F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive heard of guys spraying rust and corrosion preventatives inside their wheel wells and along the frame before installing rear wheel well liners... I really didnt want to go buy something special or make a mess behind where the liners will go since I dont anticipate moisture buildup to be a huge problem in there..??..

Considering just cleaning the area with contact cleaner so it evaporates / dries quickly and installing them straight away. Maybe some WD-40 behind where they will sit under the rear wheel wells..??.. Im sure some of you would recommend heavy duty rust and corrosion protectant like Rust Check, or Amsoil Metal Protectant, etc... So lets hear the opinions.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I didn't do anything special. Wheel wells were clean when I installed the liners. I'm in North Texas, so rust isn't really an issue here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't do anything special. Wheel wells were clean when I installed the liners. I'm in North Texas, so rust isn't really an issue here.
Same here except I'm in North Georgia... My wheel wells were still clean, the paint was good, so I saw no reason to add to the project. Now if my truck was a couple years old before I added liners I would have used a few quarters at the local high pressure car wash to clean the area really well before installing them.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill probably just spray it all off with contact cleaner since it rained for a few days since I had the truck so it got wet under there amd some dirt / dust was left behind.

Dont want to wash it with water because it'll take too long to dry and I dont want any moisture under there when I install the liners.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I am just awaiting my new weather tech mud flaps then I need a day

神就是愛

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Installed the liners. The driver's side one was a real hassle; the other was easy. Don't know why. Anyhow, it looks better this way, and I hope it'll last longer too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I installed mine immediately after bringing the truck home from being rustproofed/undercoated. The rustproofing was still soft and there was enough sprayed into the corners to help seal along the edge of the liner. It just took about three days to get all the excess scrubbed off my hands. :)

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I just make sure to take the liners off once a year to clean around them.
Really? Do you not struggle with the connecting rod behind them? That thing is not long enough, I struggled on both sides getting that damn thing in place forever. Almost left them out.

i sprayed fluid film before putting mine in. Salt and crap cannot go through the plastic. The area direct behind them, like the inside of the bumper, still gets stuff flinged into it. i clean that out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Installed the liners. The driver's side one was a real hassle; the other was easy. Don't know why. Anyhow, it looks better this way, and I hope it'll last longer too.
That's funny, my passenger side was a fight to the finish and the drivers side almost fell in place.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
That's funny, my passenger side was a fight to the finish and the drivers side almost fell in place.
I have a feeling the QA/QC on these things may be spotty, making each one unique.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
BTW, I sprayed a good lot of Fluid Film into the two spots on each side where you have to install the metal clips to hold the bottom edge of the liner. It looked like that install would score the painted surface and expose bare metal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts