F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve located a clean super crew Xlt with the EB and the whole timing chain thing has me extremely worried. I don’t want to get stuck with 4K in repairs shortly after I buy it. It doesn’t have any of the symptoms right now that I was able to observe.

Is this a rare occurrence or does it pretty much affect them all?

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I’ve located a clean super crew Xlt with the EB and the whole timing chain thing has me extremely worried. I don’t want to get stuck with 4K in repairs shortly after I buy it. It doesn’t have any of the symptoms right now that I was able to observe.

It's hard to say. Only way to know for sure is to see. The service records and start it up on the first cold start of the day yourself. If the owner isn't willing to let you do it then I'd pass.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought a 2011 back in like 2016 with 53000 iirc I now have 97500 and haven’t had any issues not to say you won’t have a completely different experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do all of these trucks eventually have the issue? I’m going to run by the dealership in the morning and have them look up the service records. Maybe I’ll get lucky and it’s already been repaired under warranty? What is the rate of repeat issues with the timing chain or does it get fixed the first time?

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's hard to know the failure percentage. If you look at the various F150 forums it's probably 90% but they don't provide a representative sample. The only representative sample would be access to Ford's data and I don't think they are going to release that.

If it's going to be a worry then buy an extended warranty if possible or have a contingency fund. Or buy something else with its problems. My '07 Epitomy of reliability Toyota Tacoma had rusting frame issues, rods coming out the side of the block... Just visit any brand specific forum and there will be problems.

If you like the truck buy it but be financially able make repairs and not have to worry.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
It's hard to know the failure percentage. If you look at the various F150 forums it's probably 90% but they don't provide a representative sample. The only representative sample would be access to Ford's data and I don't think they are going to release that.

If it's going to be a worry then buy an extended warranty if possible or have a contingency fund. Or buy something else with its problems. My '07 Epitomy of reliability Toyota Tacoma had rusting frame issues, rods coming out the side of the block... Just visit any brand specific forum and there will be problems.

If you like the truck buy it but be financially able make repairs and not have to worry.
Well put!

The Ecoboost F150 is the BEAST of the ½ton world. It's certainly the most FUN gasoline truck to sit in the pilots chair.

But as you stated, every platform comes with its own "weaknesses" and you should just go into with open eyes.

On the Ecoboost F150, I just mentally budget for it. It may or may not ever come up, but I emotionally have prepared for it. I use a rounded $3000 in my make-believe Ecoboost emergency fund.

So far, with about 5 or 6 Ecoboost trucks in the family fleet, none of us have needed it. In fact, save for the oil pan on one of the 2016 2.7's, none of them have even needed a repair! But as they put on the miles, statistically something will need to be addressed.
Ironically, if I had to predict, the HDPP 2018 will need the noisy phasers looked at, at some point. I say ironically because it's the most babied of them all. My brother drives it so gentle and he can't be goaded into doing otherwise. I continuously warn him, to no avail. Hardhead Cajun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Go dive into the lot and let a sales person pressure you. Tell him you know the first year EB had a lot of failures of phasers and stretched timing chains. Tell him to take 4k right off the price and you'll talk. If not, start walking. If you're even remotely afraid of getting burned by the fire, why wave your hand over it?

What sort of mileage are we talking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go dive into the lot and let a sales person pressure you. Tell him you know the first year EB had a lot of failures of phasers and stretched timing chains. Tell him to take 4k right off the price and you'll talk. If not, start walking. If you're even remotely afraid of getting burned by the fire, why wave your hand over it?

What sort of mileage are we talking?

its a 2011 manufactured 10\2010
super crew XLT 4WD

87000 miles

he’s asking 16k but knows he won’t get that, private owner seller is selling it for his mom. It was his dads but dad passed in September. Every question I asked, the answer was “I don’t know.” Just says it was his dads so he doesn’t know much which can be understandable. Truck looks and drives well except for alignment steering wheel issue. (Steering wheel it at almost 11 o’clock when going straight down the road. Truck drives and holds straight though. No rust and no visible issues or leaks.

I think I have to pass since it seems pretty much all of these motors have this issue at some point. I’m betting the truck is perfectly fine currently. ( mom and dad used it to pull their camper to Michigan and elsewhere according to him) but at some point it’s going to need a $4K repair. I don’t really want to be around when it does.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
its a 2011 manufactured 10\2010
super crew XLT 4WD

87000 miles

he’s asking 16k but knows he won’t get that, private owner seller is selling it for his mom. It was his dads but dad passed in September. Every question I asked, the answer was “I don’t know.” Just says it was his dads so he doesn’t know much which can be understandable. Truck looks and drives well except for alignment steering wheel issue. (Steering wheel it at almost 11 o’clock when going straight down the road. Truck drives and holds straight though. No rust and no visible issues or leaks.

I think I have to pass since it seems pretty much all of these motors have this issue at some point. I’m betting the truck is perfectly fine currently. ( mom and dad used it to pull their camper to Michigan and elsewhere according to him) but at some point it’s going to need a $4K repair. I don’t really want to be around when it does.
$4k is a little overboard. $2k is a good estimate in the US. Heck when mine was done up here in Canada service writer said around $3200 Canadian.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The vac pump is covered under Ford recall I believe.

Be willing to spend money for timing chains and phasers on that truck. Rest of truck is solid.

The other stuff you just want to service, including cleaning the manifold sensor, intercooler (or upgrade), installing a catch can and changing all the fluids.

Another thing is the 2011 turbos with the built in blow off valves, youll want to upgrade those.

You also want to check the rear cab corners for rust.

·
Read Only
33 Posts

I would pass on that truck because you mentioned that it had an alignment issue and that itself says a lot on how well the truck was maintained.
If the engine and transmission are good with no leaks or Anykind of noises, I would make a Cash offer of $11,000 but not more than $12,000. If you get it for that amount spend maybe $500 on a tune up and alignment.
Those trucks will go a long way with the proper maintenance.
If you dont make a deal, dont worry, another one Will come up.
PS: Do not worry about the time chain if it is not messed up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts