F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

301 - 310 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #302 (Edited)
So what was the final verdict?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paid the upcharge for the remanufactured 6R80 through Street Smart Transmission. Warranty company is paying $1000 towards the trans and also covering all labor costs. New trans comes with torque converter, trans fluid (Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF) and 3-year, unlimited mile warranty, same as direct through Ford. I just didn't have to pay core charge up front like I wouldve with Ford, and shipping was free both ways, for the new trans and for the core return.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Here's a bunch blah blah blah from SST:

Our 6R80 Updates and Upgrades
► Remanufactured pump, with new line bore bushings to eliminate leaks and provide superior flow and durability.
► Wear-prone rear stator bushing completely replaced to prevent failure of the E clutch.
► Remanufactured valve body, with complete system correction and recalibration kit, improves pressure control and shift quality. Each valve body is remanufactured and vacuum tested to verify hydraulic control. All wear-prone valves in the completely remanufactured valve body are restored to stringent specifications and vacuum tested to verify proper function.
► Valve body accumulator dampers are replaced to combat known deterioration of the OE component.
► Fully remanufactured torque converter is tested for leaks, lock-up, concentricity, and balance. Upgrades exceed OE requirements and eliminate the possibility of front seal leaks, premature bushing wear, and vibration.
► Build specifications are checked by four different specialized technicians during the remanufacturing process to verify the correct application.
► All new, bushings installed in key locations to improve internal fluid flow control and fluid pressures.
► Complete system correction and recalibration kit installed to address several OE flaws. Modifications include updates to servos, the PR system, and valve body accumulators.
► Heavy-duty recalibration kit installed to reduce slippage and increase durability.
► Complete road simulation using a dynamometer testing program called C.A.R.S. (Computer Aided Road Simulation). Every transmission is cold and hot tested while using a custom-blended fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid, and filtration system.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
She's all back together :)
20200701_185342.jpg
20200701_191231.jpg

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #306 (Edited)
So I'm definitely getting a light/partial throttle shudder. Seems like the TC (which is also new). Gonna try throwing the stock tune on and seeing if that makes any difference. Also need to check the trans fluid which I'll do tonight, even tho the dealer just installed it yesterday.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
get a welding glove that goes up yoru forearm. Get truck trans past 195, then park on level ground. Shift through each gear for a couple seconds back to park. Pull dip stick still running and see where fluid is.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
So I checked the trans fluid and it's wayyyyyyy low. It is supposed to be checked at operating temperature and with the engine running. The highest I could get the trans was about 160 degrees after 45 min of driving, and the level is reading between the "N" and the "L" in the word "manual", not even in the A (cold level) or B (hot level). So I believe the low fluid is attributing to both the shudder, and possibly causing an inmacurate temp reading (should be 190-200 degrees). I checked 3 separate times, see the attached pics

P.S. welding gloves are for tradesmen.

20200702_202120.jpg
20200702_202221.jpg
20200702_202042.jpg

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
It is right next to the exhaust so you need some kind of glove is hot lol.

When i did fluid change, I filled it up cold to between the A and B mark. The Ford tech online said thats how they did all 6r80s on the shop. Hot, it is supposed to be top of B obviously. Now, when I do converter swap and again fluid change, I am going to check when hot.

It is not surpise yours is low. They could only put so much fluid in it, you started driven and it gets cycled and also fills up lines and cooler, so now it reads low. You wont have any damage driving a little low temporary like you did. The shop should have done that cycle for you though and checked it IMO.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I drive around and get it hot, then i park the truck against the wall of my garage and put it in drive. With no air flow through the coolers and the converter slipping, it heats up very fast.

It might be worth unplugging the fans temporarily cause as soon as they kick on it cools right back down.

301 - 310 of 310 Posts