F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 f150 ecoboost fx4 and when I am pulling into my drive way I reverse into it, and the front end has started to click when I put it in reverse and turn the wheel, it only clicks when I turn the wheel, is this a cv joint issue? truck has 2.5 inch spacer for lift, and 97k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
IWE

You have a vacuum leak. Put it in 4WD and verify it DOESN'T make the noise.

That would be confirmation

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is it kind of like a grinding noise, metal on metal? Mine did this... dealership looked at it, said they put dielectric grease on one of the steering components, hasn't came back in 4 years.

If it is a true click...go with the above comment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a grinding at all, just clicks When you turn wheel happens a lot when you stop reverse and turn wheel

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does it only happen in reverse and turning the wheel? Is it repeatable on a large curb or steep incline going forward, or only reverse?
If you have a GoPro, throw it in the area you hear it and repeat. Or have someone with some auto knowledge stand next to it and repeat until it's pinpointed.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only happens in reverse and turning wheel I think I’ve heard it will parking turning the wheel but it’s always after i go to reverse

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m gonna pull the front end apart this weekend but now that I’m listening to it, it does sound like metal clicking but It’s not consistent it only does it sometimes. The boots look great and I have not checked for play

·
Registered
549 Posts
So.... Did you not try putting it into 4wd and backing up, seeing if the noise persists, as Snakebitten had recommended? Seems with all the IWE posts and clicking in the front end posts that you might want to try that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it kind of like a grinding noise, metal on metal? Mine did this... dealership looked at it, said they put dielectric grease on one of the steering components, hasn't came back in 4 years.

If it is a true click...go with the above comment.
So.... Did you not try putting it into 4wd and backing up, seeing if the noise persists, as Snakebitten had recommended? Seems with all the IWE posts and clicking in the front end posts that you might want to try that.
I just put it in four-wheel-drive on the street and I make the same noise, when I crank the wheel to the left and start rolling forward the truck makes a loud bang noise and it jolts the whole truck felt like the axle was binding, took it out of 4x4 and stoped the binding but still same metal clicking, does it when you turn wheel to either direction but stops as soon as you put in in drive from reverse

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just put it in four-wheel-drive on the street and I make the same noise, when I crank the wheel to the left and start rolling forward the truck makes a loud bang noise and it jolts the whole truck felt like the axle was binding, took it out of 4x4 and stoped the binding but still same metal clicking, does it when you turn wheel to either direction but stops as soon as you put in in drive from reverse
That narrows things down a bit. Especially from some of the common IWE noises. Maybe this has something to do with the lift?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I turn the wheel the height of the truck goes up and down when you turn the wheel all the way, i know it’s not good for 4x4 on street but I have never heard it make that loud of a noise in the front tire area in the dirt, I tried to turn around and you could feel the truck actually bind in the inside wheel either direction and make the loud bang and jolt

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The rise and fall of the truck on full turn is not unusual within reason. It is a function of caster angle and steering knuckle geometry. The noise should of course be addressed. Spit balling here but I’d first look at your lower control arm bolts being loose and hub bearings. Several worn parts could also cause this problem (i.e. ball joints).

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Dude, never turn on dry pavement in 4x4 lol.

The clanking noise you mention metal on metal does it on my truck only at full lock. This was known way back at the start, there is no fix as far as I know. I never rarely need full lock. It won't damage anything....or has yet for me or anyone else as far as i know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to give an update the Upper ball joints are what is making the noise, It has started to make the noise most the time when you turn the wheel, Doesn’t matter if its in reverse anymore

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
snakebitten
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing