F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last night I was watching some TV with the wife and a Chevy commercial came on. It was done in a desert landscape and some rugged blue collor individual was there. The first thing that the commercial claimed was that the truck was more effecient than the Dodge 1500 and the Ford F150. My thought was "Ok, they are probably talking about the 5.0 or something like that". Then, about half way through the commercial they straight up claim that the 5.3L is more efficient than the Ford F150 Ecoboost! That caught my attention. Kinda peeved that they would presume to have a better engine than the ecobeast. In the fine print it at the the bottom of the screen it stated that the ecoboost is estimated to get 16-22mpg and the 5.3L is estimated at 16-23mpg. That made me laugh pretty hard that they would call out the Ecobeast like that and barely make it above in the estimates. They then went on to trash talk about it being a 6cyl and finished the commercial with a view of an F150 Ecoboost covered in dirt and out of gas on the side of the road. So, I did a little research:

Ford F150 Ecoboost:
3.5L V6 Twin Turbo Ecoboost Engine
Engine control system: Electronic
Stock Horsepower: 365 @ 5000rpm
Stock Torque: 420 @ 2500rpm
Compression ratio: 10.0:1
Bore x strock (in.): 3.64 x 3.45
Estimated MPGS: 16 city and 22 highway

Chevy 1500 5.3L:
5.3L V8 EcoTec3 engine
Stock Horsepower: 355 @ 5600rpm
Stock Torque: 383 @ 4100prm
Estimated MPGs: 16 City and 23 Highway (2wd only)
*The chevy website did not give any additional information on the engine*

So, I routinely get 22-25 mpgs highway going through the mountain ranges and rugged driving conditions of Alaska. And that is on a COMPLETELY stock truck. Screw and 6.5ft bed with it. They made it look like the EcoBeast could not even be on the same level as the EcoTec3. But with the numbers that they are showing on their sight, they compromised a lot of power for that ONE extra MPG on their big bad V8.

Conclusion: Chevy, you still have a ways to go with your weak attempts to take on the ECOBEAST!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 5.3 in the Avalanche and its a phenomenal engine. It has 244,000 miles on it and still runs like a new one. That said, the best I have ever gotten was almost 22 mpg highway and that was pretty consistent on long trips. Average was in the 14 mpg area for day to day driving. I pulled my 5800 pound toy hauler home from Maryland to the panhandle of Texas and averaged 7 mpg for most of the trip and while it did pull it, it wasn't pretty. It would scream at close to redline on uphill runs and you'd be around 45 mph on 6-7% grades. Not good. With the EB I lock out 6th gear, set the cruise at 60 and forget it. Loaded to about 8,000 pounds it will pull the TH up anything and average 9.2 mpg. For me the biggest thing about the EB is where all that torque happens compared to the 5.3. Closest thing to a diesel out there in a gas engine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea. But they are claiming that the new ecotec3 is better than the Ecoboost. I just couldn't believe it when I watched the commercial.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The NEW 5.3 does get better gas milage than the ecoboost. But it does have less HP and TQ. My father-in-law has a 2008 chevy 4x4 with the 5.3 (317hp/335tq)(cylinder deactivation) in it and gets 19-20 on the highway, but that thing is a turd. At the time my 2004 Titan raped it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The 5.3L is pretty gutless at low rpm's. I wouldn't even consider it for towing anything bigger than a small bass boat. Apples to Oranges.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The 5.3L is pretty gutless at low rpm's. I wouldn't even consider it for towing anything bigger than a small bass boat. Apples to Oranges.
I second that. Even with the increase in hp and tq for 2014...its not till 4100rpm do you see peak tq.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here is a recent head to head that was done

PickupTrucks.com - Special Reports

The GMC was a 2014. The fuel economy was very good on that engine. The F150 did well overall and was named the winner, it still stands out from a performance standpoint.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I wouldn't get bent out of shape over marketing on TV. They all do it. Highlight the best of their product compared to competitors. Nothing new here.

Remains to be scene though the new 5.3 with direct injection seems to be solid competition for the EB. Coincidentally I'm getting just north of 15 mpg in my heavily configured EB, not all of us see 22 mpg so enjoy that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Remains to be scene though the new 5.3 with direct injection seems to be solid competition for the EB.
What competition? Anybody that has towed much understands why the Eco is in a class by itself. I can tell you my 2013 Eco gets better city economy than my 2010 5.3L and they have the same city epa rating. I doubt there will be much difference with the 2014. You throw low gearing in and I'd bet the Eco wins.

I use city because that's 95% of my driving. If you drive 95% hwy and bought a truck expecting great mileage....well.....you know.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
My last truck was a 4.8 Silverado. :(

Knowing how GM does things, the new 5.3 is going to have higher gearing than the Ecoboost.
Maybe 3.08 or 3.23, and then the transmission is geared more for economy than actual work. (Read -- Slug)

So, it's more economical, but can't tow for crap. I bet loaded to max capacity it's dead last against all competitors.

·
Registered
565 Posts
So, I routinely get 22-25 mpgs highway going through the mountain ranges and rugged driving conditions of Alaska. And that is on a COMPLETELY stock truck. Screw and 6.5ft bed with it. They made it look like the EcoBeast could not even be on the same level as the EcoTec3. But with the numbers that they are showing on their sight, they compromised a lot of power for that ONE extra MPG on their big bad V8.

Conclusion: Chevy, you still have a ways to go with your weak attempts to take on the ECOBEAST!
How are you getting 22-25 i can barely get 19 on the highway thats at 75 but even in the 65mph zones im only getting 20-21

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I dont know why everyone is b!tch!ng about their ecoboost fuel economy................ ITS A PICKUP! Look at it like this, its a truck that has a motor that produces 365 hp, and 420 ft lbs of torque! I guess that those numbers SCREAM HORRIBLE FUEL ECONOMY!!!!! But here is the kicker, any truck that makes those horsepower and torque numbers, from chevrolet or dodge or nissan or toyota make 10 mpgs in town and 15 on the highway, MAYBE. Sooooooo, any one that needs 25 mpg should have bought a prius or a honda!

As far as the new 5.3, well boys and girls, its about time chevrolet stepped up to the plate I applaud them for trying! BUT, they are still 3 years behind LIKE THEY ALWAYS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Maybe he's a 2wd. I see 19.5 in a 4x4 driving through 35 in Austin and around town. Pure highway at 60-65 in a 2wd might get it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I dont know why everyone is b!tch!ng about their ecoboost fuel economy................ ITS A PICKUP! Look at it like this, its a truck that has a motor that produces 365 hp, and 420 ft lbs of torque! I guess that those numbers SCREAM HORRIBLE FUEL ECONOMY!!!!! But here is the kicker, any truck that makes those horsepower and torque numbers, from chevrolet or dodge or nissan or toyota make 10 mpgs in town and 15 on the highway, MAYBE. Sooooooo, any one that needs 25 mpg should have bought a prius or a honda!

As far as the new 5.3, well boys and girls, its about time chevrolet stepped up to the plate I applaud them for trying! BUT, they are still 3 years behind LIKE THEY ALWAYS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!
i really wasnt complaining at all i knew that when i bought the truck i was giving up my 35 mpg car. I am more then happy with 19mpg my dads 8.1 gets 8 city or highway and it has less power.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yake, thanks for that link to the tests! That was good. I'm just glad there really is some competition - all these trucks will do what I want - so, I'm just back to the main issue for me - truck with the fewest problems! And, that has been very hard for me to determine. Ford's driveline shudder (not related to Ecoboost), GM oil usage and general poor quality recently, a myriad of Tundra problems(!), Ram's bad paint and differential problems... I guess I want a Hybrid - EcoRamGM - mix the best of these, hey, we could have a trouble free truck!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am extremely light on the gas pedal and I use the cruise control in every possible situation that I can. I also manually control the gearing so that it is not dropping gears too fast or more than needed when going through the mountains. Most of the driving that I do is at 55mph and that seems to be the sweet spot for this engine. Between the limited city driving that I do and the highway driving that I do I average around 19.1 to 19.4. Mind you, I do live 100+ miles away from the closest WalMart so it is a commute for everything.

·
Registered
523 Posts
What competition?
Completion? GM sold 61620 and Dodge sold 33009 trucks last month. Not everyone buys Ford and a Ford equipped with EB. That's competition and sales Ford for love to conquer. Additionally an engine alone doesn't make the entire truck.

GM just launched their new truck. Time will tell how well the market place accepts their new offering. Most people that are open to new ideas, innovations, and advancements won't condemn the truck out of the gates when the public at large hasn't had a chance to sample the competitive vehicles, of which they will over the next two or three years. Dodge is bringing out a half ton V6 turbo charged diesel that is suppose to eclipse 25 MPG highway. That's surely to have impact.

Anybody that has towed much understands why the Eco is in a class by itself. I can tell you my 2013 Eco gets better city economy than my 2010 5.3L and they have the same city epa rating. I doubt there will be much difference with the 2014. You throw low gearing in and I'd bet the Eco wins.
That's interesting observation on mileage. Our previous '07 6.2 Denali was about 1 MPG shy of where my current EB is averaging in mileage performing like tasks.

I use city because that's 95% of my driving. If you drive 95% hwy and bought a truck expecting great mileage....well.....you know.
There's those that enamored and those that are humbled by mileage of the EB. Goal for mine one day would be for its observed highway mileage to eclipse the rated city mileage.

I for one and open minded and want would like to hear about the all new direct injected 5.3 and owner experiences towing and empty highway. If for the only aspect to learn from others experiences and how competitive products are advancing the truck market.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I dont know why everyone is b!tch!ng about their ecoboost fuel economy................ ITS A PICKUP! Look at it like this, its a truck that has a motor that produces 365 hp, and 420 ft lbs of torque! I guess that those numbers SCREAM HORRIBLE FUEL ECONOMY!!!!! But here is the kicker, any truck that makes those horsepower and torque numbers, from chevrolet or dodge or nissan or toyota make 10 mpgs in town and 15 on the highway

·
Registered
510 Posts
Your '07 6.2L is probably a better comparison to the ecoboost than the 5.3L. While GM will sale their share of trucks, Ford has a better powertrain in the ecoboost. There isn't much new to the 5.3L. You'll hear the same old same old.

Yep, that's the engine I know.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The 5.3-liter V-8’s full 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque are delivered close to redline, meaning it needs to be worked to hustle.

Curiously, the six-speed automatic was clunky at low speeds—short of full-throttle applications, it tended to bobble the first-to-second shift. When slowing to a stop, the unit would also prematurely slam into first, resulting in a shudder.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4 Crew Cab Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Hate the tranny on mine too. Always searching for the right gear.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts