F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have both tunes in my possession, e30 and e50. Put her back to stock last night and threw in an e30 mix this morning before work just to start getting used to the double fill-up lifestyle and watch what happens to my OAR. Cuz I'm curious.

Decided to purchase a gauge. Never put one in before and I would like to learn something. Plus this is my daily and I tend to overthink my life (ha) so I like that piece of mind. Once I get that thrown in I'll finally start some revisions.

I CAN'T WAIT. MMMMMM CORN 馃尳.

Registered
I love the E30 tune I have from Torrie. Both my SHO and my truck (when it was stock) ran with virtually no issues. One thing to note is your injectors and pump will be taxed more heavily. I had my number 2 injector stick wide open (failed) on my SHO. Fortunately, it did it literally in my driveway. Changing it wasn't fun, but a fair bit easier than the trucks. I use the tune sparingly now, and rely on my 91 tune for that added boost.

Registered
I love the E30 tune I have from Torrie. Both my SHO and my truck (when it was stock) ran with virtually no issues. One thing to note is your injectors and pump will be taxed more heavily. I had my number 2 injector stick wide open (failed) on my SHO. Fortunately, it did it literally in my driveway. Changing it wasn't fun, but a fair bit easier than the trucks. I use the tune sparingly now, and rely on my 91 tune for that added boost.
Whoa! Blast from the past.

Registered
Fair enough, I use a BDX. I couldn't find any KR or OAR pid's. Might have to import those later if they aren't already there. Purchasing a couple tunes tonight. I'm diving in.

Edit: BTW thank you for that picture that was actually incredibly helpful to me.
you will have to import them, but they鈥檙e there.

I鈥檓 basically pegged at -.96OAR on my 5 star e30 tune.

every time I fill up, I just put in 5 gallons e85(usually tests e77) and 10 gallons 93. After watching knock and OAR for 10+ tanks, I鈥檓 fully comfortable just doing the 5/10 gallons without testing every time. My knock RARELY goes positive, max 2.5 over a week. I鈥檝e seen 3.5 but only once.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I can give a quick update here on my end, I've been away from the forum for a while due to moving into a new place/having a kid. Been dabbling thru the threads here and there again when I find some time. I've been daily driving an Unleashed e50 tune with a BAP (and other fun items) for a couple months and I have had no issues. After completely revising the e30 I just wanted more but honestly even the e30 is like driving a rocket. Since running ethanol in general the ticks and clicks my truck likes to notoriously aggravate me with are still there, yet I would say fewer and further in-between. Honestly, I could write a short book with all I've learned about my truck since originally posting. And not for nothing, it's insane how quick this thing is. I plan to do a lot more once I can get my personal life back underneath my feet 馃槄

Registered
I can give a quick update here on my end, I've been away from the forum for a while due to moving into a new place/having a kid. Been dabbling thru the threads here and there again when I find some time. I've been daily driving an Unleashed e50 tune with a BAP (and other fun items) for a couple months and I have had no issues. After completely revising the e30 I just wanted more but honestly even the e30 is like driving a rocket. Since running ethanol in general the ticks and clicks my truck likes to notoriously aggravate me with are still there, yet I would say fewer and further in-between. Honestly, I could write a short book with all I've learned about my truck since originally posting. And not for nothing, it's insane how quick this thing is. I plan to do a lot more once I can get my personal life back underneath my feet 馃槄
How鈥檚 the difference between the E30 and E50 tune?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Performance wise, definitely a noticable difference. Not as drastic as the jump from 91 to e30 IMO. First time I gave her a WOT after my first e30 revision, let's just say I wasn't prepared haha. Also, economy loss (in my experience) between 91 and e30 wasn't too bad. I only lost probably 1mpg overall. Now that I run the e50, that economy loss is much more notible. 91 octane I was getting about 17 or 18 in town, 20 on the highway depending on conditions. Now with the e50 I average about 13-14 in town, 16 or 17 on the highway depending on conditions. For someone that wants a fair amount more power at minimal economy loss, I will hype e30 all day. Personally I like the 50 mix for the extra power and for personal truck reasons I like running the higher concentration of ethanol. E30 is the best middle ground all day long. When it gets colder outside again, I have not decided if I am going to run 30 or go back to 91 for the winter. No way my truck starts on some of the cold mornings we have with half ethanol in the tank. Hope that answers your question

Registered
What is the octane rating of E30 mixed using 91 as the base? Like 98?

Im really curious to see what using Boostane to bump 91 to 98 does. I wonder if its similar or if there are still added benefits from the cooling of the ethanol. Increasing ethanol by 20% is not a huge change in the evaporative cooling assuming you are starting with E10 to begin with.

Edit, oh wait, I already did the calcs earlier in this thread. 91 E0 to E30 is like 98 and 91 E10 to E30 is 96

I might give this a try next time. Just dump a whole bunch of boostane in my truck to see how it runs. I know that on 94 octane there is a difference vs 91, like maybe 1-2 degrees of additional timing, but since I am normally running while towing only I don't get to play around and see how quick it is.

The only thing that sucks is to go from 91 to 98 I need like half a bottle of boostane for 18 gallons, which is like $15 worth. Its almost a dollar a gallon.

Reactions: Boatwaco and Rhydon

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
What is the octane rating of E30 mixed using 91 as the base? Like 98?

Im really curious to see what using Boostane to bump 91 to 98 does. I wonder if its similar or if there are still added benefits from the cooling of the ethanol. Increasing ethanol by 20% is not a huge change in the evaporative cooling assuming you are starting with E10 to begin with.

Edit, oh wait, I already did the calcs earlier in this thread. 91 E0 to E30 is like 98 and 91 E10 to E30 is 96

I might give this a try next time. Just dump a whole bunch of boostane in my truck to see how it runs. I know that on 94 octane there is a difference vs 91, like maybe 1-2 degrees of additional timing, but since I am normally running while towing only I don't get to play around and see how quick it is.

The only thing that sucks is to go from 91 to 98 I need like half a bottle of boostane for 18 gallons, which is like $15 worth. Its almost a dollar a gallon.
Hey, a dollar a gallon is a lot better than $5 for 87 or whatever else 馃槄 I'm curious what your thoughts would be after tuning/running the 91 + octane booster and then tuning/running a comparative mix of ethanol with the same octane (AKI - gonna say this before someone jumps on me but I'm going to continue using "octane" to keep things simple). I am no tuner but if you did something like that and tried to put a couple findings into layman's terms I would definitely follow that thread. Like you said the internal temps would be a little higher with the 91+, I know that there are other benefits/consequenses to running ethanol vs higher octane fuel in general however if a truck tuned for 96 octane with an octane booster dragged the same truck tuned for an e mix of the same octane level, I wonder what the numbers would be.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have the economy loss numbers an e mix gives you if you ran the booster instead? There are way more variables than my non-tuner brain can handle all at one time haha.

edit: I'm sure it's obvious by this post but I have no experience with running an octane booster

Reactions: Boatwaco

Registered
Hey, a dollar a gallon is a lot better than $5 for 87 or whatever else 馃槄 I'm curious what your thoughts would be after tuning/running the 91 + octane booster and then tuning/running a comparative mix of ethanol with the same octane (AKI - gonna say this before someone jumps on me but I'm going to continue using "octane" to keep things simple). I am no tuner but if you did something like that and tried to put a couple findings into layman's terms I would definitely follow that thread. Like you said the internal temps would be a little higher with the 91+, I know that there are other benefits/consequenses to running ethanol vs higher octane fuel in general however if a truck tuned for 96 octane with an octane booster dragged the same truck tuned for an e mix of the same octane level, I wonder what the numbers would be.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have the economy loss numbers an e mix gives you if you ran the booster instead? There are way more variables than my non-tuner brain can handle all at one time haha.

edit: I'm sure it's obvious by this post but I have no experience with running an octane booster
The problem is I do not have access to ethanol anywhere near me. I would have to drive up into Idaho somewhere I believe. Boostane is my only option.

91 E10 + Boostane to bump to 94 octane only required that I add 1 extra degree of timing global to the OAR adjuster but 91 also was not maxing out my OAR in the first place. The extra degree will put the 94 octane at an OAR of ~0.9 which I am good with. My KR's stay very tight to a 0, which is good in the sense that it doesn't have to go searching very far to find peak timing.

I am also not sure that I necessarily need a ton of octane because my turbos are out of steam just above the stock power levels at my elevation. Stock tune hits about 36 lb/min and my turbos tap out at ~38-40 lbs/min with a tune. I am not pushing air loads much higher than stock even on an all out performance tune. I might be at 320 whp if I am lucky, not like some people pushing 450 whp on 93.

Registered
Actually, now that I looked again, there are some stations closer to me. I used to be the only one was up in Idaho Falls which is a decent drive. They still arnt close but 50 minutes each way is better than 3-4 hours each way.

Since a vast majority of the 91 around here is E10, I think I am better off mixing to E30 with 88 E0, but that only gets me to a 95.5 octane. 91 E10 looks to use 88 as its base stock and then is blended with 10% ethanol. So I would bump that from 91 E10 to E30 and arrive at the same place.

I do know of one station on the way to moab that has 91 E0 for all the RZR's and stuff that head down there but its crazy expensive and not close.

Registered
I may try to go E50 or E85 on my truck and see what happens. Because I am at 6500鈥, my turbos are limited to just a hair over stock HP anyways, so my fuel system should keep up assuming I keep the tune roughly stock except for the timing and AFR changes.

stock turbos are good for 48 lb/min and people run that much on the stock fuel system without issue.Stock tune is ~36 lbs. 48/36 = 1.33 or 33% more available fuel than is needed for the stock tune.
So i figure the stock fuel system should have no issue on E85.

I might not even need E85 though since I would be close to stock air loads. I wouldnt be running a ton of boost so I may hit MBT at 鈥渙ctanes鈥 less than E85

Registered
I may try to go E50 or E85 on my truck and see what happens. Because I am at 6500鈥, my turbos are limited to just a hair over stock HP anyways, so my fuel system should keep up assuming I keep the tune roughly stock except for the timing and AFR changes.

stock turbos are good for 48 lb/min and people run that much on the stock fuel system without issue.Stock tune is ~36 lbs. 48/36 = 1.33 or 33% more available fuel than is needed for the stock tune.
So i figure the stock fuel system should have no issue on E85.

I might not even need E85 though since I would be close to stock air loads. I wouldnt be running a ton of boost so I may hit MBT at 鈥渙ctanes鈥 less than E85
DO IT. These trucks LOVE E.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts