looks like a brand new battery with tight contacts at the battery. AutoZone put the ODB on it and didn't find any problems with the alternator (or anything else.) I did some volt-meter testing before going to AutoZone and didn't find any problems with the battery at rest or under load (A/C, lights, radio, fog lights etc.). AutoZone also tested the battery. It checked with no problems, but the employee said he thought the cranking voltage dipped too low during the starter test. It went down to around 9.1 on the line graph. This alert box never appeared before updating from SYNC 1.0 to SYNC 3.0.

Does anyone know what components can trigger this warning? It only comes up shortly after cranking. When the alert is dismissed, the red battery icon light stays lit. The alert box hasn't reappeared once it gets dismissed. I'm going to take a ferry and put this truck on a remote beach later this month and want to nip any electrical problems in the bud.

View attachment 145745 View attachment 145785
I’ve been having a problem with my 2017 Ford F-150. Bought the truck from my brother. He had aftermarket remote start , radio/ backup camera, and retractable running boards installed. My brother said that the problem started last spring when he stopped using the truck. Battery was dead. Dealer said the problem was with the aftermarket radio. They supposedly fixed it. New battery. I buy the truck 3 months ago and same problem crops up. After a week at aftermarket shop they couldn’t find the problem. Took it to the dealership. Nothing but bad battery. This is battery number 3. So last Saturday I get the same message on my dash (Charging system service light). Now I’m losing my mind. I currently have it on a trickle charger. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seems like a lot of Ford owners might have this problem, but I'm not finding any solid information about it being a bug. My 2016 with about 32K miles on it is showing the error message about 30 seconds after cranking up. I've got what looks like a brand new battery with tight contacts at the battery. AutoZone put the ODB on it and didn't find any problems with the alternator (or anything else.) I did some volt-meter testing before going to AutoZone and didn't find any problems with the battery at rest or under load (A/C, lights, radio, fog lights etc.). AutoZone also tested the battery. It checked with no problems, but the employee said he thought the cranking voltage dipped too low during the starter test. It went down to around 9.1 on the line graph. This alert box never appeared before updating from SYNC 1.0 to SYNC 3.0.

Does anyone know what components can trigger this warning? It only comes up shortly after cranking. When the alert is dismissed, the red battery icon light stays lit. The alert box hasn't reappeared once it gets dismissed. I'm going to take a ferry and put this truck on a remote beach later this month and want to nip any electrical problems in the bud.

View attachment 145745 View attachment 145785
Does anyone only see the charging system light when they have their heated seats turned on? Also, there was one time that my dome lights started flickering when the dash light was on, and as soon as I turn off the heated seats, the dash light went out and the dome lights stopped flickering.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Honestly, I think you can receive that indicator on your dash for reasons that can vary from NOTHING is wrong to something is catastrophically failing, and everything in between.

With the dead batteries that you have experienced, it's difficult for you to ignore though. I, on the other hand, get the message randomly and I have been trained to ignore it since the truck exhibits strong cranking amperage at startup, as well as I am monitoring the alternator output live and it clearly indicates 14+ Volts simultaneously to the warning.

The electrical system, along with the BMS system on these trucks is daunting. I haven't a clue what triggers my alert, but I am not going to start swapping parts and I certainly won't let the dealership start running a tab just guessing as well.

I guess all you can do is treat it as a parasitic drain issue, and then logically approach that? Of course that's assuming you have a healthy alternator.

·
Registered
2017 XLT S-Crew 4x4
73 Posts
Well I be with this issue now as my truck refuses to start and jumping it wont do anything... about to get it towed to dealership.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Well I be with this issue now as my truck refuses to start and jumping it wont do anything... about to get it towed to dealership.
Since you recently received a full motor swap, I'm guessing yours is related to that procedure, rather than some component suddenly going out.

Lots and lots of wiring harness connections were involved in that swap.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Dang dude you can't catch a break.

hopefully it’s something super quick and simple though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Maui4x4

·
Registered
2017 XLT S-Crew 4x4
73 Posts
Problem went away mysteriously... The dealership wants to fix it though so I'm happy they want to help rectify the issue if it arises again.

Reactions: Sirikenewtron

·
Registered
2017 XLT S-Crew 4x4
73 Posts
Never mind it reared its ugly head again... I tap the starter with my finger and the issue goes away. Wtf...

21 - 40 of 46 Posts