F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that the chrome on my passenger side running board is starting to flake off on the inside. Has anyone else had this happen? What can be done to stop it from spreading?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Noticed that the chrome on my passenger side running board is starting to flake off on the inside. Has anyone else had this happen? What can be done to stop it from spreading?
Chrome running boards is a bad idea from the get go. Cut your losses and either get them stripped and covered with bedliner or powdercoat them.

·
Registered
823 Posts
What year? I've actually got 1 chrome board plus mounting hardware sitting in my garage that is in good shape. I took mine off for a set of foldables, someone here needed one to replace a bent one, so made him a deal. Other one just leaning up in the corner still 3 years later. If yours matches a 13 "chrome package" running board and its the right side, pass/driver (i'll have to look to see if there is diff or if they're identical), I might be able to solve your problem.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine were doing the exact same thing, bad. I removed all the plastic, grinded the bad spots, sanded the whole boards, painted with bed liner, and they're drying as we speak

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
3M spray-on professional grade rubber undercoating worked out great

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
The right one on my 12 Lariat is bubbling in 4 different places. Next steps will be retractables off a total or the ones made by Amp.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Check my build thread, I have mine waterless blasted to strip them completely and then I lin-x'd them. You could also powder coat them if choose. There is a chrome lookalike powder coating if you want to keep chrome look. However powder coat obviously will chip etc unlike line x.

The insides I spray with fluid film.

I have the plastic cap tops still if anyone needs them for regular cab length running boards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts