F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got my shipment of the LED running board lights from F150 LED's today and I was excited to get them installed. So I did it in about 35 min to an hour. Not too bad I had just ran into some issues. So lets start with what is shipped. It was a small box containing the LED strips, Silicon Adhesive, Alcohol wipes, and Quick Splice connectors.

The only tools you need are needle nose plyers with snips. <br>I wiped down the area with a wet paper towel before wiping it down with a alcohol wipe.

I then pulled the adhesive paper off the back of the light strip and lined it up with where i needed it to be.

I then adhered it to the truck using the silicon adhesive provided. It worked rather well.

The Lights were easily mounted to the bottom of the truck, and I ran the wire back through a hole in the frame and then to the rear driver side wiring harness.

Here is where I ran into issues.... I trimmed the wires and separated them to hot and ground. I then used the supplied quick splice connectors and followed the instructions to light them up. Wasn't too hard but the splicing didn't work on the wires designated in the instructions. I got tired of messing with it and did the other side. It worked like a champ. I came back to the driver side again and tried several different splices. I had some laying around. I then decided on my last splice to try the gray and purple wire. It lit up. Each side lights up with the cargo light is on not when the side door is open, though I followed the instructions for the passenger side.

But all in all it wasn't too difficult and they look pretty sick.I definitely find these to be useful on dark nights getting in the truck and having just the extra custom lighting makes it look like it was some expensive add on.

I would recommend these to anyone who likes extra lights and an awesome look to trick out the truck.
But watch those quick splices, they didn't trim all of the coating on the wires when I tried at first. If you have an 09-14 model year you may want to stick with the gray and purple wires as the hot

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like these, where are these from? I'm curious if there is a way to get them to light up only when door is open?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
F150LEDs.com That is what they are supposed to do. On mine for some reason (I think it was the splice) it didn't work so I had to go the alternative, which is fine for me.

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
I like these, where are these from? I'm curious if there is a way to get them to light up only when door is open?
Are you SERIOUS??

Not that it doesn't say it in the description but in the first picture as well...

...let me help you.

Let me google that for you

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks good, I have been eying those for a week or two now as it would be great to have some light on my running board when I hit the unlock

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those look good! I may invest in some and tap into the puddle light circuit to lit up when you unlock the truck and/or open the doors.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I am just curious what wires it said you were to connect to in order to get the puddle light circuit?

as mention its the purple wire with a grey stripe for the accessory, you can find it under the baseboard on the drivers/pass side. as i did this for puddle lights

20150721_164959.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed these last night. My instructions said to connect to a solid purple wire (I have a 2011), but there wasn't one on the driver's side. I think I connected it to the same wire you did, but it might have been grey wire with purple stripe.

The passenger side did have a solid purple wire so I connected to that. Interestingly, when I shut the truck off only the driver's side lights up automatically, but the passenger side waits for the door to be opened. This is only when I first shut the truck off. They both come on all other times.

I also installed the bed lights at the same time. Figured it would be easier since I would only have to do the wire connections once.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,611 Posts
as mention its the purple wire with a grey stripe for the accessory, you can find it under the baseboard on the drivers/pass side. as i did this for puddle lights

View attachment 50669
I sort of wish I had puddle lights. I wonder if this can be done to mount a little led light on the bottom of non puddle equipped mirrors? Maybe even cut a hole and mount it flush with a lense over it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I sort of wish I had puddle lights. I wonder if this can be done to mount a little led light on the bottom of non puddle equipped mirrors? Maybe even cut a hole and mount it flush with a lense over it.
Not to derail the thread - I have not had a 2015+ w/o puddle lights but the 2011-14 had a knockout under the mirror for the puddle light which used a black plastic filler if the light was not from the factory. Pop the mirror apart, install OEM light, connect to wires inside mirror and you were good to go.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm curious to what wires it said to connect to for HOT and GROUND for the passenger side lights?
same as right...............why would there be a different color on other side???

·
Registered
660 Posts
Looks like a job well done. Yes the 2011s come with an insert if you didn't get then pud lights in mirror with wires just waiting to be tapped in. I'll be doing what you did in the coming weeks but in red, since I'm going for the red/black truck styling. Great job you did tho, looks really good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts