F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2010 F250 that the tranny overheated while towing 10,000 lbs TT... Long story short, no code was thrown. The transmission shop whom I trust, after a hot flush of tranny fluid, added a qt of a product called "Chill" for auto transmission. ($20). Shop stated they did a tested on a truck before and after. Fluid temp dropped by 20 deg. by adding this product. So I had them add it to my truck (F250)... After that never had a problem with the tranny overheating again. FYI traded in the F250 for a 2018 F150 Lariat sport SCrew. F250 6.4L To much $$$ to maintain plus $$ fuel cost. Just might be a good idea to try it on the F150, to try and keep the tranny temps down!
The Transmission shop also said to change the Transmission fluid every 10,000 miles of towing weight over 8,000 lbs. Fluid loses its ability to cool after a while.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it's not broke, don't fix it.
Is your trans running hot? I'd be curious to see if this was compatible with Ford trans fluid, since the trans is technically "sealed for life".....under normal operation conditions. What we consider "normal" would probably fall into their 150k fluid change.
I'm not saying it doesn't work. At a certain point you're addressing the symptoms and not the problems though.
You did wise by dumping that 6.4, not International's finest moment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's not broke, don't fix it.
Is your trans running hot? I'd be curious to see if this was compatible with Ford trans fluid, since the trans is technically "sealed for life".....under normal operation conditions. What we consider "normal" would probably fall into their 150k fluid change.
I'm not saying it doesn't work. At a certain point you're addressing the symptoms and not the problems though.
You did wise by dumping that 6.4, not International's finest moment.
Yes. On dumping the 6.4l starting to puff white smoke at 80,000 got rid of it at 98,000
On the tranny additive. The transmission shop added the chill additive not me. They have (the shop) a five star rating. Cops get there cruisers repaired by them.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Ive never had issues with my trans getting hot. My engine, absolutely, but the trans never gets over 208.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ive never had issues with my trans getting hot. My engine, absolutely, but the trans never gets over 208.
I'm with you on that. Unless it has difficulty shedding heat, I'd be hesitant to introduce something that may/may not help.
This is coming from a guy who doesn't modify his trucks anymore though.
*Grain of salt

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I'm with you on that. Unless it has difficulty shedding heat, I'd be hesitant to introduce something that may/may not help.
This is coming from a guy who doesn't modify his trucks anymore though.
*Grain of salt
I think the key is keeping the torque converter locked up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts