F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I'm looking to possibly switch my coil packs to the brand Granatelli. I've looked at Accel, GMS, and MSD, but the Granatelli's seem to be superior (though I could be wrong).

I'd like to get some input from people that have installed them and kept them, or others who've installed them and replaced them due to some sort of issue(s).

A couple questions i have as well...

1. If I have my plugs (SP-534's) gaped at 0.030 right now and installed these (which make the voltage go from 20k to 65k), would I need to open up the gap a little more because there's so much more heat?
  2. Is there noticeably better throttle response and fuel mileage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree with both previous posts. Little to gain and a lot more money for a small or questionable gain.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Waste of money and usually lead to removal and re-installation of OEM.

Reactions: TX-Ripper

·
Registered
554 Posts
In the LS world, the MSD coils are garbage. I refuse to tune a customers car if that's what they have. We take the factory GM coils regularly to over 1200whp without issues. I like to throw a little more dwell at my coils when I tune. I did this with my ecoboost as well. Definitely improved idle stability and eliminated the occasional misfire I would get with a lot of water/methanol and high boost.

2 things can happen when doing this that the tuner should be aware of:

1. If you don't know what your doing, you can overheat the coils and decrease the life span of them.
2. If you go too far, the spark events can overlap and you can fire the plug NOT where you are intending to fire it.

I have yet to have a coil fail on any of my own cars or any customer cars yet and have not gone to a point where they were not still controllable. Just have to run the numbers to make sure at high rpm, your dwell value will not overlap between consecutive cycles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aftermarket COPs may have a slight performance benefit, but they are nowhere as reliable as OEM. It's not a matter of if they fail, but when. Usually not far past the warranty period.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! It doesn't look like there is really much of a benefit I guess, I'll save my money for another upgrade!

Reactions: Rutt3.5

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nope, and i have rarely ever seen a need in replacing all the coils. shady shops do this for the extra $$$.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Msd were 280 for all 6, dealer wants $100 a piece for stock. I tried msd coils to eliminate vibration at idle but no luck. Going to swap original stock coils and see if it helps or gets worse. E3 plugs seemed better than stock Motorcraft plugs but I don't know how many miles were on stock set. New plugs didn't remove vibration but definitely made it less noticeable than before. If stock coils don't help ill try new stock Motorcraft 580 plugs.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Hey if your having a issue at idle try this..go buy some sensor cleaner( electrical cleaner)not brake clean it leaves a coating ..take out all 3 of your air/ fuel sensors and clean them..air dry..reinstall and let the system relearn ..it normally fixes unstable idle quality issues as the sensors get coated in the intake tract With oil..

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
The Motorcraft coils rarely fail. It has been proven. MSD and ACCEL have a much higher failure rate.
Did you have the coils tested or just replaced them on a whim ?

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
Msd were 280 for all 6, dealer wants $100 a piece for stock. I tried msd coils to eliminate vibration at idle but no luck. Going to swap original stock coils and see if it helps or gets worse. E3 plugs seemed better than stock Motorcraft plugs but I don't know how many miles were on stock set. New plugs didn't remove vibration but definitely made it less noticeable than before. If stock coils don't help ill try new stock Motorcraft 580 plugs.
All the 3.5 Ecoboost engines have a slight vibration at idle. All of them. Rock steady tachometer needle and you still feel it.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
All the 3.5 Ecoboost engines have a slight vibration at idle. All of them. Rock steady tachometer needle and you still feel it.
Mine doesn't. Butter smooth.

But I run a .025" gap.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
For stock, non- aftermarket tuned, SP580's at .030 are what you want.

Reactions: Boost-A-Holic

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
For stock, non- aftermarket tuned, SP580's at .030 are what you want.
Oh, isn't it time for you to come over to the dark side?

It now feels like the truck Ford should have built.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
Oh, isn't it time for you to come over to the dark side?

It now feels like the truck Ford should have built.
I want to ! I really do !

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
2019 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Screw
40 Posts
I wouldn't use an aftermarket coil. OEM coils are more reliable and the performance gain from aftermarket is nill at best.

Also, anyone wanting Granatelli anything, I wouldn't walk away, I would RUN.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After another shop took a look at the truck, they bore scoped the cylinders and found heavy carbon deposits on intake valves as suspected. Ran an STP intake cleaner through throttle body tonight and cleaned idle up greatly. I know its risky but my warranty will cover engine and turbo replacement but not intake cleaning. So far its running better. Might swap stock coils to see if there's an difference in mileage. Still getting low mileage on highway. 15-17. Hoping for better. Cleaned map sensors again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts