F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Latest Updates:

See post #115

• Replacing downpipe with SPD catted downpipe and SPD turbo adapters, with new upstream O2 sensors. Got word that Full Race intercooler will be shipping out this week
See post #104
  • Returned the CPE intercooler because I don't want to deal with the headache of excessive condensation buildup without a weep-hole. Ordered a Full Race FMIC with Tial Q BOV. Returned the SOS coils also and going back to OEM coils and Ford Perf plugs at .028. Quite unhappy with the misleading Ford Muscle article on the Performance Distributors SOS coils. Turns out all the propaganda from that article was fed directly from Performance Distributors themselves and never tested by Ford Muscle, although thats the way the article was portrayed.
See post #93
  • Problems solved! Simple but stupid cause. Condensation in intercooler. I'm talking a good 1/4 cup from the drain plugs. I don't think anybody expected this with a brand new CPE intercooler on for only about a month, but with it cooling so efficiently, and with this cold and damp NY winter, the condensation added up super fast. CPE recommends a UPR Mega Catch Can to reduce the speed of accumulation of water, because it also has a dedicated air intake line so it will collect moisture and blow by both under boost and not. Catch can is ordered and with my new Performance Distributors high-voltage coils and Ford Performance plugs gapped at .031, I'm back to running great. Meth pressure gauge is also installed and looks amazing, pump is working just fine.
see post #85
  • After moving coils around to try to diagnose misfire, problem seems to have vanished and truck is running great. Suspected either a bad coil connection or a coil that's going bad. Replacing with Performance Distributors SOS coils, and gapping plugs back to .028 as the plug gap was ruled out as contributing factor for misfire. Meth pressure gauge ordered and HVAC bezel installed
see post #76
  • Multiple misfire and O2 CEL, limp mode on wot very cold morning. Its possible that the meth spray is blowing out spark with .028" gap. Will be closing gap up to .024" (after talking with Rodney - Pro-Meth). Also installing a liquid-filled pressure gauge to monitor Meth flow, as a way of verifying that the pump and controller are both functioning as they should. I will T into my meth line in-between the nozzle and check valve. This gauge was ordered today. Also, Full Race CAI will be in tomorrow morning :)
see post #68
  • Switched to MPT tune, and added CPE Intercooler. IAT's significantly improved, and truck feels great :)
see post #50

• As you read (specifically the updates), I feel its necessary to clarify that I am NOT a Pro-meth distributor, seller, sponsor, and I get no benefits from repping their brand. I am simply a loyal happy customer that has truly seen the difference in quality and customer service between Pro-meth and some of the other "big-name" companies
  • Running 75% methanol (Prometh has done extensive testing and highly recommend 80/20 mix as the best for all-out performance and cooling. 75/25 is close enough while being much easier to mix)
  • Ditched the TB spacer, and placed nozzle about 8" from the IC outlet (pics in post #31). Spoke with several methanol experts including the guys at Pro-meth, and confirmed TB spacer is worst place for nozzle. It has no time to mix evenly or cool the charge temps before being forced into the intake manifold, and it disperses unevenly through the cylinders. The move has produced substantially better results. Their testing done with clear tubing has proven that more bends/elbows after the nozzle the better, and coming out of a bend/elbow, the methanol mixes wonderfully with the airstream. With my location, I have basically a 90 and a 45 after the nozzle
  • Upgrading nozzle size from snow #6 (625cc) to Pro-meth 755cc to start, with a 1000cc as a plan B (still tuning). Pro-meth has the absolute most precise tolerances out of any company, so you know that their advertised flow rates are accurate, unlike some other "big-name" companies that get theirs from China with tolerances that have proven unreliable. Also, Pro-meth's nozzles have an unparalleled recessed orifice to prevent the spray from being clipped by the airstream before its allowed to dissipate. Double also, they have the largest selection of nozzle sizes out of anybody, and always in-stock
  • -replaced clogged snow check valve with a D.O. check valve, although I've come to learn after the fact that a lot of D.O.'s parts are being imported from China and the tolerances are not as consistent as some of the more top-tier companies, like Pro-meth for example. Definitely super important when choosing nozzles
Got my Snow Performance methanol kit installed, tank and pump behind my rear seat worked out perfect. Easily accessible to refill with my back seat mod. Im running 50/50 water/meth (mixed myself from a 5-gallon VP M1 pure methanol and distilled water) with a #6 nozzle, check valve, solenoid, and vc-50 controller. Have a custom tune through Unleashed and working some bugs out still with the base tune. Waiting on new plugs to come in Monday and will intstall along with boots, then proceed from there (KR was not where it should be). I am super excited to see what Torrie is able to do with this

Any input/suggestions/thoughts would be great. Thanks guys!

- 2014 Ecoboost F-150 XLT Supercrew

·
Registered
794 Posts
Suggestion 1: remove the bottle of highly flammable methanol from the passenger compartment. If you have a wreck, especially if someone'e sitting in that seat, the ending might not be pretty.

·
Super Modistrator
2,082 Posts
Gotta be a better place to put that bottle but the install looks very nice.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suggestion 1: remove the bottle of highly flammable methanol from the passenger compartment. If you have a wreck, especially if someone'e sitting in that seat, the ending might not be pretty.
With the amount of force that would be needed to rupture that bottle between the back seat and cab, I'd have bigger problems to worry about. And it's also only 50/50, so basically washer fluid. This way, it stays out of the elements, clean, and not getting covered with snow, salt, or rain

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I ran this set up on my last twin turbo diesel fr cooling and some extra HP.

I am wondering what affects these kits would have with out a tune and or a mild tune

·
Registered
155 Posts
You should consider ditching the throttle body spacer, you'll pack the rear cylinders with spray and the fronts won't get as much of the mix. Research by better vendors has proven this. Ditch the solenoid before you have failures like I did, and run a better check valve instead. Now that you've measured the install with nylon lines, ditch them as well and go for the braided lines. Check my 2 brothers build thread, I've been down this path for quite some time, it'll save you a lot of headaches and possibly more.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Revision 3 below. Not quite where I wanted to be yet performance-wise. Will be upping concentration to 75/25 and making some tweaks and proceeding from there

·
Registered
794 Posts
Revision 3 below. Will be upping concentration to 75/25 and proceeding from there
100MPH... on public roads... in the rain? Oh, and with your bright headlights into oncoming traffic, to boot.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present "State's Exhibit 1".

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
100MPH... on public roads... in the rain? Oh, and with your bright headlights into oncoming traffic, to boot.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present "State's Exhibit 1".
??? Sorry Mr. Perfect lmao. Where do I start...
#1 roads wet, sure. But not raining.
#2 divided 4 lane highway. Not a single car in sight in front of or behind me for miles.
#3 by law you do not have to dim high-beams for cars 100yrds away on the opposite side of a divided highway
#4 Maybe you have a private airstrip to test you vehicle on, I'm not so lucky. But I choose to use an empty highway at a time nobody else is out. Perhaps you'd rather me use my private neighborhood roads. Do us all a favor and don't comment if you have nothing useful to say

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
You just failed to mention that you were in Mexico.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You just failed to mention that you were in Mexico.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Figured that was obvious with how much specific attention he gave to my video

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
With the amount of force that would be needed to rupture that bottle between the back seat and cab, I'd have bigger problems to worry about. And it's also only 50/50, so basically washer fluid. This way, it stays out of the elements, clean, and not getting covered with snow, salt, or rain
Simple test you can perform to have "peace of mind", pour a bit of that 50/50 mixture on the ground and try to light it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Codycat, are you going to put it on a dyno? I just finished my snow performance meth install this week. My tuner and I will be tuning it on the dyno and seeing what number it’ll put out next week. I went with the stage 3 that reads off of boost and FPR signal. Just curious to see how different our systems are. I’m starting off with a #3 nozzle primary then a #4 for my second stage. But Iv got other nozzles I can try if I need to. I’m running a 2013 3.5 eco 4x4 on 93 octane with catless downpipes. AFR cold air and MSD coils.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Codycat, are you going to put it on a dyno? I just finished my snow performance meth install this week. My tuner and I will be tuning it on the dyno and seeing what number it’ll put out next week. I went with the stage 3 that reads off of boost and FPR signal. Just curious to see how different our systems are. I’m starting off with a #3 nozzle primary then a #4 for my second stage. But Iv got other nozzles I can try if I need to. I’m running a 2013 3.5 eco 4x4 on 93 octane with catless downpipes. AFR cold air and MSD coils.
Not sure yet. For right now, I'll just be doing remote tuning/datalogging with Torrie. I'm also running his 93 tune, but I don't have any intake/exhaust mods. Just the tune, 170 stat, and some NGK 1 step colder plugs with the meth, #6 nozzle and vc-50 progressive controller

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Not sure yet. For right now, I'll just be doing remote tuning/datalogging with Torrie. I'm also running his 93 tune, but I don't have any intake/exhaust mods. Just the tune, 170 stat, and some NGK 1 step colder plugs with the meth, #6 nozzle and vc-50 progressive controller
Good luck. I found downpipes really woke up the engine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Discovered my check valve was clogged. Have it removed for now during continued tuning. May replace, may not. Haven't decided yet , still running solenoid

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn’t put any check valves in with mine. I guess if my solenoids ever get stuck open I could run into some problems. I’m not a big fan of solenoids due to possible failure. But I guess it’s a necessary evil I have to have, especially running 2 nozzles. I’ll find out their reliability over time. I won’t be running an everyday extreme aggressive tune. So if something happens I won’t run into any issues. I’m not tuning for meth on my daily tune. Just tuning for it to help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You guys really need to read my build thread. Ditch the solenoids, they get stuck CLOSED and won't spray, I went through several of them. The electronics are not designed properly on that system to allow it to open before it pressurizes and slams shut. You'll have to unscrew the feed line to de-pressurize the system before it will work again. Love their controller, but that fuel pressure wire is 100% a waste. Read my build thread and you'll both save a lot of time and aggravation.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update: After 9 tune revisions and a couple different trial mixtures (50%, 60%, 75%) the final tune revision is completed, truck runs awesome, running 75/25 mix. Also rerouted my lines to come up along the driver side fender instead of going across the firewall and doubling back. Also added a devil's own check valve.
20191224_143501.jpg

20191224_143507.jpg

20191224_143517.jpg
20191224_143544.jpg
20191224_143559.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good deal man. I like it. I’ll post up some pics here in the next couple of days on mine. What do you have your start pressure and max pressure set at on your meth controller? Still with the #6 nozzle? I threw mine on the dyno last week but didn’t have the meth spraying. Just did some data recording and got some base numbers on stock tune and 93 tune my tuner made. I will be putting it back on hopefully the end of this week or next to do some final revisions with the meth.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts