F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
We need some better descent engine and transmission management. Curious how the test would have fared at or near sea level.

·
Registered
114 Posts
not to sure the chevy was that much better for twice the motor lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
We don't need no steanking "corvette engine"!

Pretty impressive performance by both the Ford and the Chevy. That Chevy tranny would drive me nuts though. The truck definitely would have done better in manual mode, keeping the RPMs up. The engine braking was impressive.

2013 SuperCrew XLT XTR Kodiak Brown Ecoboost 145"WB 302A package, Max Tow package

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's my complaint with my truck, virtually no engine braking when towing. And yes with almost twice the displacement the chevy should kick its ass I that department.

Bottom line is the ford won the race by almost a minute. I like how he kept having to slow down in the beginning of the climb!

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
It's an obvious answer that the much larger 6.2 would have better engine braking.
Fuel economy is just as they stated.. Ford kept the RPMs and speed up. Chevy fluctuated in RPMs and speed , which increased fuel mileage and resulted in a slower time.
6.2 sounded real nice and was very powerful BUT having your torque available at lower RPMs certainly was very impressive by the EB.

·
Registered
440 Posts
From everything iv read, the 6.2's aren't available in the '14s yet, so either that's a 5.3 and a typo or they got their hands on a 6.2 somehow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is also an obvious answer that a turbo engine does better than a natural aspirated one when the air gets thin. I don't see too many non diesels hauling 10k in the mountains when I'm driving out there either.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From everything iv read, the 6.2's aren't available in the '14s yet, so either that's a 5.3 and a typo or they got their hands on a 6.2 somehow.
Im sure its a 6.2.. Lol.. They have been testing them now for about 6 months.. Not sure if they are out yet at the dealerships. Quick search on youtube brought up pages of the 14 6.2

2014 silverado 6.2 - YouTube

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I don't think they had the F150 in Tow/Haul mode on the decent. Didn't it look like the guy put it in Tow/Haul mode AFTER he was asked if it was in it? That would have helped with those brake temperatures if that was the case. Either way I liked that they used a F150 that wasn't spec'd to pull 10k but they did use a Silverado that was spec'd to pull 10k. The host that drove the Silverado was extremely biased toward the chebby which made it sweet to watch him admit the F150 pulled the load better. If I were going to buy a truck to make that run routinely it would burn diesel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts