F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 15K miles on the truck and when I put it into reverse and start to backup I get a clunking noise. Took it to the dealer and they initially said it was the drive shaft and they would have to order the part. OK????? I asked them what was wrong with the drive shaft and is this a common issue (I have not heard of anything like this on this forum?). He said "Oh yes, it is very common. So then they called me up and told me they replaced the drive shaft and it was still making the noise. But, the good news was they had a NEW TSB issued just recently came out (?????). They would have to keep it for a couple of days. It was a Friday late afternoon and I was in a rental already so told them I would talk to them on Monday. I will ask for a complete run down on what the issue was, what parts they replaced and the TSB #. Then post to let everyone know. Just in case it happens to someone else.

More to come....

·
Registered
868 Posts
i have heard about this type issue and it turned out they rebuilt the rearend because the factory assy did not have the proper spacer on the pinion
there has been a few cases reported

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2013 XLT 4x4 EB and have noticed a similar noise. Its also when i let off the gas and apply the gas at low speed, almost like it's got a loose U-joint or slack in the rear end. I only have 1100 miles on mine and I will be taking it in to the dealer Thursday. Also, please excuse my ignorance but what does "TSB" mean? I'm somewhat new to online forums and need to learn the lingo.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Technical Service Bulletin

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 EB with a very similar issue, except I get the clunk when I accelerate from a dead stop.. Truck goes in next week, hopefully it gets taken care of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I talked to the service department at Jordan ford of San Antonio today and they told me that its from the break in period. They said that things get a little loose during this time and when I bring it in at 3000 miles they will reprogram it and tighten up anything that's loose or not right. Makes sense, I broke in a new motor on my old blazer when I was younger and had to tighten up some slack from parts wearing in. Then again I was in a Chevy lol. On the other hand I drove five hours to west texas today and had a engine shutter, power loss, and engine light start flashing when I tried to pass a semi on the highway. I slowed down and bayed it for a min and it returned to its normal peppy self. So ya..... It's going in Thursday and getting looked at. Did some reading on it so I won't get bs'ed when I get a feedback on it!

ill post the outcome......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have about 15K miles on the truck and when I put it into reverse and start to backup I get a clunking noise. Took it to the dealer and they initially said it was the drive shaft and they would have to order the part. OK????? I asked them what was wrong with the drive shaft and is this a common issue (I have not heard of anything like this on this forum?). He said "Oh yes, it is very common. So then they called me up and told me they replaced the drive shaft and it was still making the noise. But, the good news was they had a NEW TSB issued just recently came out (?????). They would have to keep it for a couple of days. It was a Friday late afternoon and I was in a rental already so told them I would talk to them on Monday. I will ask for a complete run down on what the issue was, what parts they replaced and the TSB #. Then post to let everyone know. Just in case it happens to someone else.

More to come....
Ok...Here it is. TSB # 13-7-7.....It appears the 1st Step is to just add a few drops of Motorcraft Penetrating and Lock Lubricant to each of the driveshaft retaining clips, and retest. That did not work, so they removed the driveshaft, pinion nut, and removed "slinger" (I have no idea what a slinger is?). It then says, they replaced the "oil slinger" ( am I to assume "the oil slinger" is the same as "the slinger"?) and lubricated both faces of the "oil slinger", replaced pinion seal, tightened pinion nut, and reinstalled all components.

That took them 3 days???? Love dealers. Well the noise is gone, after just a lot of lubrication...We will see how long it stays gone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm taking mine in tomorrow to see if my ECU is up to date with the other TSB's, I'll have to mention that one as mine makes a clunking noise as well when shifting into drive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine was in the shop today for this same problem. Guess what they clam they replaced said slinger and something else. Still have the noise. I really dont think they did a damn thing to the truck other than move my seat about 6 different ways, turn my A/C on high (only 60 outside) and turn my sirus to the comedy channel. I will be back there Monday.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wanted to bump this again. I cant say my drivetrain/transmission clunks when I put it into reverse, and is usually very smooth when letting off the gas and getting back on it at low speeds / trying to go easy on the pedal.

But one thing I do notice, and I think it's more of a gear selection / shifting issue is that when the truck shifts down from 3rd directly to 1st when coming to a stop, if you try to get on it too early (typical when you do a slight rolling stop) it will clunk every time. Annoying as hell. Its smooth if you wait a full second after the dash display shows it's in 1st gear, or come to a dead dead stop, but if you try to get on it after stopping for only a split second, or do a fast stop and get back on it, it clunks every time you get on the gas. ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had mine @ the dealer and they replaced the driveshaft, few weeks later did the same thing ( click or snap when backing into my garage) so this time they they replaced the pinion flange, oil singer, and put a new nut and seal in. 3 weeks now seems good, must of been play in the pinion & flange splines.
its a 12 Xlt extended cab with 8' box

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have noticed that when I shift into reverse in 4wd that I get a clunking noise and a kind of stuttering or hopping sensation while turning, whether in reverse or drive. I know that while in 4wd, "hopping" is expected if turning the wheel all the way, but I don't believe that I did turn that hard. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've got this pinned down to the following scenario:

The clunk does not happen when you re-engage the pedal / drivetrain when coasting after acceleration, it only happens after the truck has been de-accelerating / slowing down. It's like when the drivetrain has been engine braking so to speak, and you go to get back on the gas to accelerate it clunks... But if you let off after briefly accelerating and get on it again, no clunk.

I can reproduce this clunk almost 100% of the time if I slow down using the brakes for a few seconds and then try to re-engage the drivetrain with throttle. Most noticeable when you slow down and come to a near stop and then try to get on the gas again, it clunks every time. But if you accelerate for a bit and then let off for a moment, it will re-engage the drivetrain smooth, so it seems like a de-acceleration / downshifting issue, like the drivetrain shifts one way while de-accelerating, and then shifts / clunks the other way when going back to acceleration.

Does that make any sense? It's easy to demonstrate when riding in my truck, so it looks like I'll be taking a certfied Ford technician with me for a drive soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Subscribed. I've got this too. It may not ever hurt a thing, but it chips away at my confidence in the truck every time I accelerate.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Same issues here.. Any feedback would be appreciated!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lots of discussion on this when you look around. Some guys say its the slip Yoke, and that most of their trucks had this problem never with any failures or problems..??..

2011 drive shaft clunk and transmission question - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

One user on the Raptor forum says that apprently Ford says the same thing... Not detrimental to the truck.

The drivetrain clunk and dealer response - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Forums and Owners Club!

Here's a video of an EcoBoost someone put up and the problem is replicated when de-accelrating then accelerating again like I mentioned:

Good feedback int he comments below the video too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah, not detrimental? Maybe. Annoying as hell on a brand new vehicle? Certainly. Mine may be a bigger issue after all though. I started occasionally getting the groaning noise that seems to be a valve body and solenoid issue.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts